Chrono Trigger Revisited

SapSpecial

-there is some clipping in the track that is really distracting. It could be some intentional filtering or what have you but to me it makes it so that the drums are too over powering when they are going, and that the rest of the track feels too quiet.

- the lush string harmonies are nice, but they get repetitive after a bit. maybe consider throwing in another texture for the lead melody at points?

-There are certain ill-timed breaks in the drums that make it sound as though the piece is losing tempo.

Some of the string sounds are quite nice especially with some of the tremolo, and the slightly jazzier harmonies are a nice addition.

I hear a couple of things that this track wants to be - string orchestra, chill groove, gated strings. Two of those things don't seem to work, though - the drums are not prominent enough to really belong in the track (nor do the strings really accomidate for them, anyway), and the gating doesn't have much reason to be there other than to just... be there.

The string writing that's here, though, is great. You know, I think you should post a clean, no effects, no drum edit of the track. Let's see what you really have here - I can't say for sure, but with a few tweaks you might have something excellent, here. The string writing is superb, so showcase it a little bit.

Some effects could help, yes, but the effects you applied to the track made them sound even more mechanical and non-realistic, not less.

For the string writing (thanks for the non-edited cut, btw), it's pretty sweet, save for the melodic portions getting drown in the mix. The important lines should stand out better than the rest of the track. Otherwise, a touch of reverb should be more than enough to hide the few mechanical imperfections in the track - the sampling & humanizing is actually pretty darn good.

I don't have too much more to say, it's pretty awesome, in my book.

It's a cool song dude but it desperately needs FX and percussion to round it out. The whole song sound like it is on auto-drive. Adding those elements will give it a better ebb n flow. Even just soft down-tempo percussion would help tremendously. For example:

Also that soundcloud version is way better. Much clearer and vibrant. Maybe add some automation to get a bit more dynamics in the mix.

• 1 month later...