OCR02288 - Pokémon Red Version "Abandoned Battlefield"

djpretzel

Excellent piece pu_freak. I would say that the tone of the piece does not match the title of the piece. When I think of Abandoned, the sound of the wind's howl in the desert comes to mind. This is a pleasent piece indeed, but I don't feel a sense of abandonment coming from it. Then again, that's just me :smile:

It sounds like some horrible event took place in a town, all the pokemon gone or dead. and a trainer is walking round the ruins of a gym, maybe where he won his first badge, maybe his last, maybe the one he was heading to before whatever the tragic event took place. I can see him walking up to different places, like a shattered boulder where maybe his raichu got thrown against with such a force it broke, or a crater where his sandslash dug under his enemy and got a 1 hit KO, bringing the match back to a tie. Then when the kalimba comes in, I can see the trainer coming across one of his own pokeballs in the dust, opened and empty, nothing left of his friend that used to be kept inside, then leaving it while the "camera" remains on the pokeball, gleaming in the last light of the sun.

I'm not too excited by the intro, seems a little out of place, but it doesn't ruin the piece in any way for me. The arrangement is beautiful, and it creates a story, makes you remember all those moments with the pokemon you spent so much time raising, the things the game stands for. And what I like best about this arrangement, and what I look for most in ANY arrangement, is that it takes a familiar piece of music and makes you think of it in a completely new way. The next time I enter a gym in a pokemon game I will remember this track.

Excellent piece pu_freak. I would say that the tone of the piece does not match the title of the piece. When I think of Abandoned, the sound of the wind's howl in the desert comes to mind. This is a pleasent piece indeed, but I don't feel a sense of abandonment coming from it. Then again, that's just me :smile:

I disagree, I think the title fits perfectly! This is a really nice, emotional piece of music.

finishing off with the "sad reflection of the happy memories" (shift at 3:58)!!! excellent work

It's more like - your last pokemon is poisoned, and no matter what, it'll faint the next turn. Your opponent is almost at full HP. You beg for a crit - which doesn't come. Nice try, but you KNOW the game is over. The ending gives some sense of impotence...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This mix is a little on the quiet side for me. It has a brooding feel to it, making good use of an interesting combination of a small portion of orchestration to compliment a primarily piano dominant song. The concept is certainly executed pretty well here, so a congrats on a first mix to pu_freak! Bout time you broke through!

• 10 months later...

I REALLY wasn't expecting this kind of ReMix when I saw that it was of the Gym theme (didn't read the write-up until it started playing. Title should have been a clue though), which is really cool because it's a nice example of the many ways a mix can take a source. It's almost what would be played if Team Rocket did more than hold one building in every town hostage and actually destroyed the place, Gym included. Good lord, the arrangement is so dark and empty and kinda sorrowful, that it pretty much blew me away. The production issues everyone else brought up was the only real negative here, and it doesn't even bother me that much honestly. Piano was great and I really dig the music box bit at the end as well. Damn good Pokemon Remix, fella.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02288 - Pokémon Red Version "Abandoned Battlefield"