OCR00450 - Metroid II "Metroid Sonata - Movement II"

Ginnsu

Metroid 2 'Metroid Sonata (Movement 2)'

*Speechless* Uhm... wow. Let’s see, how can I really describe this one? It is spooky, defiantly spooky. And it’s defiantly excellent. I’m not sure what else I can add to that. Mustin, and mellogear, that was amazing, and a really excellent piece of work. Let me go reflect on this experience for about an hour before I do anything else.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Was the beginning of this song a rip-off of something from a Beatles song? My roommate called this to my attention, and I have to agree that it sounds very similar.

I think you're right...the intro sounds just like the orchestra swell from "A Day in the Life". I think it's a sample - it's just too similar to not be one!

Perhaps the remixers would care to comment....? :)

• 5 weeks later...

Nice work on this one. The beginning was a great intro, and placed in my head a wonderful movie sequence of Samus running through these empty barren plains, with several metroids, and other alien creatures chasing her. She ends up running what appears to be an abandoned space ship, presses a button, and the door shuts behind her... once the music starts playing, I feel that she realizes where she is, and the danger is only beginning. You made me think all of that? You are something else, thats for sure!! 10 out of 10 stars!!

• 6 months later...

Is it just me, or does the beginning almost remind you of around 1:50 for about 20 seconds or so of "A Day In The Life," by The Beatles?

[edit: I guess not...]

Since I just downloaded THAT song, it's going to be hard to get that heavy breathing out of my mind and get this song into my life. :P

Also, the part that follows the orchestra swell seems fairly similar, just BARELY, to the next part in A Day In The Life

Still, an interesting piece of work.

• 1 month later...

Since I downloaded all the ocremixes lately, I might as well say that

This is one of the worst I've heard on oc. Sounds like a random midi generator + a horribly annoying off key synthetic rumble. It goes no where, provokes no mood, and grabs my attention in no way save for a gripping erge to delete the file. But I cant, I need to hang on to it for a while...

Well, I suppose if someone gave it a 10/10, I'm missing something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

i think this is great. if anyone has actually checked out the source tune, it's very umm, different. I think the remixer did an excellent job of adapting it quite well.

anyone who says otherwise, probably hasn't taken a good listen to the original.

I'd like to hear some of the negative reviewers take a better stab at it ;)

• 6 months later...

Oh yeah, Protricity. You are missing a helluva lot. It evokes quite a creepy and suspenseful mood. Admittedly, it's not too good JUST by itself, but play one of those movies in your head, like mixes like this force me to. Just can't help it, y'know? It gets into your head so well... An Omega metroid and Samus Aran, going at it like never before. The beast's claws leave deep gouges in the Chozo-forged, near-invincible metal, missiles rip chunks of flesh from its organs behind that strange, exoskeletal ribcage. Both fighters become more and more enraged until finally -- BLAM! The beast is dead in a shower of alien blood and bone splinters. Its eight eyes dim, its many hearts cease beating, leaving Samus out of breath, gasping for air inside that claustrophobic Power Suit. And that's the first 15 seconds alone! Hollywood-worthy, I say.

• 4 weeks later...

this isn't the kind of song that you can sit and purposely listen for something, cuz it probably wont come and it will make you think this song is crap (Protricity) you gotta just sit through the whole song without paying so much attention to the fine details. It will add to the empty feeling and show you what the remixers were going for. I like it, but i would say 6 or 7/10

• 2 years later...

What, yet another song Prot hated? Blehz.

Could have sworn I dropped a quick review on this a long time ago, back when I was working on Lockdown 2 (The Revenge) and verifying the source tunes of all the ReMixes. Was surprised to find I didn't.

With this arrangement, talk about turning chicken shit into chicken salad. There wasn't really much to the source at all. Props to Jon and Mustin for crafting this into a more fleshed out piece that still felt very spacey & mysterious. It's definitely a sleeper hit in my book.

• 4 months later...

More atmospheric than melodic, this is the type of song I can appreciate for it's craftsmanship but can't really get into myself. The soundscape is full of a white noise sounding fluctuation which is pretty cool, and some spacey synths on top.

Not my style at all, so I am most likely missing the big picture, but it's pretty impressive sound theater.

• 1 year later...

From Protricity's review, I was expecting much less, but this is very interesting, the kind of thing that would fit nicely as a Metroid game background track, I would imagine. My only complaint is that the piano part for the last several seconds with its short melody line, sounded out of place

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00450 - Metroid II "Metroid Sonata - Movement II"