My Debut Release - Conscience of a Dreamer - Plus, other stuff

Jason Covenant

I, Prophecy, have been fulfilled. I've been waiting 8 years to use that joke, so you know this is important. 8 Years!

The first announcement I have to make is that of a name change. From now on, I will be using the name Jason Covenant when releasing new music. I'm not requesting any tags on old tracks be changed or that my forum screen name be changed. It's just for new music.

Second, I've recently made my debut release, Conscience of a Dreamer suite that you can find at bandcamp:

http://jasoncovenant.bandcamp.com/album/conscience-of-a-dreamer-suite

It's only 5 tracks and about 15 minutes long, as I focused more on quality than quantity. That, and I didn't want to attempt something so ambitious I couldn't finish. It's 100% sequenced and in the style of film/new classical. It's actually my first attempt at the genre. A quick explanation of each track:

1. Conscience of a Dreamer (Overture)

This originally started as a joke tune for an OHC (One Hour Compo) but it came out a bit better than expected. In fact, I ended up with a lot more notation and ideas than I could even use, including vocals. I'll probably make an electronic version of this track complete with vocals and other notation in the future. As for the orchestral version, I thought it would make a good overture. For those that actually remember that OHC, you'll notice that pretty much all I did was take off the crappy intro and polish the rest up a little.

2. Evelyn Marianne Clypse II

This track is named after the protagonist in a book I'm writing. She's a very deep, mysterious character and this song is meant to be a reflection of her personality.

3. Dark Brew of the Wolf

My most serious effort on the suite. Sequencing a realistic sounding piano proved to be challenging, but I think I got it eventually. I studied a lot of videos on youtube to see how piano players perform and create emotion in pieces.

4. Quiet Soul

A little doodle I made. Incidentally, also part of a failed OHC attempt. I might make a dnb or otherwise electronic remix of it in the future. You're welcome to beat me to it.

5. Courage of the Meek

This track is dedicated to the memory of Jennifer Daugherty. She was a mentally handicapped person who was murdered in a senseless and brutal way. I've worked with the mentally handicapped and this is an issue dear to my heart.

Third, I am scoring a game I think many of you would like called Phantasmaburbia. A few songs from the suite will be in it.

You can see the most recent trailer here:

Fourth, I've recently discovered how the internet works. Social media links:

http://twitter.com/JasonCovenant

http://www.youtube.com/user/JasonCovenantDOTcom

http://www.facebook.com/jasoncovenant

Oh, and a half-finished website:

http://jasoncovenant.com/

I've been a part of this community for years and as far as I'm concerned you're all my friends, so don't be shy!

Fifth, sorta, here's some random free music:

http://jasoncovenant.com/meine-magische-bier

http://jasoncovenant.com/fun-with-choirs-organ-and-timpani-hard-dance-mix

I have a lot more releases planned, including new remixes and an electronica EP (hopefully I still remember how to make that stuff) in the works. Thanks for reading.

(Special thanks to Emunator for website artwork.)

Album get.

Ever since I heard Sweet Dream Lullaby, I've been a huge fan.

Thanks. I really appreciate that. I know I kinda disappeared from the community for reasons that are entirely my fault so it's good to know a few people still remember me. I've made 3 new remixes for projects, and am working on two more. I really love this community and want to get back into the swing of things.

Listened to track 1, really engaging! I'll check out the more a bit later on, but I'm fully intrigued from just that one track!

Thanks. I feel bad I haven't finished listening to your recent debut yet and you're already being gracious enough to check out mine. BGC418 is the highlight for me thus far though.

Thanks. I really appreciate that. I know I kinda disappeared from the community for reasons that are entirely my fault so it's good to know a few people still remember me. I've made 3 new remixes for projects, and am working on two more. I really love this community and want to get back into the swing of things.

Thanks. I feel bad I haven't finished listening to your recent debut yet and you're already being gracious enough to check out mine. BGC418 is the highlight for me thus far though.

No worries! Wanna trade albums? :)

I FULLY endorse this album. The word "epic" is overused, but that is what this album truly is. I'm only sorry I didn't listen to it sooner!

Totally, guys, if you have a couple spare $$ laying around in your paypal account, this would be one of the better things you can buy with it.

*BGC Stamp of Approval*

Well done! What sound libraries do you use? They're really high quality, and I've always wanted to do more orchestral stuff, but struggle with my current setup.

I can relate. I had originally wanted 8 tracks, but had to cut 3 because I just don't have the samples for them at the moment. Indeed, I don't have quite the library of sounds I used to.

For this suite, I used EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold (the old version), Stormdrum, a bit of Voices of Passion, Emotional Piano, some free soundfonts like squidfont, and some synths when I didn't even have a recording of the sample I needed. For example, the flute in track 1 is a synth.

Having good sounds to start with is important, but how you use them is even more so. For example, while EWQLSO Gold has a lot of quality sounds, I wouldn't recommend using them just as. Case in point, the brass in Courage of the Meek had 5 different layers - each for different notes - plus additional volume envelopes on top of that to get the level of expression I wanted. You wouldn't get the same sound from a single instance with no added dynamics.

Don't be afraid to resample sounds if they aren't cut well or you simply want to layer sounds to create new ones. All of the choirs in the suite are done this way.

Sometimes it's very hard to get away with faking it - like the piano solo parts in Dark Brew of the Wolf. A free soundfont piano almost certainly wouldn't have cut it there. As a general rule, use your most realistic samples for times when the focus is on that instrument, and keep your least realistic ones in the background, or in parts where the sound is dense enough that it won't matter.

If you have any questions about any specific parts, feel free to ask.

Totally, guys, if you have a couple spare $$ laying around in your paypal account, this would be one of the better things you can buy with it.

*BGC Stamp of Approval*

Thanks. :)

Long time no see Prophecy, remember the old ORC days! Lovely songs, great use of the sounds too they're used extremely well.

edit - bought, paid the asking price but would have paid more if I had more monays

Thanks. You bet I remember! Do you remember that one remix you did of one of my midis? The original was sort of orchestral, but you made it into a sort of light rock + strings sort of piece. I always loved that remix and wondered what happened to you.

Thanks. You bet I remember! Do you remember that one remix you did of one of my midis? The original was sort of orchestral, but you made it into a sort of light rock + strings sort of piece. I always loved that remix and wondered what happened to you.

Hahaha I still have it and remember it well, I think ORC and PRC is all backed up somewhere by Doulifee. I've been away much like yourself and busy with life. This must be the month of debuts or something because I'm just a couple of weeks away from releasing my own debut album and site. I check here now and then but mostly everyone I'm familiar with has moved on, so good to see you around buddy :).

Hahaha I still have it and remember it well, I think ORC and PRC is all backed up somewhere by Doulifee. I've been away much like yourself and busy with life. This must be the month of debuts or something because I'm just a couple of weeks away from releasing my own debut album and site. I check here now and then but mostly everyone I'm familiar with has moved on, so good to see you around buddy :).

You've got to send me that track. You'll have to share me with some previews of what you've been up to as well. I'd love to see what you've been doing all this time. I don't exactly have a big megaphone, but I'll do what I can to help you promote it.

I can relate. I had originally wanted 8 tracks, but had to cut 3 because I just don't have the samples for them at the moment. Indeed, I don't have quite the library of sounds I used to.

For this suite, I used EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold (the old version), Stormdrum, a bit of Voices of Passion, Emotional Piano, some free soundfonts like squidfont, and some synths when I didn't even have a recording of the sample I needed. For example, the flute in track 1 is a synth.

Having good sounds to start with is important, but how you use them is even more so. For example, while EWQLSO Gold has a lot of quality sounds, I wouldn't recommend using them just as. Case in point, the brass in Courage of the Meek had 5 different layers - each for different notes - plus additional volume envelopes on top of that to get the level of expression I wanted. You wouldn't get the same sound from a single instance with no added dynamics.

Don't be afraid to resample sounds if they aren't cut well or you simply want to layer sounds to create new ones. All of the choirs in the suite are done this way.

Sometimes it's very hard to get away with faking it - like the piano solo parts in Dark Brew of the Wolf. A free soundfont piano almost certainly wouldn't have cut it there. As a general rule, use your most realistic samples for times when the focus is on that instrument, and keep your least realistic ones in the background, or in parts where the sound is dense enough that it won't matter.

If you have any questions about any specific parts, feel free to ask.

This is super helpful, thanks man, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. This album has REALLY grown on me, by the way. The only reason I haven't bought it yet is because I don't have much money to spare and you deserve more than the $2 minimum from me. I'm spreading the word though, hopefully it'll boost sales a bit :)

pH