I did it once and I'll never do it again

Jax Mandrake

In the original Disgaea, you could only get the best weapon in the game (Yoshitsuna, if I recall) by going into a difficult dungeon and delving to the bottom (100 levels of dungeon). Then, you had to steal the sword from an enemy. The steal chance is 1%. I literally tried 99 times and on my 100th try I got it.

On a side note, I was playing at the time with a friend of mine who was into mathematics, statistics, etc. I was joking that because I had tried 99 times, it would obviously work on the 100th time. He said something like, "No, probability doesn't work that way!" And then of course I got it on #100 and he was literally gaping. Haha.

Related, but if your Thief is higher level than the Item God or if your Stealing Hand's HIT Stat is higher than average, you get better than a 1% chance to steal. And it gets worse every game after that. /Disgaea Nerd

Playing Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn on US Normal Mode (which is Japanese Hard). Get all the Emblems in Sonic Adventure 2. Get all the Gold Medals in Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Rogue Leader, and Battle for Naboo. Beating Pixy on Very Hard in Ace Combat Zero in an F-4E Phantom II. A-Ranking every mission in Mega Man Zero 2 and 3. Going through Mega Man Zero 1 without using any cyber elves at all. Beating half of F-ZERO GX's Story Mode on Very Hard.

There's probably more I'm forgetting.

That sounds like it would cause unnecessary twisting on your fingers; why not D for R?

I tend to use L with A in MegaMan Zero games, so I want to be able to push both at nearly the same time rather easily, and still be able to hold R for the Z-Knuckle and push B for any rapid buster stuff. S was more comfortable than D for that purpose since my ring finger would be pressing S, and it wouldn't be blocked as much by my middle finger. :D

Beating The Lord of the Rings volume 1 on the SNES using no passwords other than the ones I myself acquired without any of my companions dying for the best ending.. Playing that game in itself was enough to make me feel life wasn't worth living with that music.. and those caves... OH GOD THOSE CAVES..

I once beat the first Star Tropics. Good game, but super frustrating at times. If i remember correctly, my roommates stopped watching me play it out of fear that a flying controller would get a little too intimate with their face. I also made it to the Technodrome on the first TMNT for NES. I can't imagine putting myself through that again.

I smell stream material for a pH Indy visit

Since I'm already posting, ummm.. I guess, like... saving everyone in MMX6? Not really much point in doing it again, because not everything is necessary to beat it. I do love look of the blue Z Sabre you get by equipping the Sabre Plus though :D

My third playthrough of Pokemon Yellow, I fought my way through the entire game using nothing but the starter Pikachu. (And HM slaves, of course, but they did no actual fighting.)

Did something similar with a Red playthrough, too, although I used six Pikachu for that one, two from Viridian Forest and four from the Power Plant. (And again, HM slaves too.)

I remember in the old Nintendo Power issues when they'd give you some info on the staff, and one of the items was "Greatest NES Achievement". The one I saw most often that I always wanted to say I did was getting to Ganon in the original Zelda without a sword. It really isn't any more challenging, but it is definitely a lesson in patience and tedium.

because you graduated, right?

I did. Got my B.S. in Medical Laboratory Sciences. But in the future, some job may want me to get certified in PET/CT as well as my current nuclear medicine certification. Even if they pay for it, I don't think I could go through it again.

Speaking of which, I have an interview tomorrow morning here in North Carolina. I actually drove 850 miles for it today. Could use some prayers and well wishes if anyone is willing.

Going through Calculus II in college. Taylor series, Taylor's Inequality, and all those series convergence tests were horrendous. Somehow I made it through with a 93.35%. xD

This crap right here is when I stopped paying attention in class. Taylor Series isn't "Calculus", in my opinion--it's just approximation and, honestly, memorization. It's clever, and I appreciate having the equations for it in reference form, but it isn't proper math and it felt like a cop out for learning higher-level material.

On topic, I did finally end up SSing Backup Shift in Dustforce. What came afterwards was so horrifying that I don't think I'll even bother completing all of it in the first place. It was definitely worth a shot, though!

On a dare, I beat Mario 64 with all stars in under 8 hours. Not the most difficult feat, but not one I care to revisit either. That game is supposed to be fun, not stressful.

I gotta try this some day.

I probably won't succeed though. I *love* Mario 64 (I really do think it's the epitome of charming and it's always a joyous experience collecting all 120 stars) but I don't think I could do it in 8 hours. Not that the game's difficult, but it's just too strenuous doing things in one go. I find the game really great in small doses but pretty annoying as a whole.

When I play through the game, I try to get certain stages over with. It's generally a success: I clear Lethal Lava Land in less than 7 minutes and other levels follow a similar timeframe (Wet-Dry World and Big Boo's Haunt are surefire runner-ups).

My last playthrough was done in one go at a friend's and took way too much time. I'm not sure if it was my controller or what but I didn't feel like Mario was doing what I wanted him to. An example is Rainbow Ride's 100-coin star... I died FOUR times at 90+ coins and at other parts due to stupid reasons (such as Mario slipping somehow and falling off the cliff, or a longjump magically turning into a "shortjump"). That 100-coin star alone took me an hour's worth of attempts and it wasn't even really that fun, honestly. Thankfully it was the last star I needed (aside of Bowser in the Sky 8 red coins)

My third playthrough of Pokemon Yellow, I fought my way through the entire game using nothing but the starter Pikachu. (And HM slaves, of course, but they did no actual fighting.)
I've done this in every game ever; Pokémon is incredibly broken.

All you need to do is grind a bit before the first Gym, then you're always at least ten (if not twenty) levels higher than anything else in the game. Easy mode engaged.

I'm a really big fan of rhythm games. As I get older and play games less and less, my over gaming muscle isn't what it used to me. I really got into DJ Hero 2 awhile back and decided to try getting a 5 Star rating on every song. I was able to do it for every song except the final mega mix (each tier starts off with a mega mix that is 3-4 songs long). After trying many many times and always coming up short I ended up shelving the idea.

A few months later I'm at my buddies place and decide to pop in the disc for the hell of it. I some how 5 star that bastard on my first try after not playing for months and I haven't been able to do it again since. Of course I wasn't on my console or logged into my profile, *sigh*... Maybe it was playing without lag on the older TV or that phenomena when you put something down for awhile and pick it up again and are some how better at it. I don't know, but the few times I've tried it at home I haven't even come close. My turntable has been gathering dust for about a year now.

Link to the song if anyone is interested

Of course the guy makes it look so easy :-P

Hey, you know what's funny? I'm on my way back from that interview right now and there is a snowstorm in virgina right now. I have been sitting here in the middle of the freeway for the past 2 hours with my car turned off. I just opened my laptop to watch a video or something and there seems to be an open connection. Must be from a nearby car. I hope I can get off of this highway soon because I'm getting really bored. This is something I definitely don't want to do again.

EDIT: Looks like they shutdown the interstate. Kind of stupid that they trapped us all here. What if a zombie herd comes after me?