Guide to MIDI Orchestration

Several people have recommended this book to me, now I'm wondering if anyone here has any personal experience with it. The orchestral people I've asked so far have not used it, yet I was still recommended it here.

So I'm just wondering if this book is as wonderful as everyone says it is or if anyone can offer any reasonable insight of why one should or should not get it.

This topic comes with the understanding that if I could learn orchestration through local classes or listening to hours of real orchestra, I wouldn't be interested in buying a book on it.

Additionally, are there as qualified books that teach other genres, electronica, dance, ethnic, etc?

Thank you!

I've read the book, and while I still haven't done much to make use of it, the majority of the book is filled with ideas to make virtual orchestration sound as realistic as possible, including chapters on how to mix the orchestra, how to set up a template, and so on. I'd recommend it; it's a nice alternative to starting from scratch with no knowledge and figuring everything out yourself. Don't expect it to be a guide to composing and arranging for an orchestra though; there are better sources for that kind of thing.

Nah, I have EWQL and I have the composition stuff down pretty much - what I don't have is the production and knowledge to make the two really do something yet.

I'm especially interested in learning to make "action cue" music with huge orchestral hits with seemingly all the horns and strings in the orchestra and tub bell and splash cymbal and choir hit all the same notes without it somehow feeling too much.

Right now I can do ok with 5-6 orchestral instruments, but I'm trying to join up to the big boys here.

I have not read this book in particular, but I would suggest working through some pre-existing scores piece by piece until you have a practical, working knowledge of how those scores are built. Orchestration is such an incredibly rich topic to be contained in a single tome. As far as the MIDI part is concerned, I'll mimic what Kanthos is saying. If you want more "realism" then you need to nail the timbre and articulations.

Also, everything won't just be playing a simple sustain patch the whole way through. It's pretty crucial to learn how every single instrument in the orchestra is played by itself and with others, both from its own family and not. A simple but efficient rule of thumb to go by is the more instruments you use, their parts should be less disparate from one another. Too much contrasting timbres and notes will create a huge mush. The way those pros can use an entire orchestra with ease is because they know how to balance these delicate forces.

I have not read this book in particular, but I would suggest working through some pre-existing scores piece by piece until you have a practical, working knowledge of how those scores are built.

This topic comes with the understanding that if I could learn orchestration through local classes or listening to hours of real orchestra, I wouldn't be interested in buying a book on it.

While I didn't specifically mention scores in that, it's part of the same deal there. This isn't a topic on orchestration, this is a topic on this particular book. The question at hand is, "Have you read this particular book, and if so, would you recommend it?"

I'm not being picky, I'm asking a question with a narrow focus and I get annoyed when people don't listen to that and offer suggestions to things I've already done and I know I don't need. I'm not currently interested in scores, I'm interested in this particular book.

Now, if you want to recommend those other books, by all means go for it. That is relevant to what I'm asking.

Not trying to be a dick here, but I don't know how much more clear I can make my intentions.

I'm not a Professor, to earn that distinction one must accomplish a great deal more than I have academically.

To be clear, I am a part-time instructor at Pinnacle College in LA in their Video Game Sound Design Program which offers both a certificate and an associates degree in game audio (the first of it's kind in the US).

It's a cool program and I spend way too much of my free time trying to make it even cooler.

Adler's book on orchestration is a book on traditional orchestration. There's no mention of MIDI orchestration.

Then that is not useful to me right now. A good portion of what I'm held back by is the technology itself, so I need to learn it either in the context I will be facilitating it in or at least something resembling it.

That's why I'm so stubbornly fixated on the MIDI part of learning it and why studying orchestration and scores by themselves are not useful to me.

When the goal of MIDI orchestration is to make the instruments sound as close to the real things as possible, understanding the real thing is far more important than learning the techniques on how to replicate it.

Yeah but I still need to learn how to make my primary means of doing that, MIDI, the root priority, then go that direction. Thats what I'm missing right now.