FFX HD Remaster for PS3 and Vita

Brandon Strader

I'm hoping for a fixed lip synch with some lines re-dubbed. Hoping, but not optimistic. If there's a japanese audio option for this I'd be happy. I really love FFX and will most likely pick this up, but man I really hate Yuna's english voice actress.

Also looking forward to that inevitable FFXII International HD, because it would be so easy for them to do. I have it on PS2 emulation, but damned if I can read japanese.

I don't think FFX's dub issues result from a lack of talent, I think it was just an awkward transitionary time. It was one of the earliest games with full facial movement and voice acting. The game is lousy with close up shots of character's faces as they talk. The directors were clearly trying to showcase/figure out the technology. I've heard Yuna's voice actress elsewhere and she does fine. She was Rosie in Valkyrie Chronicles, although you wouldn't know it because her voice sounds totally different. In FFX though she's just clearly trying to match the lip flaps. Also, Rikku is Tara fucking Strong.

Man now I'm all sad. FF7 and FFX are both awkward games in retrospect because of how cutting edge they were during their time. How the mighty have fallen.

I don't think FFX's dub issues result from a lack of talent, I think it was just an awkward transitionary time. It was one of the earliest games with full facial movement and voice acting. The game is lousy with close up shots of character's faces as they talk. The directors were clearly trying to showcase/figure out the technology. I've heard Yuna's voice actress elsewhere and she does fine. She was Rosie in Valkyrie Chronicles, although you wouldn't know it because her voice sounds totally different. In FFX though she's just clearly trying to match the lip flaps. Also, Rikku is Tara fucking Strong.

Man now I'm all sad. FF7 and FFX are both awkward games in retrospect because of how cutting edge they were during their time. How the mighty have fallen.

And Hedy Buress was also Agrias in FFT: WotL, who had a pretty crap fakey british accent. I don't think she's that great of an actress, even as Rosie.

They did have Tara Strong, who was typecast as a cute little bubbly girl, although that wasn't her fault. They also had John DiMaggio, who was typecast as a big dumb guy. I'm not sure if it's a reflection on the japanese actors (who also seem to be typecast in anime/games all the damn time), or directors not trusting actors to get outside the little niche they're pictured in.

A lot of my annoyance with the characters of FFX is with the bad localization and over-the-top japanese motion actors. Every time Rikku did that weird scrabbly motion I ground my teeth a little, even though she was a good character as far as the story went. I also was not in favor of Tidus putting his hands up on his head all the time, probably because I figure Spira is not a place where people use deoderant or soap very often.

It'd be neat to see the game re-done with different motion actors, or even better: do what they did with FFXII and for some roles re-capture the motion with western actors for the western release.

So funnily enough I just started playing FFX again so my partner could experience it. The "HAAAA HAAAA HAAAA" scene is actually extremely well-put-together, as well as forcibly, intentionally, painfully awkward for everyone involved (except poor Tidus), and ultimately extremely depressing given the context of the game.

Amazing how your view of a game can change with 10 years.

I also was not in favor of Tidus putting his hands up on his head all the time, probably because I figure Spira is not a place where people use deoderant or soap very often.

wait

so

your saying that

in a world with cameras, public address systems, a world bank, organized, televized sports, magic, a giantass world-unifying religion, and BATHROOMS

you think it's unlikely that people wash themselves?

wait

so

your saying that

in a world with cameras, public address systems, a world bank, organized, televized sports, magic, a giantass world-unifying religion, and BATHROOMS

you think it's unlikely that people wash themselves?

In places like Bevelle where they have plumbing and electricity, they probably are hygenic. Bevelle and Luca probably have access to hot water. Places like Besaid where they live in tents, or places like Kilika where they live on stilts over the ocean...no. Not unless they have magic spells that make hot water and soap. Making soap from scratch is hard work and it's very harsh on skin and hair. It literally burns. A place that gets leveled by Sin every year isn't going to have indoor plumbing. People can still wash with hot water by heating it up, sure...but hot water alone isn't that great against B.O..

The main thing to remember is if body odor isn't "shown" or referenced in the game in some way, it does not exist. This is a fantasy world after all, things only exist if they are meant to. We can't just 'assume' that people get B.O. in Spira.

Why not? Aren't they human? Or are there no bacteria living on humans in Spira? I mean we can assume that people poop on Spira since they eat, even though nobody is talking about poop anywhere in the game. Why not assume that they sweat too since they play sports?

I dunno, I'm one of those people that when I see a fantasy world with fantasy people, I always assume they have the same issues and quirks that people in our world have. When I saw that there were toilets in FF7, I was like "Aha!" because somebody designing scene layouts over at Squaresoft took the time to indicate that humans do certain things no matter where they are. I also made jokes about how people had to walk all the way to Rocket Town to poop, because I was in high school and poop jokes were funny.

There are probably people on Spira with bad breath, or gas, or anything else smelly the human body does. They mention that chocobos stink, so why not people?