FFX HD Remaster for PS3 and Vita

Brandon Strader

I wrote up some analysis of the soundtrack for Polygon, but will wait to see how much of it they used before posting it all here.

Short version for now: I like almost all of it except for the battle theme, which feels over-orchestrated for the purpose of making it very obvious in comparison trailers that there is indeed a difference.

Edit: And as Brandon points out, this sucks, because you hear the battle theme more than any other track.

I wrote up some analysis of the soundtrack for Polygon, but will wait to see how much of it they used before posting it all here.

Short version for now: I like almost all of it except for the battle theme, which feels over-orchestrated for the purpose of making it very obvious in comparison trailers that there is indeed a difference.

Edit: And as Brandon points out, this sucks, because you hear the battle theme more than any other track.

We dabble in game journalism punditry.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/18/5498016/final-fantasy-10-hd-remastered-soundtrack

the battle theme should have been a lot better considering you listen to it -the most- out of any song.
And as Brandon points out, this sucks, because you hear the battle theme more than any other track.
Which is why I have ALWAYS been a proponent of not having a dedicated battle theme. I know that it seems like a battle should have energetic music but I promise that having battles with an area's individual music would be a welcome change no matter how seemingly unfit for battle the theme feels.

Which is why I have ALWAYS been a proponent of not having a dedicated battle theme. I know that it seems like a battle should have energetic music but I promise that having battles with an area's individual music would be a welcome change no matter how seemingly unfit for battle the theme feels.

Like the Shadow Hearts series did? I always thought it was neat that your battle and boss themes changed depending on where in the world you were. It'd be nice to see more RPGs do that, but the only other JRPG I can think of that almost did it was Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger ditched the second battle theme in the final cut anyway.

I got my FFX copy but still haven't been able to play it because I have a two-year-old. I'm hoping he gives me a chance tonight. I'm looking forward to the extra bosses, changed music or not.

Edit: Actually, has anybody gotten up to Blitzball yet? Can you still cheat the AI by hiding behind your own goalie?

Will this thing be reproduced for a while? I just got the Tales of Symphonia Chronicles new today only 'cause I heard they were only going to ship once as a sort of limited edition thing. That could be wrong, but is this kind of thing happening for the FFX remake at all? Want to make sure I get it while I can.

The limited preorder editions tend to last a little while after the game comes out, at least on Amazon... but it'd be impossible to say for how long. You can potentially still get the neat artbook limited edition.. or did you mean the collector's edition? That was an online exclusive from the squeen store. The level of effort isn't there for the collector's edition to justify the extra cash.

Edited by Brandon Strader

I meant the game in general. I'm not really a FF fan so collectors stuff won't bother me too much. But I do want to make sure I can get the game in good condition (and hopefully cheap) while possible.

I never got to finish FFX because of a bad disc on my PS2. I remember having to restart the game from scratch every time too 'cause we didn't have a memory card at the time, so the farthest I got was to a really big boss on this mountain (before the disc finally gave up, after that exact battle). It was an awesome experience and I wanna be able to finish it on the PS3 at some point : D

Edited by urdailywater

I'm waiting until tomorrow or Friday to pick this up, since I'll be buying it digitally and I have less than 2 GB left of download quota for the month. Tomorrow is either the last day in the current billing month or the first day in the new one, so I'll check my quota again after work. (mutters about the Elder Scrolls Online beta downloads)

Wait wait wait, you were playing a PS2 RPG without a memory card?

Not to be condescending but... what? 8O

basically this:

duh you just leave your ps2 on the whole time

and never ever EVER die

and i got pretty far too. eventually.

i played pretty much all my ps2 games like this until i got a memory card. you'd be surprised at how good you can get at a game when you can't die.

you get really freaking good. : D

I'm waiting until tomorrow or Friday to pick this up, since I'll be buying it digitally and I have less than 2 GB left of download quota for the month. Tomorrow is either the last day in the current billing month or the first day in the new one, so I'll check my quota again after work. (mutters about the Elder Scrolls Online beta downloads)

oh, what a waste of quota =(