FFX HD Remaster for PS3 and Vita

Brandon Strader

As for the amount of time this has been in development, we don't know. They released FF7 in 1997, FF8 in 1998 and I'm not sure but I think FF9 came out in 1999...

I'm sorry, but this is soooo wrong. I mean, yeah, FF7 was 1997, but 8 came out in 1999 and 9 came out in 2000. And, of course, 10 came out 10 years ago in 2001.

I just had to correct that.

also, lol ocre

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some details/rumors that may end up being totally false, but they sound awesome if true:

Accordingly to this rumors, Final Fantasy X HD remake will be created using Final Fantasy XIII game engine, which also will be adapted to PS Vita. Another unconfirmed details regarding FFX remake development includes following items:

Re-created for new engine characters, aeons and some stage elements.

Cut scenes and FMV will be enhanced with some "filter" of FFXIII engine — probably, it's some kind of AA-filtering and smoothing.

Magic, special effects and lightning will be re-created using new engine called "Luminous".

Blitzball game will take little changes.

FFX HD may have additional network features ( in the light of previous item — I can predict that game will receive multiplayer for Blitzball game in some form, and maybe something else ).

Release Date — in 2012 fiscal year ( i.e. before 31 March, 2013 ). At the moment it's impossible to concretize release date, but I personally can expect FFX HD to be released in Japan somewhere in Summer / Autumn of 2012. Actual release date highly depends on scale of planned new features ( how many resources required to implement all of them ) and how long FFX HD is in development stage for now. But, if take into account that there is no any pictures of game or official details — highly possible that FFX HD development started not very long ago.

I'm all for graphical updates but srsly... 6, 7, 8 and 9 need one more.

It's like they're intentionally fucking with us this point. The fans clearly want a 7 remake, and they've done like half a dozen ignoring the biggest request.

(NB I'm not that interested in a 7 remake, it's just beyond belief they can't realize the fan demand.)

• 1 month later...

Has there seriously not been an update on this in 2 months? It may be because I am severely impatient but this makes it sound like the project was abandoned! Especially with 2011 being over, like, pretty soon. A 10th anniversary release makes no sense on the 11th anniversary.

And if they DO miss the deadline I hope they promote it as "THE 11TH ANNIVERSARY"

I'm starting to view these HD remakes as a sign that developers are in dire need of cash. Understandably so, given how piracy and used-game sales have cut into profits.

That said, I enjoyed FFX a lot (got the international version and everything), so I hope they add a lot of features. Upgraded textures alone isn't enough, and who really gives a shit about trophy support? I won't pay again for content I already own.

The only changes I'd be interested in seeing to the game (other than improved graphics which may not happen anyway since it could just end up an upscaled port) would be the addition of trophies for some of the awesome stuff ingame - particularly Penance and the Dark Aeons. Other than that, I'd hope they keep it pretty much the same as the original.

In fairness, given that it wasn't so long ago that Squenix's profits experienced a rapid drop, I wouldn't be surprised if this (and Theatrythm and several other recent projects) have been designed mostly to try and make relatively easy cash.

Squeenix rummaging through the old Squaresoft library is good if they don't screw it up. I have very high hopes for this remake, they said it'd be in FF13's engine and that engine was purty cool I guess. I was just surprised they done said nuttin' bout it for 2 months. >:|

Really, 13's engine? Where did they say that?

It's like they're intentionally fucking with us this point. The fans clearly want a 7 remake, and they've done like half a dozen ignoring the biggest request.

(NB I'm not that interested in a 7 remake, it's just beyond belief they can't realize the fan demand.)

because if they remake those games they will all feel incredibly dated by modern standards and the new generation will be like 'oh these games suck this is what everyone said was so good?'

i enjoy them but what modern child would sit through those?

Edited by The Derrit

It was part of the batch of rumors going around about the remake. Don't even know if they're true but it seems like they should be. >:)

http://ocremix.org/forums/showpost.php?p=813058&postcount=53

Yeah SE is probably not going to move assets of a game over to an entirely new engine. More likely they are just doing a high-quality port, much like HD Remasters that have been coming out lately (SotC, MGS, etc.).

Yeah SE is probably not going to move assets of a game over to an entirely new engine. More likely they are just doing a high-quality port, much like HD Remasters that have been coming out lately (SotC, MGS, etc.).

That could very well be the case, and if the rumors are false I apologize, but LET ME HAVE HOPE SHARIQ :-x

because if they remake those games they will all feel incredibly dated by modern standards and the new generation will be like 'oh these games suck this is what everyone said was so good?'

I disagree. I hold faith that there will be people just as in love with them in the new generation of gamers. I grew up in amazement with games not for the graphics usually, but the story and/or gameplay involved. The ATB system isn't that bad at all (I feel it better than XIII's, and X's is pretty much turn based). Then again, being born in '92 I played NES/SNES growing up until the N64 came out.

Keep in mind I didn't say all people, though.

'oh these games suck this is what everyone said was so good?'

That's how I felt with FFXIII. :(

The bottom line is make people what they want, and they will pay for it. I know I will.

By the way, don't really care for FFX. It's sort of a whatever feeling. :roll:

Has there seriously not been an update on this in 2 months? It may be because I am severely impatient but this makes it sound like the project was abandoned! Especially with 2011 being over, like, pretty soon. A 10th anniversary release makes no sense on the 11th anniversary.

And if they DO miss the deadline I hope they promote it as "THE 11TH ANNIVERSARY"

I'm sure they'll release news next month at Jump Festa. And they may release info beforehand in Famitsu as they are with KH3D.

They are going to release KH3 info or they have already? Linkage :-o!

If only :[

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance

Not quite KH3. As far as we're aware, KH3 still hasn't even entered development.

To be fair, they rerelease I & II every few years in some form and they also remade III and IV. Even if there were people who would consider those "dated", it didn't stop them from doing it so I don't see why it would stop them from approaching V-IX.

I'd really like to see V and VI and IX updated. Not entirely sure how I'd feel about a VII remake - while I'd love one, I'm not sure Squenix would be able to resist trying to tie it in more thoroughly with the rest of the complilation and risk screwing it up. Of course, they'd need to tie it in to an extent, but it would be pretty easy to accidentally start convoluting everything.

The main reason they're not gonna remake VII is it would take way way too much work to be worth it. They would have to completely re-develop the game from the ground up. 3D environments, voice acting, probably a whole new engine. With X they can just throw on some high-res textures and call it a day.

But, it is also true that gaming is different now than it was back then and kids these days probably wouldn't dig old jrpgs so much.