FFX HD Remaster for PS3 and Vita

Brandon Strader

The only thing to really bitch about the DS remakes were the horrible, HORRIBLE, pre-N64 graphics. I could barely even see them they were so bad.

Rest of the games were just fine though. I about gave up on FFIVDS because of the difficulty, but there was one slight little change in the ending, just one TINY little change of a few seconds that, to me, made it all worth it. I can't say the same thing about anything else ever, so that was special. :)

Offoptic, yeah, but I don't really care about PS3 or Vita, so thats what I'm offering.

because if they remake those games they will all feel incredibly dated by modern standards and the new generation will be like 'oh these games suck this is what everyone said was so good?'

i enjoy them but what modern child would sit through those?

Aside from graphics, translation and audio quality, FF7 still stands the test of time. The game is extremely long with tons of side quests, secrets, character customization, etc. Combat is still fast-paced and fun, between limit breaks, lots of magic/summons and command combinations. A next-gen remake/retranslation of the game would easily stand on its own.

If only :[

To be fair, they rerelease I & II every few years in some form and they also remade III and IV. Even if there were people who would consider those "dated", it didn't stop them from doing it so I don't see why it would stop them from approaching V-IX.

my point is more specifically geared towards 7, while it was a good game it has its archaic elements (read: random battles that end up being attack-fests, no heavy character specialization in that everyone can do everything, an overworld that takes time to travel through) and right now the younger generation believes it was an awesome game purely on hearsay. square can make more profit by keeping it that way and continuing to further the 7 brand than they can by making a straight remake of the game and having that huge part of the fanbase fall off, not to mention if they change things or have poor voice acting what the orginal hardcore fans might riot about

simply put if they make it they're going to disappoint a large proportion of someone

on the other hand i'm also one of those people who believes that if they had released 10, 12 or 13 in 1997 with the same graphics and text-over that the ps1 games had people would have loved that the same way they do the ps1 classics. for whatever reason gamers seem to love cheesy and unreliable dialogue when it's in text, but then dismiss the exact same line if it's spoken. this is obvious throughout gaming: 'master of unlocking,' 'all your base,' just about EVERY older square game in some form or another. if it's in text, people EAT THAT SHIT UP. imagine a 32-bit Snow that talks about being a hero all the time. everyone would have LOVED it. in the same vein, imagine if Barret was a character in a new FF game, with the same over-the-top dialogue and getting upset-all-the-time-ness in beautiful CG and full voiceover. i can already tell you the mass response would be 'oh wow what a racist Japanese stereotype of a black guy, how boring and obnoxious.'

i just don't see why square would go to the trouble of destroying the huge nostalgia trip that is ff7 by putting it up for criticism by mordern standards

Edited by The Derrit

I agree with Zircon. I could also play through FFX as it is now on the PS2, it is really an incredible game... I'm super excited for the PS3 version and I think or hope it can stand on its own too, and maybe people will realize how great it is when they play it in HD and really give it a chance. :-o And yes I hope they keep the voice acting. The voice acting was superb in the game. A lot of people cite the "forced laughing" scene as an example of bad voice acting. Well it was a forced laughing scene, it was supposed to be awkward. That's the whole point of forced laughing. I remember playing the game back in 2001, and that was a very powerful scene.. all the subtleties in the voice acting and performance made that game the last great final fantasy in my mind. There was only 1 line of voice in the game I wasn't too fond of because it wasn't recorded properly.

Edited by Brandon Strader

I agree with Zircon. I could also play through FFX as it is now on the PS2, it is really an incredible game... I'm super excited for the PS3 version and I think or hope it can stand on its own too, and maybe people will realize how great it is when they play it in HD and really give it a chance. :-o And yes I hope they keep the voice acting. The voice acting was superb in the game. A lot of people cite the "forced laughing" scene as an example of bad voice acting. Well it was a forced laughing scene, it was supposed to be awkward. That's the whole point of forced laughing. I remember playing the game back in 2001, and that was a very powerful scene.. all the subtleties in the voice acting and performance made that game the last great final fantasy in my mind. There was only 1 line of voice in the game I wasn't too fond of because it wasn't recorded properly.

This has to be a joke.

You liked Yuna's voice actress?

I still am sad that this is a remake instead of a game focusing on Braska's journey. Now THAT woulda been awesome.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Will change the title if it'll make you happy, sweetie. ;-)

I don't think anyone was expecting a full-on remake. Importing the assets into the FF13 engine and using the same voiceover and such could be called a remaster rather than a remake. And that's all I really wanted anyways! I wish they'd be more straightforward about where this is and when it'll be out.

According to a translated interview Linked here., this has been confirmed by Square Enix to be an HD rerelease (read: port) and not a ground-up remake. You can change the topic title now.

Exactly what I was hoping for. The game is great the way it is, I couldn't see how they could remake it without completely changing it. It's already pretty realistic.

Same with Spiderman movies. I don't think a remake is possible.

Just a friendly reminder about metal gear hd on the ps3. Took them a year to 'remaster' it for hd and it's essentially completely uinchanged just with a different internal resolution.

Even then MGS:HD is only 720p and pcsx2 emulator kicks its ass with the original game.

Same will apply for ffx and ffxii if they do that. Nothing will be changed, just the internal resolution. Emulators still kick whatever will be released's ass.

This is what ffx looks like in an emulator, lets see the half assed, cash-in port beat this.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l224/aznguymetal/FallofZanarkand1.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l224/aznguymetal/FallofZanarkand19.jpg

Oh yeah, xenoblade chronicles for th wii kicks ass in dolphin emulator. Just saying.

Consoles < pc forever.

http://www.thejayzone.com/pics/xenoblade/leg_day.png

Edited by DarkeSword

I don't think anyone was expecting a full-on remake.

Says the person who insisted that is what they were doing!

Importing the assets into the FF13 engine and using the same voiceover and such could be called a remaster rather than a remake. And that's all I really wanted anyways!

I dont think they are doing this either. Again, its more than likely just porting the PS2 game over, using Sony's provided tool chain to port PS2 games to PS3/Vita. Like everybody else is doing. Don't get your hopes up in expecting much more than that.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Just a friendly reminder about metal gear hd on the ps3. Took them a year to 'remaster' it for hd and it's essentially completely uinchanged just with a different internal resolution.

Even then MGS:HD is only 720p and pcsx2 emulator kicks its ass with the original game.

Same will apply for ffx and ffxii if they do that. Nothing will be changed, just the internal resolution. Emulators still kick whatever will be released's ass.

This is what ffx looks like in an emulator, lets see the half assed, cash-in port beat this.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l224/aznguymetal/FallofZanarkand1.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l224/aznguymetal/FallofZanarkand19.jpg

Oh yeah, xenoblade chronicles for th wii kicks ass in dolphin emulator. Just saying.

Consoles < pc forever.

http://www.thejayzone.com/pics/xenoblade/leg_day.png

Well in the case of the FFX remake, I imagine on the Vita it'll look pretty high quality just because of the smaller screen real estate. PS1 games look great on a PSP for example.

Says the person who insisted that is what they were doing!

I dont think they are doing this either. Again, its more than likely just porting the PS2 game over, using Sony's provided tool chain to port PS2 games to PS3/Vita. Like everybody else is doing. Don't get your hopes up in expecting much more than that.

The translated interview said to expect much better graphics than the original, and that's what I'm going to do.

I think if any game in the series really deserved a ground up remake, anyhow, it wouldn't be FFX, which is all ready a complete and competent game (though it's not as if rpg mechanics have improved at all since then!).

Far better if it were FFIX, which very much shows signs of story elements being cut out due to time restraints.