Final Fantasy 7 - Slumdog Oppression (Oppressed People)

Wesley

UPDATE! I finally decided on a name for it! Slumdog Oppression! If you take a listen, please reply with some feedback. It doesn't have to be long, indepth, or more than two words, I would just really appreciate some feedback! (I need it!)

I've updated and re-arranged a few things, although there's still no EQ yet. This still has a ways to go, so I'm still looking for feedback! Thank you!

Source -

Remix - http://soundcloud.com/uuemaich/slumdog-oppression - V4

Thanks for listening!

Really good ideas in this. Its got a really different feel to the original but works well. I know you've said the structure isn't final, but it is definitely what needs the most attention.

I think you could use less reverb on your drums and a little less reverb/delay on the lead.

Just by working more on the arrangement/structure you'll get a lot out of this track. Just as an idea, the end part could be worked into a nice breakdown to lead back to the main part. Take out the bass for a few bars, then perhaps bring in each of the drums over a few bars.

Go go go and work some more on it :)

Really good ideas in this. Its got a really different feel to the original but works well. I know you've said the structure isn't final, but it is definitely what needs the most attention.

I think you could use less reverb on your drums and a little less reverb/delay on the lead.

Just by working more on the arrangement/structure you'll get a lot out of this track. Just as an idea, the end part could be worked into a nice breakdown to lead back to the main part. Take out the bass for a few bars, then perhaps bring in each of the drums over a few bars.

Go go go and work some more on it :)

Thank you! Yeah, the structure isn't final. It was just the order I was creating all of the different parts in and didn't want to move anything until I had more ideas.

I tried to take away some of the reverb from the drums and synths, so let me know what more needs to be adjusted.

In this next version I'm uploading (v3), I took away that last third step part. It's not gone for good, I just took it away to render this version. I kind of added a little break like you suggested, but in a different way.

Again, tell me what does and doesn't work. I really appreciate you giving my song a listen and replying! :) <3

I know this is a generic thing to say but you always add a hint of dubstep (wahwahwah) if you get me. Might make it even more interesting. Overall though - very good :D

I actually wanted to add a little dubstep to the breakdown at the end, but I need to work on a good sound for it first. That's why the beat is slower there, haha. Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to listen and reply! :)

Its sounding much better already with less reverb. You are definitely on the right heading in the right direction.

I like the breakdown, but all I'd say (this is just opinion) but with the break it would have more impact if there wasn't a transition to it. The more climatic the preceeding section the more impact it has. An example would be to have the sweep down, that is before the breakdown, directly after the lead finishes at around 1:48. I'm no way saying this is what you should do but just a suggestion.

Don't be afraid to add some more parts to fill some of the space and build the texture more. You've got a good style going and some really nice fat synth sounds

Its sounding much better already with less reverb. You are definitely on the right heading in the right direction.

I like the breakdown, but all I'd say (this is just opinion) but with the break it would have more impact if there wasn't a transition to it. The more climatic the preceeding section the more impact it has. An example would be to have the sweep down, that is before the breakdown, directly after the lead finishes at around 1:48. I'm no way saying this is what you should do but just a suggestion.

Don't be afraid to add some more parts to fill some of the space and build the texture more. You've got a good style going and some really nice fat synth sounds

Thank you! I actually did what you said and added the sweep down right after the main lead. It sounds better already! :)

• 2 weeks later...

From what I remember of the previous WIP this is seeming more cohesive. I just want to hear more development of the structure and arrangement.

I think at 00:42 you could do with emphasising the build/crescendo by lowering the lead line and bringing it up as you get to 00:56 or, you could add low pass-filter and sweep up with the bass.

In general, you could make more of the dynamic differences between parts. Even for the style, I think its a bit too static. The break down might have more impact if there is no bass and gradually introduced a bit later.

Good vibe, but I want to hear what you're gonna do next(which is a good thing) :)

Thank you for replying Lidawg, you're like my new best friend on here, haha. I'm glad you like what I've made so far, that means a lot to me. I'm still sort of newish to making music, after all.

I think at 00:42 you could do with emphasising the build/crescendo by lowering the lead line and bringing it up as you get to 00:56

Could you explain a little more by what you mean? I don't quite understand, sorry.

or, you could add low pass-filter and sweep up with the bass.

I don't even know what this means, haha. Like I said, I still don't understand some things about music. I've just been kind of messing around to achieve what I have. :P

In general, you could make more of the dynamic differences between parts. Even for the style, I think its a bit too static.

I completely understand! Do you know of any songs that resemble this style (I don't even know what it would be categorized as, haha) that I could listen to? I'd love to have some inspirational help. :)

The break down might have more impact if there is no bass and gradually introduced a bit later.

I'll see what I can do! :D

Good vibe, but I want to hear what you're gonna do next(which is a good thing) :)

Haha, thank you very much! I really appreciate you helping me out again! <3

Always glad to help hehe

I think at 00:42 you could do with emphasising the build/crescendo by lowering the lead line and bringing it up as you get to 00:56

Basically start with a lower volume on the lead and bring it up gradually over that section. Don't worry about filtering, I just thought I heard a bit of it going on with your bass. If you wanna know more about filtering/what it can be used for: http://www.audiomulch.com/blog/southpole-expedition-part-1-low-pass-filter-basics It talks specifically about a plug-in called Southpole but the concept is the same for other (low-pass) filters.

An example to perhaps give you some inspiration: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02064/ - I'm not saying it is exactly the same style, but there is a lot going on and a lot elements production and arrangement-wise that could be applied to your remix (used an OCremix as it seems appropriate).

I hope that's a bit clearer and of help :)

Basically start with a lower volume on the lead and bring it up gradually over that section. Don't worry about filtering, I just thought I heard a bit of it going on with your bass. If you wanna know more about filtering/what it can be used for: http://www.audiomulch.com/blog/southpole-expedition-part-1-low-pass-filter-basics It talks specifically about a plug-in called Southpole but the concept is the same for other (low-pass) filters.

Oh, okay! Yeah, I know what that is now! I've used that a lot before and never knew the name of it. :P Yes, I used a low pass filter and gradually turned up the cuttoff freq of the bass.

An example to perhaps give you some inspiration: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02064/ - I'm not saying it is exactly the same style, but there is a lot going on and a lot elements production and arrangement-wise that could be applied to your remix (used an OCremix as it seems appropriate).

Awesome! Thanks!

I hope that's a bit clearer and of help :)

Yes, it is! Thank you very much! :D

This is awesome. I can't jugde the eq since you didn't fully added it.

I can say that I love the style of sound yyou choosed.

Glitchy thing at 1:25 WAS AWESOME. This is what make me dance and scream like a crazy guy. Same at 1:48. The ambience here and so forth is beautiful. Glitchy lead. Dubstep environnement.

I'd like to se more of this as soon as it update. :)