I did it once and I'll never do it again

Jax Mandrake

Update: Finished God of War III - not sure that I like the ending. Origins games next up - when I feel like it.

Anyway, as I edit my scripts for my (eventual) upcoming show, I remind myself of another instance. I like the LEGO Star Wars games, but in the original, I dread the vehicle stages (Mos Espa Podrace, Geonosis Gunship Battle) because they can be unforgiving. I'm glad they moved the original stages to an optional area in the Complete Saga package and replaced them with decent versions.

Also, I am definitely not going to even try to get through Super Story Mode. Ever.

if a game starts becoming a chore rather than fun that's usually the point when I stop playing it completely. who gives a fuck about collecting all of the stars or getting a certain time in a race unless there's an actual reward or it's fun to do.

Pretty much my philosophy. Rare ruined me for collectathon's back on the 64. I got 105% or whatever it was on DKC64, and now any collectable without a really nice reward I ignore.

Other than that, I beat Perfect Dark on Perfect mode. I've talked to a handful of other people who have done that. Was mostly a lot of fun doing it at the time, but now I really feel no need to play most games, especially FPS's, on the harder or hardest difficulties.

The Grumble Volcano shortcut during an online race: http://youtu.be/joMbFFk6WZ8

When playing online, you only have one shot to get up there, and I managed to pull it off on the first try. I only did it once because it's really a dick move, but that particular race was full of cheaters/hackers anyway.

And I pulled off another shortcut during a time trial: http://youtu.be/nxrsW9abfAw?t=2m9s

did you ever unlock all the maps in the combat simulator, i always wanted to but i always got stuck on challenge 22

Ugh, somewhere around there I stopped the simulator challenges. There were what, like 26, 28 challenges? I think I three-starred up until 24 or 25, when they started just making the challenges lame, with multiple PerfectSims (cheating bastards, those guys) against you. Stupid. As it was, I got up to rank 5 or 6. Multi was fun on that game, but I was really about the campaign.

• 2 weeks later...

I said that I would never play dark souls again, but I'm actually doing it!!! But I deleted the firmware update so I could do the infinite souls glitch. Looking behind me, my souls are going up at a rate of 4,000/sec and I'm currently at level 130 with 11.5 million souls and counting.

Basically, I feel that this game owes me something for all that hard work and that abysmal ending. I'm getting my revenge.

What? Don't look at me like that. I already beat the game without any cheap tricks so I've got nothing to prove. I'll probably leave it for another couple of hours before stopping there. Should be a lot more fun this second time through.

EDIT: Up to 20 million souls. Think I'll stop after another 5 million.

I bought a game made by Disney.

Unless it's The Incredibles, then that is a lesson learned too many times that took too long to get to my thick head that a Disney game will never be good.

The older games for the Genesis or whatever don't count because they were actually made by Capcom or something.

Examples of me thinking "what the crap was I thinking" was blowing money on the Tangled video game (WTF?) and I got Ratatouille game (and that one wasn't nearly as bad but still crap).

Still asking myself why I wasted 20 bucks on Tangled. Not as bad as some really awful games out there, but the game was so obviously made for 5 year olds. The hours of gameplay is 7 hours. 7. hours. And it is the absolute easiest game on this Earth that was rated E and not eC.

I bought a game made by Disney.

Unless it's The Incredibles, then that is a lesson learned too many times that took too long to get to my thick head that a Disney game will never be good.

The older games for the Genesis or whatever don't count because they were actually made by Capcom or something.

Examples of me thinking "what the crap was I thinking" was blowing money on the Tangled video game (WTF?) and I got Ratatouille game (and that one wasn't nearly as bad but still crap).

Still asking myself why I wasted 20 bucks on Tangled. Not as bad as some really awful games out there, but the game was so obviously made for 5 year olds. The hours of gameplay is 7 hours. 7. hours. And it is the absolute easiest game on this Earth that was rated E and not eC.

I dunno, Split/Second was pretty good. Shame there won't be a sequel.

Playing Super Meat Boy all the way through. I love the game, and looove the soundtrack, but I raged too, too, too too many times playing through it. Partially because my space bar didn't always accept input (I needed to replace my keyboard, bad) thus increasing my deaths by about 20%, but also just pure rage.

What the... You played through it with the keyboard? Bravo, sir, bravo.

I dunno, Split/Second was pretty good. Shame there won't be a sequel.
^ This. Such an amazing game, later shamelessly ripped off by Ridge Racer Unbounded.

Speaking of Split Second Velocity:

. Best enjoyed with choppy framerate and a broken left analog stick...

Also, Hardcore mode in Dead Space 2. Trying to keep your 3 saves for the later parts of the game. Dying like a moron in a vacuum.

Apparently in Dead Space 3 you have to beat the game without dying once to complete Hardcore. Game is supposedly 20 hrs long. :dstrbd:

What the... You played through it with the keyboard? Bravo, sir, bravo.

Yeah, I did, lol. I didn't even realize it was that big of an achievement until I looked at some forums - I thought the whole "you should really use a controller!" messages at the beginning of each load-up was some sort of joke on the part of the creators.

Do note that most of these games are great classics.

• The fourth stage in BTDD. I had to save state on the emulator and quick load the last moment of the fight against the Dark Queen's ship soooo many times... but it felt great to clap a childhood challenge (that stage plus the entire game). That was my reward. Never again, especially without save states.
  • Moonwalker. Yes, with Michael Jackson.
  • Star Wars Ep 1: Racer: the Abyss track was so hard. I couldn't beat it; my brother had to do it. My favorite racer was Neva Kee, but the only person that we could ever beat it with was Bullseye Navoir. Smooth turns kept you on the upper track. Nevermore.
  • Mortal Kombat 2 and Shaolin Monks. Beat it, and swore never to respect Shao Kahn for being such a coward. Again? Nope, fuck Shang Tsung, fuck Kintaro, and fuck Shao Kahn.
  • Managed to kill Carnage in Maximum Carnage. I had to get high to do it. Love the music, but I'll never mess with Carnage's bad ass anymore. Too much badass.
  • Never got every emblem in Sonic Adventure 1. Too disappointed with such a broken, chancy PoS of a Sonic game (1 minute, Sky Deck, Knuckles) . As for Sonic Adventure 2, which I liked, I can brag about my geometrically complicated mind and say that I clapped Rouge's Mad Space in minutes, all A-rank, but what in the fuck would I do that to myself for? Craziest shit since Trigonometry.
  • Motherfuck Sonic Heroes. Just fuck that assy game.
  • Rayman 2 was almost one of my favorite games until I saw the ending. That sapped it of replay value completely.
  • JGR and JSRF.
  • Starfox Adventures: friggin' tired of saving Slippy Toad's ass.
  • Spawn Armageddon.
  • MvC3. 2 was better.
  • Final Fight.
  • The final showdown in event mode on SSBM. I could beat it only with Samus.
  • All-Star on very hard in Melee; anything hard in multi-man melee, especially getting a lucky TKO in any SSB Cruel mode with every character.
  • SSBM again: getting that punching bag to fly with Craptain Falcon.
  • Duck Dodgers.
  • Yoshi's Cookie.
  • The level in SMW with the unsteady platforms in the sky that sink if you stand too long, plus the Ghost Ship. Oh, and the Special levels... The last time that I played those was at Taucer's house.
  • Left 4 Dead 2... yeah, I beat it easily but I can still hear that Witch...
  • Any Call of Doodoo or Gears of Bore.
  • Someone mentioned the annoying parts of Jet Force Gemini. Great game though.
  • Capcom vs SNK: last SNK challenge featured a complete asshole.
  • Power Stone 2. Love the extra characters but 1 was better.
  • Brawl.
  • Max Payne.
  • PoP: Sands of Time.
  • Contra. NO. PLEASE GOD, NO!
  • Honest to God, Mario 1 through 3. I'm serious, fuck if I'm skilled.
  • Super Mario Land, on one set of batteries. This was before I knew about emulation. Those gameboys were bricks.
  • Blast Corps for three seconds. That was hard. NEXT!
  • Kirby 64. Disgrace to Kirby.
  • Castlevania 64.
  • Bushido Blade series
  • Crash Bandicoot. Fuck him.
  • Halo.
  • DBZ Hyper Dimension.
  • DBZ Sagas. PoS.
  • The mini-game coaster in Mario Party 2. SO UNFAIR AND SO UNWORTHY WHEN YOU BEAT IT!
  • Turtles in Time. No more of that madness.
  • SoR3 would be worth it if the soundtrack didn't suck so bad.
  • I would play SM64 again, but all I get is a kiss, some cake, 100 lives, a glittery triple jump, and no classic jockey fun with Yoshi! You're an asshole, Yoshi, a complete asshole.

I could name more, but

800px-Wtt.jpg

FFFFUUUUUUUU!!!