FFX HD Remaster for PS3 and Vita

Brandon Strader

If they can have magic, they can stink. I know they're fictional characters, but whenever I read a book, watch a show or play a game my brain tends to fill in little details that make the characters seem more like people and less like characters. Cecil and Kain had voices to me before FF4 DS came out. I knew what Ned Stark looked like before Sean Bean was cast. I tend to think about this kind of crap without really trying to, my brain just assumes all the mundane little things about people that we don't normally think of in a game, even though they have absolutely no application or use in the game. It's like my imagination doesn't switch off. If you can tune out little things like "maybe the characters are getting hungry on this long walk between towns" when playing a RPG, then good for you. I just automatically think things like that.

Back on topic, I'm thinking that maybe I could actually beat FFX-2 this time around. I got about 3/4 of the way through when I initially played the game, screwed up with one sidequest so I couldn't get that 100% completion and decided I didn't want to replay everything just to get that 100%. If it looks a bit prettier with a better resolution, I might give it another go. It still takes a back seat to FFX, though. Really really hoping for Dark Aeons here.

If they can have magic, they can stink. I know they're fictional characters, but whenever I read a book, watch a show or play a game my brain tends to fill in little details that make the characters seem more like people and less like characters. Cecil and Kain had voices to me before FF4 DS came out. I knew what Ned Stark looked like before Sean Bean was cast. I tend to think about this kind of crap without really trying to, my brain just assumes all the mundane little things about people that we don't normally think of in a game, even though they have absolutely no application or use in the game. It's like my imagination doesn't switch off. If you can tune out little things like "maybe the characters are getting hungry on this long walk between towns" when playing a RPG, then good for you. I just automatically think things like that.

Back on topic, I'm thinking that maybe I could actually beat FFX-2 this time around. I got about 3/4 of the way through when I initially played the game, screwed up with one sidequest so I couldn't get that 100% completion and decided I didn't want to replay everything just to get that 100%. If it looks a bit prettier with a better resolution, I might give it another go. It still takes a back seat to FFX, though. Really really hoping for Dark Aeons here.

Well regarding what you said about Kilika and Besaid, both places have access to plenty of water from the waterfalls or ocean (granted probably salt water) but also they do have access to magic as well Lulu having some degree of talent and Kilika having a freaking fire temple on it. Simply boil the water to remove germs and heat it and bam, bathtime.

Expert Sphere grid not giving you boosts is kind of a moot point though Mirby, in FFX even with standard Sphere grid if you wanted to hit the stat caps you had to delete and modify the sphere grid using Clear Spheres and Stat Spheres anyway so you would have to remake the Expert as well if you wanted ultimate power.

Still nice to know the Americans are getting some nice bonuses from it.

Yeah I'm really confused by this trailer. The stills looked very nice, but the trailer footage is only marginally different. People are saying that it IS the PS3 footage in the comments... I hope they're wrong.

The bit where FFX-2 comes in for 5 seconds with its god-awful music says a lot about how proud of that one they are. I'm ashamed that I will have to give them money for it again just to get access to the X remaster.

• 1 month later...

yrp.jpg

Screenshots of X-2HD

also it's been confirmed that these are the international versions, so all that bonus content we never got... we're getting them.

“Contains content not previously released in North America, including the optional superboss “Penance,” the “Eternal Calm” video that bridges the gap between the two titles, the “Last Mission” dungeon with 20+ hours of battle and story, and bonus dresspheres and garment grids”

Also included will be the “Eternal Calm” trailer that was released with the International version of Final Fantasy X to tease a sequel; this video takes place after the conclusion of the first game. Extra content like Garment Grids and Dresspheres such as the Psychicer and Festivalgoer will be included from the International release.

Source

though it was said that they're unsure of Last Mission's inclusion.

Ridiculous outfits aside, those are gorgeous screenshots. You can see Rikku's eye-swirlies pretty clearly in them. The Celsius looks pretty awesome too. This almost makes me want to give FFX-2 another try. I'll be buying the package whenever it comes out here just for FFX, so I might go through FFX-2 and actually complete the game this time around.

I got pretty far in X-2. If you can look past the girlishness of the entire thing it's actually a pretty decent game. FF13 series or trilogy or whatever you call it actually strikes me as being very similar to X-2. So a lot of people will probably dig that when it comes out. I'll try to beat it, I didn't finish it before.

Really excited for X, bummed out that it doesn't look like FF13's graphical quality, but it is a noticeable step up from the original X. I still think it's really lazy but it is what it is.

I got pretty far in X-2. If you can look past the girlishness of the entire thing it's actually a pretty decent game.

Explain yourself! "Three girls team up and look for a boy, using pop songs and various outfits as their weapons."

The battle system was -sort of- interesting, but that didn't help me fight the ubiquitous nausea that was a result of the plot/characters.

Explain yourself! "Three girls team up and look for a boy, using pop songs and various outfits as their weapons."

The battle system was -sort of- interesting, but that didn't help me fight the ubiquitous nausea that was a result of the plot/characters.

Let me rephrase that

If you think of all of the characters as polygon wireframes (bonus points if you hack it to be so) and replace the soundtrack with Cannibal Corpse on your mp3 player of choice, this is actually a pretty great game

*shamefully hides after admitting to enjoying a large portion of X-2 as a kid*

anyone who thinks that a sequel to FFX, considering the plot and the ending, wouldn't have an upbeat attitude doesn't understand how story works

Nobody even said anything like that, are you just stating your opinion though? That's cool. I wouldn't go as far as to say X-2 was upbeat, it still had Yuna suffering after the events of X. But I get your point I guess, maybe?

Also...you slogged through that garbage for however many hours and still, in the end (spoiler), found nothing. In order to ALMOST find something, you had to get the game to 100%, which hurt. Even then, though, what did you get? A three second glimpse of Tidus amid the ambiguity that she might not have actually found him? Pah!