Final Fantasy 7- Weapon Barrage (weapon raid)

Zeroboros

After waiting a couple of months to get my monitor situation handled ( I refuse to have bad mixes due to bad equipment aka 20 buck headphones) i decided to tackle a classic from final fantasy 7. love the song but didnt want to stay to close to it since you have to add some original parts of your own ( since this is short sourced this is no problem for me). finished it already but just as a precaution, i want a different pair of ears to listen to my mixdown to tell me if anything is off per se. comments and feedback much appreciated:grin:

img.php?fid=1359

Hey I liked this track, cool mix of synth and orchestral stuff and styles. That weird break in the middle thew me a bit, but hey was pretty fun to listen to.

I thought the intro bit was a bit repetitive/prolonged, but yeah def some interesting interpretations of FF7 in there, maybe even a bit too liberal in some places for my liking - but like I said, def fun to listen to =)

Hey I liked this track, cool mix of synth and orchestral stuff and styles. That weird break in the middle thew me a bit, but hey was pretty fun to listen to.

I thought the intro bit was a bit repetitive/prolonged, but yeah def some interesting interpretations of FF7 in there, maybe even a bit too liberal in some places for my liking - but like I said, def fun to listen to =)

mind elaborating a bit when you talked about the "break in the middle"? i have a good idea where your talking about but just to be sure.

Nice track. But I have a problem with your electric guitar. It sounds computer made and not hand played.

And the break at 1:59 is way cool for me :)

Haha nice sephiroth add-on into this!

At some place the mix feel more like FF6. Like 3:30 and around.

Anyway nice and neat track.

your right about the guitar, rockos. I was going to use electri6ity for the lead guitar (love my les paul set up) but that thing, just like kontakt and FL Studio, is ram hungry lol. so to save ram I decided to use some guitar synth from nexus but as you hear dosen't sound to human lol. nice call on the ff6 bits though, i slightly used a melody from the decisive battle, but you should be able to hear the part if you listen closely. but other than that how does the mixdown sound to you?

Thoroughly enjoying this track, man, nice work. The quick change of soundscapes at the beginning was disorienting at first, but after multiple listens I don't even notice at all. Sounds pretty clean all the way through. I'll talk about piano since, hey, that's what I know. I'm feeling some grace notes to the opening piano solo, and the transition into 0:42 is still a little weird, even though I'm used to it now. The backing rhythmic chords from 1:10 could be brought forward a bit; as it stands they're a little too distant to have any real punch to them. You might wanna compress the piano chords at the end a little more to get more of a stylized sound, but I can't really think of anything to say besides that. Good stuff, nice FF7 references throughout. It's great to see you back!

Good to be back in so many ways lol. Compression on the piano's sounds like a good idea.......but a piano solo from swann sounds even better XD! I know what your talking about with the 1:10 part but eq'ing smultiple sustain instruments and synths is a tricky buisness in itself thats why I had my doubts about the mixdown. For the most part im definitely taking your suggestion down and look over the piano. Thanks for the help swann

Ok. More on the mixdown so on.

I think the intro could be louder a little bit. Like the glitchy thing could get 2db boost but the piano would need to get more. It don't have to be overpowering but to get at least up on the glitchy thing.

When the guitar come in, the guitar should be louder. It's guitar you know and it have to be impressive.

Then the main part sound perfect as is.

Again, at 2:24 your piano could be a little bit boosted.

At 3:05, I would had a beautiful nice ride hat on top of the kick. Distant but present.

Until the end, it sounds good as is.

Thanks for pointing that out to me rockos. Now that i know how to eq pretty much everything properly now ( parametric eq2 is a godsend lol) I'll see if I can take care of it. I'll post up the adjustments later on today to get more feedback. afterwords, I'm posting it up so hopefully It'll pass through the judges. Was going to do it with my SF2 bison remix, but when the project file got corrupted that went out the window, so hopefully this track will do some justice.

Mmh, the intro is interesting, I like the radio/crushing effect. The percussion is cool, though I'm not a fan of the little "trrrrrrrrr" things (I really don't know what it is lol).

The transition between the two phases could use more elements, it is a bit empty. I honestly don't like the strange effects after the transition (Are you using Gross Beat or something like it?)

Otherwise, it is very cool. Outro and ending are very nice, though it is a bit abrupt. The whole thing may need more punch but I like it so far!

Hope it'll help you. :wink:

I'm going to assume the version on the first page is the final version (since nothing else is up, atm).

The arrangement is pretty fun (though there are a few moments that seem to clash a little bit, particularly at 1:13-1:14 and moments after just like it - might want to adjust the source to fit better there). The arrangement is recognizable, yet given a completely different feel. Beware of the ending, though - it IS pretty abrupt. Try softening it a little bit, there - even an FO would be better (though I hope you don't go that route).

The drums are well EQ'd, arranged and mixed. If everything else had that quality this would be an easy pass... but as it is, I think there's some EQ'ing needed to give the rest of the instruments some more poignancy. Most of the instruments are missing their highs and lows, and it seems to be constricting both their quality and volume. I don't know if you high and low passed them to give room for the drums, but it's affecting the rest of the mix negatively. For bass instruments, try sidechaining them to the bass drums, if that'll help prevent clipping. For the highs... well, try balancing the drum set highs and the rest of the instruments so they can share the space (rather than giving it all to the drums).

Yeah, it's just EQ and mixing issues I hear. The arrangement is great (save for the ending), and the style is perfect. I don't think it'll pass with the mixing issues, but with a little work I think you'll be in good shape.