Mr. Thou (Cyan's Theme - FFVI)

tomaaato

Hello all,

This is my first ever post, so to start with, I'll introduce myself as Tomaaato, I am a keyboard player and bassist. Great to meet you all too =]

I have been working on a remix of Cyans theme from Final Fantasy VI, and my work in progress can be heard here:

http://soundcloud.com/tomaaato/mr-thou

For reference, here is a link to the original: http://ocremix.org/chip/6384

I am by no means a professional musician, however I would like to use this opportunity to improve my mix prior to official submission.

Let me know if you liked it, hated it, whatever, I'm happy to hear what people have to say (especially stuff regarding the mixing, all critique on that would be massively appreciated)

Thank you all in advance.

Tomaaato

I feel like the section from 1:20 to about 2:13 could build a little more, and likewise for the section after that. I think what you're getting at is that "drop" feeling the dubstep hinges on, but you can definitely build to it a bit more in those calm sections.

Also, I feel like that very last section is the kind of thing I would expect somewhere in the middle, leading back into the main theme.

Overall I really like where you've taken this, some nice brooding harmonies and it really does remind me of Cyan's rather dark look.

Thanks for this Metaphist. Certainly something I shall be bearing in mind. I already had prospects of possibly rearranging, but your comment is hopefully steering me in the right direction a bit.

I'm confident that I understand what the production tools in Logic and Reason do, and how to use them, but I severely lack confidence in saying "That's a good mix". Can anyone give me any pointers on what this track needs doing production-wise (if anything?).

Cheers all.

Just an update to what's going on with this track.

I'm going to upload a new mix soon. I feel that I haven't carved enough space in the waveform for the individual instruments, and my mix is a bit muddy in places where all the parts sort of mangle in together, and it makes it hard to distinguish between the parts. This has particularly affected my lead synth in the main riff/chorus sections.

I'm quite pleased with this little revelation of mine (came up with it in the pub), and hopefully I should be able to improve my mix.

As always, any feedback and critique is much appreciated.