PSP, GBA, DS game recommendations for long trip

zircon

As others have said, TWEWY is incredible and you should definitely play it.

Inflight, there is no better series than Professor Layton, especially if you're looking for something that can entertain both you and Jill simultaneously. It remains the only series that Addie has played closer to completion that I have. Phoenix Wright is also good, but not as immediately engaging to someone who doesn't like the over-the-top anime style.

Final Fantasy V Advance is one of the best ports ever -- the dialogue is improved, and the bonuses feel worthwhile and well-integrated (unlike FFVI GBA). Skip FFIII DS if you want to go this route -- the translated Famicom version takes less time to animate things and just feels better overall.

Lastly, if you missed Castlevania: Order of Ecclessia, it is easily the best of the DS entries, and the only one since Rondo that feels difficult in places.

How are the new Zeldas?

I never did play Phantom Hourglass (I hear it's good but suffers from some really annoying problems), but Spirit Tracks was awesome and had a fantastic OST (I also hear that it's so awesome because most of PH's problems got fixed).

I fifth Radiant Historia. It's a really interesting manner of gameplay, both plot and battle-wise.

Bowser's Inside Story is amazing, not least of which for the part where you play as a Godzilla-sized bowser fighting your own castle.

I never did play Phantom Hourglass (I hear it's good but suffers from some really annoying problems), but Spirit Tracks was awesome and had a fantastic OST (I also hear that it's so awesome because most of PH's problems got fixed).

Aside from one puzzle where it forces you to close the screen (which seemed entirely unexpected to me), the only issue I can recall Phantom Hourglass suffering from was forcing you through the same dungeon several times, which I didn't think was such a big deal. I'd recommend both DS Zelda games.

Fire Emblem, GBA or DS entries, is also a good recommendation.

Bowser's Inside Story was really great - if you liked Mario and Luigi/other Mario RPGs it's right up your alley.

I would highly recommend the Mega Man Battle Network series, while it's a bit of a dark horse in the MM franchise, they're my personal favorites. MMBN3 is classic and has the best storyline, I also like 5&6. Some people like 2, but i wouldn't bother with 4 or 1, they aren't very good. If you like a action-based RPG with a kinda different battle system and a cyberspace setting, it is really fun.

HOWEVER avoid Star Force. It's not nearly as good. BN is muchmuch better.

I'm currently entangled in Final Fantasy I & II Dawn of Souls, and I LOVE IT. If you haven't played these games, I would recommend them.

I also have Circle of the Moon, I'm stuck on the Necromancer, and too lazy to grind against mummies.

Seconding the MMBN games. Story may be a weakpoint, but boy are they fun. The combat system is basically all about fast-paced action and thinking on your feet, along with classic Megaman know-your-enemy tactics. The random encounters might be a bit of a turn-off thanks to their frequency, but that's the worst I can think of.

Each new installment also changes up how various aspects are managed. MMBN 3 and 6, iirc, both have 'mod systems' that boost stats or give special perks by fitting shapes onto a grid. You can spend hours trying to arrange the grid to get the perks you need; surprisingly addictive, in its own way. MMBN 5 is also notable in that it plays out various missions as a sort of metagame, in which you control a set of units to take out the opponent within a minimal number of turns. It adds another fascinating layer that I thought worked out pretty well.

Anyway, enough ranting from me. Lots of good memories from that series.

I would highly recommend the Mega Man Battle Network series, while it's a bit of a dark horse in the MM franchise, they're my personal favorites. MMBN3 is classic and has the best storyline, I also like 5&6. Some people like 2, but i wouldn't bother with 4 or 1, they aren't very good. If you like a action-based RPG with a kinda different battle system and a cyberspace setting, it is really fun.

HOWEVER avoid Star Force. It's not nearly as good. BN is muchmuch better.

I enjoyed Star Force... but I'd only recommend 3, myself.

As for Battle Network, I don't get the hate for 4. I mean, it's short, but the music was great.

I enjoyed Star Force... but I'd only recommend 3, myself.

As for Battle Network, I don't get the hate for 4. I mean, it's short, but the music was great.

I'm a BN purist, and see SF as a blight on BN. :P just me opineion

As far as 4 goes... it had a nice idea, but I found the exact opposite than you :P it's FAR too long, since you have to play the bloody thing 3 times to "finish" it. I also thought the music was lackluster compared to others. Besides the sad song and vs. Duo, there really isn't anything that stands out.

I loved the tournament idea, but it's too repetitive and dull. And then you get ones like Protoman's mission... :/

I stopped on the hard version of Protoman's mission cuz its so hard. I just don't want to do it again. :/

HOWEVER its better than 1. ugh.

I don't remember exaclty what, but MMBN4 just really felt unpolished. The samples they used in that soundtrack just didn't seem to fit; too gritty, I suppose, and not quite in tune all the time. I don't remember the details of that one, but I just remember it being not quite as solid. I think it might have also had to do with the Net zone designs.

I don't remember exaclty what, but MMBN4 just really felt unpolished. The samples they used in that soundtrack just didn't seem to fit; too gritty, I suppose, and not quite in tune all the time. I don't remember the details of that one, but I just remember it being not quite as solid. I think it might have also had to do with the Net zone designs.

The internet was very confusing and there was way too much backtracking. I was mostly annoyed by the repetition. The game was mostly "go to battle field, encounter opponent, do something with/against/for opponent, fight to the death, rinse, repeat".

And neblix: uratroll XD

Oh yeah, that's right. It did have a bad set up.

But I still like the music.

As for 1... that had the worst Net layout of them all.

In regards to Star Force, I only pointed out 3 because it has a good story with some good scenes, not like the I HAVE NO FRIENDS AND I'M EMO-ness of the first two.

I've never actually played MMSF, so I can't really say, it just didn't appeal to me like MMBN did.

But, I was introduced to "gaming" by BN5, so it has a very very special place in my heart. :3

I don't like you people; but unlike neblix, it's because I adored MMBN1

I beat that damned game three times and have yet to finish any other entries from the series (although I've gotten really close with 2)

Opinions: they're a wonderful thing.

They're also annoying >.<

I, personally, thought that 1 is clunky and difficult to play comparatively. But, I came in on 5, where the gameplay was fairly ironed out, so whatevs.

As far as good traveling games (easy to play for long periods of time, with good depth, yet not too bulky of games) go, I'd have to highly reccommend the following:

~ Mega Man Battle Network series. These are great games, great music, fun gameplay, lot of game time in em, and a lot to stuff to do in em even after the game is beat. 2 is personally my favorite, but from what I've seen most people like 3 and 5 the best.

~ Mega Man Zero series. Really fun sidescrollers, not overly long, but still have a good amount of game time and development in them. As always, fantastic music. Best to start from the beginning with #1, they're all really good.

~ Fire Emblem series. Awesome RPG/Strategy games. Similar to Final Fantasy Tactics (which is another good choice BTW), but with a lot more depth and character development options. These games have MASSIVE character development with around a hundred characters and multiple ways to upgrade them all. Lots of replay value. The Sacred Stones would have to be the best one IMO, best storyline, character development, length, and difficulty balance.

~ Wario Ware series. Wario Ware is a great mini-game game such as Mario Party, but meant for single player. I warn you, this game is HIGHLY addictive, and has a massive amount of gameplay in it. The first one for GBA is definitely the best.

~ Pokemon series. If I have to explain these games to you, you live under a rock. They are amazing, and you should know that by now.