Rave in the Clock Tower

manamaniac

Hey OCR, it's been a long time since I've posted. Anyway, here's a WIP that I want you guys to take a listen to and see what you think about it. I've learned a lot over the past few years and today I was sitting down playing with some oscillators in FL Studio and after a few hours of work, this is what I've come up with. Hope you all enjoy, and feedback is appriciated.

http://soundcloud.com/manamaniac/raveattheclocktower

Big fan of the source (

), and it suits an upbeat, chippy arrangement.

Unfortunately, your production has a way to go before this is OCR standard. This mix feels like everything's in the mids, and it doesn't really have much stereo or frequency dynamics to it. Everything's just in the middle! I appreciate that you've made the synths from scratch, and they sound OK, but they're overlapping in frequency, and the drums don't really have much of a presence either.

Try and separate things using both EQ and panning, and make those synths more unique and interesting. The long chords particularly become quite grating after a while. You've got some really nice syncopation and effects in there, but they're masked too much as it is. Give each track room to breathe, and then you'll be able to expand on the sounds you have that make up the song as a whole.

thanks for the tips, i'll play around with getting things in a more even spread across the sound spectrum (also i'll see if i can make those chords a little more interesting). Thanks again

EDIT:

Revised version here. I played around a lot with the panning, as well as the equalizers on a lot of things. Also I changed some of the tones of the base and the background synth so it wasn't alllllll the same chippy sound.

http://soundcloud.com/manamaniac/raveattheclocktower-revised