OCR02289 - Mega Man 9 "Origami Robots"

djpretzel

• 1 month later...

Only one post after this whole month? :\ This is a much more traditional trance track but I really do like the little elements that help make this unique. That synth flute lead has a very retro sound to it but it's well-utilized melodically. It's definitely a standout element in this track and probably the main reason I come back to it every so often. Pretty cool :-)

• 1 month later...

This song helps me get through the drive to work in the mornings during frogger-style traffic. Definitely a highlight of the album. This song goes through some really cool instrument switchups and always has that feeling of moving towards a battle both varied and menacing. The production is pretty damn good, too, though I feel that some sections tend to get a little stagnant without a solid melody (i really wish that flute made more of an appearance, like emu mentioned).

The synthy pan flutes are a really nice lead sound combined with really pumping drums and a heavily modulated bassline, but what really sets the track into 'amazing' territory is the prominent hand percussion.

My only complaint is that I feel the lead synth could use more modulation, and vibrato, as it feels pretty static, and maybe a touch more prominent delay. Nice builds and breaks, and a lot of good aspects to this track overall.

Soooooooooooo thought I had posted my thoughts on this song when this came out... as it was at the time, I had not been looking that forward to the Mega Man 9 album. Now that I've listened to it in its entirety, this is definitely one of the stand-out tracks, one that always makes me get up and dance. k-wix really took this to the next level, and it... its really inspiring. Fantastic song, amazing album, and... well, yeah. Go grab some origami robots and dance!

This is long overdue, but welcome back to the site k-wix! I knew you had wanted to make it on the site at some point, but hearing your works on Back In Blue marked where you upped your game IMO.

So the arrangement might end up splitting some people; a lot of it is based on the chord structure for the source material, but it is fleshed out considerably by some very strong synth soloing, some unorthodox dual panflute work and some very tasteful hand percussion additions to accompany the beat. The few elements with the source melody (2:00) managed to give it some strong sense of identity, and even since then these additions marked around k-wix's signature style managed to really give the track a huge chunk of life. Nice writing work!

I however do seem to be in the same frame of mind as OA in that the leads could've had that little bit more work done in regards to prevent the sound from going stale; it's noted particularly with the unmodulated and unfiltered synth as well as the sharpness of the panflute. I understand you went out of your way to invest on some new samples over the years, though it may help to get to work with filters and see what you can do with them to really give them some edge.

All in all, welcome back to the site! And with this kind of writing work we hope you'll be able to keep at it as a musician, whether it between any more future submissions, Cave Story 3D or any other projects down the line. Nice going :)

Whoa, whoa, whoa......electronica pan flute!? That is so awesome! The intro is a great attention getter. The percussion sounded top-notch, with a sweet rhythm and the whole arrangement was terrific in my view. Without a doubt one of the stars in the album and while I would have liked the ending to have taken a little more time to fade out, I have no real complaints here. Nice job.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02289 - Mega Man 9 "Origami Robots"