Final Fantasy VI "Cantata For Dancing IV"

derako

Hello OCRemix!!

It has been WAY too long but I wanted to announce that Jeremy and I are officially at work on the fourth installment of the Cantata For Dancing. We're both VERY excited about this piece for many reasons. One reason in particular for me is that I've completely upgraded my hardware infrastructure and have installed a 64 bit OS on all my DAW's. I've also invested in new, higher quality sample libraries that will make the difference in this piece. As always Jeremy has put significant thought and energy into this piece of 12 and half minutes O.o We'll keep you posted as we progress through the production process.

Thanks and get ready!!

-Derek-

Wait, 4th? Where's the third? O_O

I love the first 2, so I definitely want to listen!

Sorry to clog the thread but I think this needs to be addressed publically. The 3rd movement never made it to OCR because it was never finished. I did sample it and Jeremy did finish the composition but a storm wiped out my entire DAW infrastructure and I lost all the audio data I had produced for it. Since the audio data had taken me months to create I didn't have time to redo it. Fortunately before it happened I released a beta and it's all thats left. Currently it's on youtube so search for "Also Sprach Kefka" you'll find it.

-Derek-

This week I finished the Trumpets. As this is the first time I'm using Hollywood Brass and Hollywood Strings it's challenging my way of sampling. I've had to rethink my methods and adapt the samples in different ways. It's a good change and will be necessary for me to take my sampling to the next level, but nevertheless, challenging. French Horns are up now. Just loaded up the main sustain patch, awesomeness!

-Derek-

This week I wasn't able to work on as much as I had hoped but I got the French Horns about half way done. They sound amazing along side the trumpets, I can't wait to post a demo. At any rate I should be finished with them by next week and plan to move on to the Trombones which will be the biggest challenge of the piece in my opinion. Nevertheless, things are progressing.

-Derek-

This week I was able to work closely on the trombones which was a real challenge. The way that the hollywood brass trombones were recorded, it made it difficult in terms of velocity and volume in certain parts. I believe I got it down and I was able to get through the first half of the piece. This week I'll be working on the tuba. I don't suspect that this one will take that long. After brass I start the real challenge which is Hollywood Strings Diamond. We'll see how long that takes :-?:)!!

Thanks for reading,

-Derek-

This week I was able to finish the brass. So it's done for the most part. Jeremy will give it the final stamp of approval and I'll probably have to change some things but it's all good. Just an FYI, The brass sound excellent. If you like epic brass clusters you will like this piece. I got to work with the strings a little this week before going away for the weekend. it's going to be beautiful. Hollywood Strings are going to make this piece shine.

Thanks for reading,

-Derek-

Sorry to clog the thread but I think this needs to be addressed publically. The 3rd movement never made it to OCR because it was never finished. I did sample it and Jeremy did finish the composition but a storm wiped out my entire DAW infrastructure and I lost all the audio data I had produced for it. Since the audio data had taken me months to create I didn't have time to redo it. Fortunately before it happened I released a beta and it's all thats left. Currently it's on youtube so search for "Also Sprach Kefka" you'll find it.

-Derek-

That's really a shame to hear. Is there anywhere I can download an mp3 of the beta version?

He had a thread with it some time ago.

Actually, I'm surprised that you didn't submit this track to OCR, Derek. I understand that you wanted to make a few changes to it, but since you now can't it's kind of a shame to leave it to be forgotten. It really is an awesome track, in it's own right.

Also, excited to hear the newest Cantata! :grin:

EDIT: I let your player just run through some tracks. Just saying that your FF8 arrangement was very well done, as well. I likes it.

EDIT2: Also your FFVII arrangement. Fucking damn, man, I love your Cantata arrangement, but you're seriously holding out on us. This stuff is amazing.

Actually, I'm surprised that you didn't submit this track to OCR, Derek. I understand that you wanted to make a few changes to it, but since you now can't it's kind of a shame to leave it to be forgotten.

Thank you for your kind words. It was a disaster that the storm wiped out my data and that I couldn't really FINISH the piece. I thought that it was pretty good too but Jeremy hadn't approved the final version yet and he had wanted to change a few things. Minor things but nonetheless we didn't feel as though it was appropriate or fair to our fans to release something that wasn't approved and finished to the best it could sound on OCRemix. So I released it on my webpage. And it's not like it has been forgotten, there is a big following of the entire Cantata on youtube. Over 135,000 hits for Mors Ego Sum Mortis alone.

Thanks again,

-Derek-

This week, being done with the brass for the most part, I focus more on the Strings. The 1st and 2nd Violins to be specific. Man, I can't believe how powerful of a computer you need to have to run this stuff. Hollywood Strings is a monster, thats for sure. That being said the quality and the progressions you can pull off with it are amazing. They also blend and stand out against the brass which really says alot to the quality and realism of the patches. Cool stuff! Thats all for this week. Slow goes it but I want to do this right and this is a huge piece of music.

-Derek-

Ok so this week wasn't too productive. I wasn't happy with the how the strings were sounding... They were sounding a little muddy so I started over with them and added "close mics" and it made all the difference. So I'm just going back over and messing with controllers, volume, etc to get it where I want. Thats about all for this week.

-Derek-

UPDATE: So I've restarted the strings with the close microphones mixed with the main mics and that seems to be a good mix. The String runs are perfect, clear, smooth, precise.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished up the Violin runs for the 1st half. Having issues bouncing tracks in Sonar X1 and with PLAY but I have work arounds.. Be warned, if you want to upgrade your system from Windows XP to Windows 7 64bit make sure there are good drivers for your existing hardware. I've had to put a lot of money into this project due to driver issues. Anyways stay tuned,

-Derek-

• 3 weeks later...

In my update this week I wanted to give you all some information. Just so you all know this piece is all instrumental. There will be no additions of a choir with this one. Jeremy and I thought you all should know this as the previous movements had a choir. I will say however that if you appreciate Final Fantasy VI and you love powerful and expressive pieces of music, you will enjoy this piece. I plan on posting a demo next week.

-Derek-