Nier 'Song of the Ancients' (w/ Sabrina's vocals) + Zelda OoT: Gerudo Valley + Video

DjMystix

First off, this is great work -- a great way for me to return to the WIP forums, I must say!

I'm a huge fan of how you've added so much richness via variety of texture and their placements in the mix, something the (Nier) original lacks. The piece begins by giving us this warm, murky texture where notes are somewhat unclear, except for the piano which pierces that texture. When Sabrina enters, it's unclear at first to which realm she belongs, that of the "ancient" murky texture, or the "present" piano texture -- I'd suggest that the answer may well be both simultaneously. Even as the drums pick up and bring us towards a more forward ("present") placement of things, the more murky synths stick around, giving us a context in which to listen to the lead parts. Incidentally, the piano sound on the Gerudo interlude does not pierce the veil, if you will, as much as the Nier melody on the piano during the introduction -- is is mastered differently here, or have we as listeners been trained to hear it differently as a result of what has previously occurred?

It's to your credit that you delay giving us the Gerudo melody in the second bridge section -- it certainly heightens both our expectations that we receive it, and the moment when the cello soars to give it to us. Speaking of which, excellent job differentiating the two with regard to timbre also -- it would have been very simple (and worse, obviously) to just stick in the piano again.

I wonder if you had ever considered a slightly longer ending that played more with the contrast between the synths and the instrumental? With such an interesting buildup to your full instrumentation, it may be equally interesting to pull us back to where we began over a longer period of time.

Lastly, to Sabrina: What a nice voice you have! You manage to maintain a nice forward tone without coming off as too bright, barring a couple vowel endings where I feel the diphthong begins to emerge a little early. This is extremely nitpicky because otherwise I think you sound gorgeous; as a result, I have nothing broader to address. This feels like it is in a comfortable lower range for you -- I wonder how your tone changes as you really let loose, both in volume and towards the ends of your range?

Yeah, I second the notion that the piano needs to be a little bit less forward/bright in the mix. Throw some verb on that bitch!

Past that, this is really really good. I feel like you could do a little bit more with your drum fills/transitions to better match the level of energy of the rest of the track. For example, your snare is super-muffled which works sometimes, but for the more dramatic parts it just comes off as weak.

I'm really digging the vibe, this is one of your most epic, glorious arrangements to date, it did start to drag just a little bit toward the end when the overall song didn't increase in energy. As-is, this would probably still be a pass, but it could definitely stand to have a little bit more dynamics as far as the energy level goes. Make what you will of that, I still really enjoyed this! The Gerudo Valley sections particularly sounded great :-)

First off, this is great work -- a great way for me to return to the WIP forums, I must say!......

Dude! Thank you so much for the kind words. we're glad you enjoyed the track. Your review makes me feel very confident about the track :)

Yeah, I second the notion that the piano needs to be a little bit less forward/bright in the mix. Throw some verb on that bitch!

The piano already has some reverb applied but it isn't very obvious because of the heavier influence of pads (in the beginning) and even heaver strings in the first bridge. Still, I tried playing with it, didn't like it and reverted it back. I've adjusted the velocities a bit though :)

Past that, this is really really good. I feel like you could do a little bit more with your drum fills/transitions to better match the level of energy of the rest of the track. For example, your snare is super-muffled which works sometimes, but for the more dramatic parts it just comes off as weak.

Yeah I have to agree that I re-used the fill-ins too much. tbh, I was so incredibly tired when I finally decided to lock this track down. I will go back and try to add some more variety before handing it over to judges

I'm really digging the vibe, this is one of your most epic, glorious arrangements to date, it did start to drag just a little bit toward the end when the overall song didn't increase in energy.

This makes me a bit worried because my number one priority in all my work is always to keep things fresh all the time (primary reason I blend multiple sources together :)). I always try to be very careful about the length of my mixes. For this track, I tried to write an original, somewhat "emotionally powerful" ending to keep the listener's interest intact. I hope it didn't bother you too much because I haven't heard "drag" complains from anyone else (or anywhere else).

As always, many thanks for your valuable comments :) We'll try to do what we can to this mix and then pass it on to Judges, hoping it'l get through!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good job on the collab guys - this reminds me of the ending themes of a lot of games - they're always brilliant - in particular "world with me" from phantasy star online (meaning world with me is particularly brilliant but it doesn't necessarily remind me of yours that much - not because it's not brilliant). I've always wanted to do a track like this - just a brilliant vocal pop song.

Good integration of zelda themes - they work really well. :)

Rambling cos i like it.

This is stunning, awesome work! Gorgeous vocals, what language is that by the way? I'm loving the take on Gerudo Valley, it breaths new life into the theme. I'm not familiar with the Nier soundtrack, but that is great as well. Good luck with the submission process!

EDIT: I see the language was invented, even better!