Chrono Trigger - Secret of the Forest (18 Mix)

michinoku

http://soundcloud.com/gzarapanecko/gzarasotf

This mix is called the "18" mix in reference to Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians," and its relatively consistent clarinet and bass clarinet pulsed harmonies in amongst an evolving backdrop of percussive harmonies(piano, marimba, xylophone) Some of the best cues from this game are the simplest, and working on the A and B section was a lot of fun. And returning to the A section at the end was a fun chance to try some gamelan-like poly-rhythmic improvisation utilizing treated harpsichord and celeste sounds.

The second-to-last bit, trying to do some woodwind quintet stuff, despite all my best efforts, seems like a problem with the orchestral samples in Logic Studio, which do not respond well to minute velocity edits. Not sure if anything really can be done about this at this point, short of purchasing a new sample library which wouldn't be really feasible. I was committed to having a syncopated woodwind sound there and couldn't figure out anything with enough of the same character to replace it with that might tighten up that sound. So for now, I've called it done/quits.

Cool instrumentation. Was a bit muddy at times. Try to pan some stuff left and right to clear out the soundscape a bit. The sustained winds are too loud. Somewhat conservative; try adding a little more of your own flavor. You do have subtle changes in chords and such, but add a part or two that is different from the source.

Nice work so far, and good luck with it.

I'm not sure if I have the patience to work on this one again for a bit (also have several other things on my plate at the moment composition-wise that are taking up more of my attention). But I will definitely take the mix suggestion into advisement when I do. Still learning a bit about mixing and any such suggestions are helpful especially since I use a practice amp as a monitor at current.

Did want to mention, too, that for better or for worse, that is a live clarinet and bass clarinet in the background. Ended up swamping them in filters after all was said and done but underneath all that is some actual reed playing.