Good headphones (~$70 maybe?)

I've realized recently, my setup is pretty much crap. I went to a Portmans music store today and decided to demo a good pair of $100 headphones as recommended by the retailer. He told me there was no real bias with the frequences, that they were evened out by his experience, and so I took a listen and immediately noticed the difference. (the headphones I bought when i first got fl studio really boost up the bass, and lower the high end frequences). anyways, the whole story isn't necessary, i was just hoping for some input on maybe how to get a good pair like that, if possible cheaper? it wouldn't help if i could lower that to around $70 or so and still get the same quality or at least close to it.

The most important thing I've learned about shopping for gear (non-instrument gear that is) is that you get what you pay for (in terms of overall quality and range of uses). $100 headphones are still cheap headphones when it comes to professional music. Regardless of how flat they are you'll never get a 100% correct mix on headphones, so what you want in a pair of headphones first and foremost is comfort. Then you want to worry about the stereo imaging.

The frequency response for most pro headphones is going to be flat or close to flat, so that's not really too important. What's more important is the character that the drivers/construction/materials all give to the sound. One pair of headphones can sound brighter or duller than another pair, and they'd both be rated for the same bias in frequency response.

Having said that, you want to make sure that you get the best overall headphones for your money, because while you do get what you pay for, you COULD be wasting your money if you get headphones intended for something other than what you're doing. Most $100 headphones are "studio standard" headphones, like Sony MDR-7506. That doesn't mean that they're THE BEST for mixing, it just means that they're quiet enough to be worn while tracking vocals, they're balanced enough to give a clear idea of the mix going to the singer, and they're cheap enough so that you can replace them easily in a professional environment.

Because they're tailored to be a "go-to" all around headphone, you CAN mix relatively well on $100-200 models, but always remember that recording studios don't rely on headphones for mixing, they use speakers because speakers let you feel the bass and the air around your head, giving you a more accurate picture of the sound. You can get a $600 pair of headphones that would be much better for mixing, but not useable for tracking because they might be open back, or too expensive to just throw around a studio between people. By that same logic you can get a $50 pair that are meant mostly for tracking and isolation, so mixing on the will give you bad results.

If you're looking for an all around good headphone for mixing, you're looking to spend at least $100-150. Anything less will only cost you more later on.

Wow, that was a lot more information than I expected, but I'm happy for it. Thank you.

It's a long story, but for the next year or so, headphones are (most likely) going to be my only option for mixing, so I was wanting to make sure I got my moneys worth for that time. I'm still a beginner, so really something to help me get through that year and hopefully longer . I definitely can spend up too $100 -- if going lower will cost quality (for mixing).

I actually forgot to get the name of the headphones he showed me (I was only on break from work, and had to rush back), and considering the music stores about 30 miles away I don't really want to drive back anytime soon. If it's not too much to ask for, do you have any suggestion at all?

You can't go wrong with a pair of Sony MDR-7506. I mixed on those for about 6 years, and they were great. I traveled a lot with them and didn't take that great care of them so they're pretty damaged now, but they're still great. I also use AKG K240 headphones, they're great too, darker sounding with a better stereo image (for my tastes). But for you I'd recommend the 7506, you can't go wrong with those.

akg k240's are a pretty popular choice in that range...i think you can usually find them online for around $100. i picked up a pair a while ago and like them so far. i definitely find them more comfortable than other headphones i've owned, and they seem pretty reliable from a mixing perspective, considering the price. but i'm definitely not an expert on any of this, so i could be way off.

edit: snappleman got to my recommendation first because he's a) faster and B) actually knows what he's talking about

The best thing is I just found a pair of the MDR's for $80. I think it was the MDR's that I demoed now that I think about it (it was a sony pair anyways) I'll look them up and make sure before I buy it, and maybe wait for some more suggestions here if any comes. Thanks for your input Snappleman : D. It's very much appreciated.

Just so you know, you won't improve your mixing any faster with better headphones if you don't actively listen and compare. Better headphones means the sound isn't as biased by the headphones - which makes the listening better and you'll get a better idea of how it's supposed to sound, but if good headphones is all it takes, lots of ppl here would be making a lot better music. Then there's ppl who mix great stuff on crap speakers/headphones. It's the listening that's important.

Get a pair of decent headphones that you're comfortable with. If you're gonna sit for hours with your ears in a pair of hi-tech earmuffs, make sure you're ok with having them on. ;)

If we already have such a track going I thought I might as well ask three questions now instead of starting a new thread later on ;)

Until now I worked with some 20$ Sennheiser In-Ears, they boosted the bass a little but that was good for what I used them for, listening to music from my iPod on the train and so on. But now they have a loose contact, so trying to listen and work with them is horrible.

I have already considered buying (more) professional headphones in the price range of the OP, so this would be the perfect time to replace my old earbuds - but I don't know how well these two models SnappleMan suggested would survive being carried around and worn here and there? I don't want to ruin them that fast, so how robust are they? Can I use them for all purposes or should I rather buy some cheaper earbuds for the "everyday use"?

My second question is, how well do they isolate noises? Because when I listen to music outside, the earbuds I had were great because the isolated the noise very well and when I work on music on my laptop... cooling 90°C temperature is loud, I guess ;)

And since many seem to suggest the K240, I wanted to ask, is it the Mk1 you mean or are you also referring to Mk2? Is there a sound difference, is Mk2 better or should I go with the lower price of the Mk1?

Thanks for answers :)

Just so you know, you won't improve your mixing any faster with better headphones if you don't actively listen and compare. Better headphones means the sound isn't as biased by the headphones - which makes the listening better and you'll get a better idea of how it's supposed to sound, but if good headphones is all it takes, lots of ppl here would be making a lot better music. Then there's ppl who mix great stuff on crap speakers/headphones. It's the listening that's important.

Get a pair of decent headphones that you're comfortable with. If you're gonna sit for hours with your ears in a pair of hi-tech earmuffs, make sure you're ok with having them on. ;)

Haha, yeah. I figured I wouldn't become a god of mixing and stuff with new headphones, but considering that I won't be having any speakers to mix on I just figured mixing would be a lot easier in the long run with something better. Hopefully at least :P

Thank you for the advice, I'll search around for some good comfortable headphones - but I'm really leaning towards the ones Snappleman suggested. They look very good(From reading reviews and stuff) : D