Final Fantasy VI "Cantata For Dancing IV"

derako

So I'm sorry that I haven't posted an update in a while, totally my bad. But to make up for it the "Teaser Demo" is ready!! This demo is about a minute long, 1/12 of the actual piece :razz: This passage highlights the dungeon theme with classical referrences. Please keep in mind that the percussion and the woodwinds aren't sampled yet, they're softsynth right now. You won't hear much of them in this demo but I wanted to mention it. So without further delay, Happy New Year OCRemix and enjoy!!!

Cantata For Dancing IV Teaser Demo

I think it's safe to say that you guys have risen the bar on this one. I'm excited for the full piece now!!

Thanks for the plug. Hollywood Strings and Hollywood Brass, both Diamond Edition were used on this piece. This is a very small section of music but exciting. The reason this section were used was because we wanted to highlight the brass swells in the first section and the string runs in the second section. Both of these highlights have been difficult in the past to emulate. Now with these new libraries we can make them sound very realistic. The piece is full of both brass swells and string runs. Hopefully Jeremy and I will get some feedback here, we both want to know if we're on the right track.

Thank you for turning your attention to

! I always liked that track, such power, such menace! In my opinion, any treatment of Kefka is incomplete without it. Kefka's
is an expression of his twisted personality, showing his whimsy and his malice as two sides of the same coin, evoking both sympathy and revulsion. Last Dungeon bypasses any such apology and goes straight for the reality: his very existence is an unmitigated disaster of incomparable proportions, and he must be eradicated without hesitation. As such, it also speaks of the bravery of his opposition's champions. The two interpretations are inseparable, since the main characters are molded into heroes by the conflict between their individual qualities and Kefka's madness. In a sense, Kefka created them so they could destroy him for the good of all.

Enough about my interpretation of the original... Your track seems to take things in a slightly different direction, which is of course a big part of OCReMix. The wild strings and the variable pacing create a moaning, wailing quality, like the screams of the tortured, though you temporarily resolve this back to the measured, militaristic cadence of the original, about which I've already written. So your version perhaps combines both aspects, which is appropriate because this isn't a video game, it's pure music. It has to say more, it explains itself without visual aids. It's also free to move between themes in a way that a video game can only do in a cutscene.

As for the performance (let's call it that)... to my uneducated ears, it's as good as live. I know from your previous work that it's all samples shaped by hand, but that's just knowledge. As I listen, what I feel is entirely at odds with what I know, and what I feel is that it's live, that you have a private symphony orchestra, exceptionally talented and disciplined, and they're being played for all they're worth by a director who doesn't hesitate to make them sweat blood and lay bare their souls. In conclusion: :nicework:

Enough about my interpretation of the original... Your track seems to take things in a slightly different direction, which is of course a big part of OCReMix. The wild strings and the variable pacing create a moaning, wailing quality, like the screams of the tortured, though you temporarily resolve this back to the measured, militaristic cadence of the original, about which I've already written. So your version perhaps combines both aspects, which is appropriate because this isn't a video game, it's pure music. It has to say more, it explains itself without visual aids. It's also free to move between themes in a way that a video game can only do in a cutscene.

I agree. Is the whole piece like this: tempo, style, etc, or is there variation?

I agree. Is the whole piece like this: tempo, style, etc, or is there variation?

Lol, we wanted to show off two of the faster bits, so I guess it's easy to conclude the entirety of the 12 or so minutes might be similar, but it's not. There are plenty of tempo changes and I can assure you that the first part of the piece is very much the march we all know and love, and then it undergoes several variations and transformations.

Lol, we wanted to show off two of the faster bits, so I guess it's easy to conclude the entirety of the 12 or so minutes might be similar, but it's not. There are plenty of tempo changes and I can assure you that the first part of the piece is very much the march we all know and love, and then it undergoes several variations and transformations.

From what you say I'm sure it'll be technically amazing. Thank you Jeremy!

-Laura-

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

So there have been some updates with the piece. I'm now working on the woodwinds, which are a lot easier than the brass and strings so it shouldn't take long to complete them. Also Jeremy and I have decided on a name for the piece. It will officially be named "Towermarsch" This is an estimation but I believe the piece will be finished or very near finished by the end of the month. I'm getting excited!

-Derek

• 3 weeks later...

So things have been slow going the last few weeks. Thats mostly due to Skyrim .. Sorry, it's an awesome game. But now I'm getting back into the sampling mood and will now rally to attempt to finish this monster. Stick with me people, I WILL get this finished. And if my hunch is correct, it will be accepted by the judge team. (Hopefully) ;-)

-Derek

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
How's this coming along?

Wow this is a long time to wait for an answer ;) Well if you didn't know already this piece of music is being featured in the FFVI Tribute album "Balance and Ruin" So next month when it's released, we'll all finally be able to hear it :) Trauermarsch has been finished since August though. So I'm excited for everyone to hear it.

-Derek-

Wow this is a long time to wait for an answer ;) Well if you didn't know already this piece of music is being featured in the FFVI Tribute album "Balance and Ruin" So next month when it's released, we'll all finally be able to hear it :) Trauermarsch has been finished since August though. So I'm excited for everyone to hear it.

-Derek-

So, what becomes of I though III? Are they on the album too? (Yes, I know I and II were posted on OCR.)