Zelda OoT: Fairy Fountain

ectogemia

So here's a little wip about how some guy figured out how to mass produce red potions. Another guy figured out how to cheaply manufacture friggin glass bottles so that maybe there's more than 4 in the entire country. These two champs got together and put the Great Fairy out of business. Now she's alone in her fountain(s) all the time and slowly losing her grip on reality.

Yeah.

Maybe this wip reflects that?

link

Yeah man, this is sweet so far, really relaxing. As such, it might be a better call to switch out the clap for claves (which might be buried in there already, if my ears don't deceive me). This would also mesh insanely smoothly with the Song of Healing from Majora's Mask, if you're looking for another source to flesh it out, but then again I'm a person who enjoys putting multiple sources together. Your call. Write more!

pH

Charming and amusing story. Kinda sounds like she's locked herself up in a deep cave, content to knock back her own potion and wallow in the ephemeral atmosphere until the next weary hero stumbles in. Is this inspired by the long removed Fairy Acid mix by Aneurism? If not, definitely track that down and give it a listen.

I really like your guitar lines in the intro, It'd be great if you came back to that idea later in the mix, morphing it more into the source tune. With such a minimal source, you should definitely continue to evolve the filtering and gating that you've got going on so far.

I feel like your gated synths are playing out of key with the harp, but that might be intentional. However, with intentional dissonance, you usually want to make sure that the intent is clearly realized, aka it shouldn't be iffy.

Definitely a lot of potential here, and I guarantee it'll be compared to Fairy Acid if you submit. I think your success here hinges on how little you hold back while still maintaining source recognition. I'm really thinking some Aphex Twin/Squarepusher madness, if you're up to that - not easy, but will turn out great if pulled off.

I really like the atmosphere you've created here. It starts off very muffled deep, a kind of atmosphere I like. You're using the harp very nicely, and the arrangement is nice so far. Using another source would be a good idea, but you could probably squeeze a complete song out of the source if you did some cool things with it and/or added some original stuff.

I have to say the clap/snare doesn't work well for me. I agree with the Phonetic Hero, maybe switching it out with something else would help. I can't say for sure what it needs, though, maybe that clave idea.

Very awesome thing you have going on here man. Can't wait to see it finished.

I'm alright. Just got my computer fixed, so yay.

Still too lazy to study music theory. Still breakin' all da rulez :]

You're coming along nicely though. Keep up the WIPocalypse brah.

Well, hoo-ray!!! I just got my compy all fixed, too! The panic attacks I had every time it did its little stutter thing while it was bugged made me realize how dependent every fiber of my being is on the proper functioning of my computer. Cool!

As always, man, if you've got any wips that need some love, send em my way.

I also hear a distinct flavor of Song of Healing in this. It might be a little too minimal with some background rhythm stuff, lead, and drums, some more distinct melody running in the background would help bridge the foreground and background some.

Cool concept, and I can hear it in the execution too. Success. :D Think you can make a complete track out of this? Cuz it would be sub material.

UPDAT'D

link

By popular demand (and because it was a really, really good idea), I've incorporated the Song of Healing into this wip. How had I forgotten about that song??! I heard it on youtube after one of you mentioned it, then I started playing it on piano and soloed over it for like... forever. Such a god damn good melody.

But I digest. I added a very bittersweet string part with the descending melodic line of the Song of Healing. There's plenty of dissonance to go around, and I'm working on glitching the drums a lot more. Remember, the Great Fairy's life is falling apart. Her purpose has dissipated now that red potions are selling for the price of Deku nuts. Awwww :(

Whatcha think??

• 2 months later...

link

Sources = Fairy Fountain & Song of Healing

I dusted this wip off and mostly finished it over the last two nights after class. Man, have I lost some sleep...

It needs a little mixing and better sequencing in a couple of spots, especially from 2:12-2:35, and dblue glitch is going haywire for some reason from 1:09-2:12, so I did my best to mask that til I fix it. I'm posting this version a bit prematurely because my round to remix in Darke's Wily Remix Gauntlet is on Saturday, so I'd like to hear what you think of what I have so far now so I can ruminate on it over the week while I'm working on my Wily remix.

Here's the basic concept. The guy who invented the green potion entered into a joint venture with the guy who invented glass bottles. Now, they mass produce them for next to nothing, and no one ever goes to see the Great Fairy anymore. This remix is a trip through her psyche as she deals with her abandonment. YEP.

0:00 - 0:36 = Fear

0:36 - 1:09 = Loneliness

1:09 - 1:41 = Denial

1:41 - 2:12 = Longing

2:12 - 2:35 = HATEHATEHATEHATE

2:35 - 3:40 = Hopefulness

3:40 - End = Hopelessness

Yeah. Heavy shit, huh? :-D

Hah, can you tell I did the first half months ago and the last half over the last couple of days? I think I've picked up some chops along the way, and it shows :D... or maybe I'm full of shit??

Hopefully this is postable material, at least once I address some of the mixing issues! Thoughts?

EDIT: SUPER-BONUS!!! The lovely PROTO(dot)DOME will likely have a sax solo from about 2:54 - 3:39, so get excited!!

Yay, you finally picked it back up! Wtf though, GREEN potion?! I thought it was red... STICK TO YOUR DAMN STORY

I'm getting a bunch of weird pulsating muddiness around 2:20, maybe it's just me, or maybe you intended it to be that way. Kinda distracting though

Really dig the drum sequencing in the last (funky) chunk. The section makes the piece sound a little disjointed though, maybe because so many of the elements change for that segment. Maybe having the gated pad make a cameo in the last part would help bring things together a bit more and feel more cohesive. The bell synth is already doing a bit of that

I likes it though. Glad you finished a remix :) All the sound effects are really well placed, and only help the mix instead of detracting. Very tasteful, and tasty

I'll follow this and give you more crits when the mix is done. Gotta be on your A Game for the WCRG though!

pH

Edit: Don't ask what the jesus I'm doing up at 15 till 5...

Actually, that's a really good idea. I'll put that gated pad back in the piano interlude to make it more cohesive. In fact, I just added it. Sounds much better!

I had to change it to green potions because as a friend pointed out, the Great Fairy restores magic, so mass-produced red potions which restore hearts only wouldn't give everyone a reason not to go see her. Damn, I'm a nerd. Awesome.

That muddiness around 2:20 is the Great Fairy doing her screaming laugh, hah. I really wanted to put that sample in there, but I couldn't find a good spot. That was just laziness. The quality of the sample is awful, anyway, so I should probably take it out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...