FFX HD Remaster for PS3 and Vita

Brandon Strader

Here's a cool video that shows a small portion of the updated music for the game:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/426397/final-fantasy-x-hd-remake-video-shows-off-improved-music/

I'm not 100% sold on the new music yet. It doesn't seem to be as huge of an upgrade as the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 ReMix music seems to be, but we're also not hearing too much yet. It's mostly the horns at the beginning of the new version that strike me the wrong way, and I would have liked more warmth. :3

It's not bad though, and it's be great to see how they've treated some of the other songs. Especially Tidus's theme. I hope they've got some live performances for it.

Edited by Brandon Strader

It sounds okay, but I don't see why the music needed a big change. The original sampling was pretty good.

I agree, and I feel that the sampling needs to be a LOT better to improve on the original... I hope it does for the rest of them! But the battle music is probably the music you hear most often... :cry:

http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/pub/large/final_fantasy_x_le.jpg

This looks good, if this is what the final looks like! Was worth the pre-order!

Edited by Brandon Strader

I agree, and I feel that the sampling needs to be a LOT better to improve on the original... I hope it does for the rest of them! But the battle music is probably the music you hear most often... :cry:

It seems like they're trying to make the music fit in to modern JRPG trends, which is to make it have a ton of reverb, some rhythm guitar somewhere, and viola or cello samples that sound like they came from Vocaloid. I don't know, maybe it's just my own personal preference, but I don't get why they had to rehaul music that was great to begin with. All they're doing by trying to bring it up to date is well...making it dated.

http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/pub/large/final_fantasy_x_le.jpg

This looks good, if this is what the final looks like! Was worth the pre-order!

Oh, sweet. I like the concept art of Bevelle in that book there. We actually get to see what a city street looks like! Maybe I ought to drop some bucks to put in a preorder too.

I was talking about this with someone else, and we both sort of agreed that the new music is trying a bit too hard to sound realistic, which makes it sound fake. The original battle-music horns were obviously midi, but weren't trying to be real horns - they were just trying to fit the song.

But these days it's against the law in games to try and embrace being unrealistic!

I was talking about this with someone else, and we both sort of agreed that the new music is trying a bit too hard to sound realistic, which makes it sound fake. The original battle-music horns were obviously midi, but weren't trying to be real horns - they were just trying to fit the song.

Yeah, that's about how I felt about it too.

Ugh, I hate jerk faces. So I went back to the PAX booth to see if the rep I spoke to was correct. Not only did the second rep I speak try to explain to me that the devs said nothing and that they were all temps, but then he went to say there was no release date or release year or quarter for FFX HD. He also started to get confused when I explained which source told me even though the asshats worked next to each other for all 4 days.

So I don't know what to believe anymore but I know I wasn't the only one told it was early 2014 as other media sites got the same info. But I would put that release date up to rumor at this point. Man am I frustrated.

Well, at present there is still no official confirmation. So as it stands, it is just a rumor.

I'm not sure. On the one hand, I wouldn't at all be surprised that it would be delayed since we're just a few months away from the end of 2013 and still no release date.

but on the other....no official announcement. It seems odd to me that if they really were delaying it that they wouldn't have made a formal announcement right then and there instead of a couple of reps just saying shit to visitors. It also seems odd to me that Squeenix hasn't bothered to comment on such a rumor after this amount of time. It all seems highly unprofessional.

but you never know with this company....

Yeah, but no way they would do that. Time is short for this game. If it doesn't come out first quarter 2014 at the LATEST people are gonna be mad and I think (I hope) that Square Enix realizes this. You know, they could solve all these problems by not announcing anything until they are less than half a year away from release. They need to be more patient about announcing things instead of telling everyone "We have a good idea for a game. It'll be ready in about five years."

They need to be more patient about announcing things instead of telling everyone "We have a good idea for a game. It'll be ready in about five years."

They're just banking on the idea that it's Final Fantasy and the hype will last forever. Pity them, for their plight is tragic.

you can say this about literally every mmo out there.

I don't know if that's true. There was a stupid amount of lame, free-to-play MMOs over the last ten years or so and from what I've seen and heard "FF XIV: Sorry for fucking it up so bad before edition" seems to be the biggest deal in that genre since WoW. FF XIV is so damn popular that I read last week that Square Enix was halting digital sales because their servers could not handle the pressure. On top of that, the game has been getting lots of great reception anywhere I've looked.

Square Enix was halting digital sales because their servers could not handle the pressure.

Just to be clear, this is less about popularity / sales, and more an indication that Square-Enix did not have the proper server power to accommodate the most-likely modest amount of players who were trying to get on.

I highly doubt FF14 sold as much as Diablo 3, or Sim City, two other games that had rough launches.

Just to be clear, this is less about popularity / sales, and more an indication that Square-Enix did not have the proper server power to accommodate the most-likely modest amount of players who were trying to get on.

I highly doubt FF14 sold as much as Diablo 3, or Sim City, two other games that had rough launches.

I wasn't comparing games that had rough launches. I was comparing MMORPGs.

I'm not really sure how one could say FFXIV isn't the biggest mmorpg in years. The last "big" mmorpg I remember is Guild Wars 2 and it's concurrency peak is currently at 460,000 if wikipedia is to be believed. FFXIV: Do-over has been out for like...not even a week and is over 230,000. That's half of Guild Wars 2's peak in less than a week. Sure it could fall, but more likely, it will continue to rise.

It is, indeed, over 9000.