Dead Or Alive 5

AngelCityOutlaw

TGS trailer and stuff http://geek.pikimal.com/2011/09/16/fighting-game-genre-stagnant-dead-or-alive-5-will-bring-sexy-back/

Apparently fighting games are "stagnant" now. The trailer looks cool but I doubt there will be much of the promised innovation. At least that Itagaki or whatever his name was is gone. So there is hope for Ninja Gaiden 3 and now DOA 5 I suppose.

Still, I think it's unwise of this guy to talk shit about SFIV and Tekken when the only thing selling the DOA franchise was heaving tits........

Thoughts?

Unwise or not he's pretty much right on how fighting games are right now. Even MVC 3 is the same way. Fighting games havent changed in basic concept/controls in a good long while. Even the addition of 3D combat hasn't changed them too much. If someone's able to finally make that leap forward in fighting games that's happened in others it'd be one very nice breath of fresh air.

However has anyone heard anything out of Team Little Angels?

Unwise or not he's pretty much right on how fighting games are right now. Even MVC 3 is the same way. Fighting games havent changed in basic concept/controls in a good long while. Even the addition of 3D combat hasn't changed them too much. If someone's able to finally make that leap forward in fighting games that's happened in others it'd be one very nice breath of fresh air.

However has anyone heard anything out of Team Little Angels?

Well the basic control set up of SF and Tekken are sort of what fans want the game to play like. They just want some new features here and there. Like SFXT has lots of features that I can already tell will have me hooked for a while.

The main reason I found what that guy in the interview said to be douchey, is because his game is probably the most stagnant fighter ever and the new trailer, even if it's pre-alpha, doesn't show off anything truly innovative for DOA besides less tits.

the dead or alive series is a joke

For the most part, yes.

DOA2 Ultimate was the best of the series and that was over half a decade ago? Itagaki lost me forever when he said that DOA4 was the peak of fighting games as the game had real balance issues. If you didn't play a ninja character, you weren't going to win! I'm looking forward to this game but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Now where the heck is the annoucement for VF6?

I must have played against people who weren't very good, because I constantly dominated as Jann Lee in DOA4 and won a local tourney with him.

If you counter well enough you can play as anyone and just destroy -- what makes DoA unique is how much it favors defensive play (due to the strength of the counter, especially as a ninja).

My main problem with DOA games, while being extremely fun to play, is that online favors the defensive player.

Ofcourse, that opens up a whole new line of strategy by trying to play unpredictable (quite a challenge for me back when I was really into DOA, I mained Jann Lee), but if they guessed right 4 times in a row I have to admit I started looking for my salt shaker.

Then there's a whole other issue of that cheating A.I...

The amount of times I got close to a 100 victories in survival and then... Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have experienced that.

The trailer looked really good though. I'm digging the influences to the environment, it really looks like it's part of the fight.

Third Strike and parrying says hi.

I expected this. You can't really compare DOA to Street Fighter. While parrying in SF 3 may have rendered projectiles almost completely useless, you could not depend on it to win. You have know cancels, links, super arts, blocking, mind games, etc.

DOA is one of the only fighting games I know of where you can spend the majority of your time mastering counters and kick everyone's ass by mastering those counters alone. You don't really have to seriously learn anything else about the game to hold your own against almost everyone else.

In a nutshell, even the worst Street Fighter game (third strike), still offers more depth and strategy than even the best DOA game. My opinion anyway.

DOA is one of the only fighting games I know of where you can spend the majority of your time mastering counters and kick everyone's ass by mastering those counters alone. You don't really have to seriously learn anything else about the game to hold your own against almost everyone else.

In a nutshell, even the worst Street Fighter game (third strike), still offers more depth and strategy than even the best DOA game. My opinion anyway.

A fair point, and one I agree with you on, though 3rd Strike is still worth comparison. The big difference is that you have to block in SF3 to win; blocking in DoA is basically non-existant since you should just try to grab every single hit.

Man, there's a lot of dumb being spread around this thread by way of the OP.

DOA is all about mind games. If you make a misread or guess wrong, then trying to counter will prove to be a pretty stupid move. You have to not only learn the opposing character but your opponent as well, and you have to do it fast. You also have to make sure you're delaying your attacks and mixing up your entire game. Fall into a pattern and you're fucked. You sure as hell aren't going to find a flowchart Ken or Sagat in DOA.

Of course you could always take formerly of Shack News, Brian Leahy's advice and "consider sucking less."

This...isn't really an argument.

Any game can be about "mind games". I made them think I was going to do X, but then I did Y instead!!

Hell, you could say rock-paper-scissors is all about mind games.

Naturally, but the counter system in DOA makes that concept much more visible.

I guess the point I'm making is that in a game like Street Fighter, you could say that frame data is pretty useful, and the same could be said about DOA, but because of the countering system, it becomes evident that the game is much more mental than it is about execution.

• 2 months later...

Felt the need to bring this bastard back from the grave since there has been more news and video of course.

http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/10/dead-or-alive-5-will-have-a-simultaneous-worldwide-release/

I wasn't really...excited or anything in the beginning, but I think this baby could be awesome. The other day, I popped in DOA4 for the first time in freakin' ages and me and a friend played Tag Team. Loads of fun.

What you guys thinking? Apparently the game's only like, 15% complete. Still though. Could be epic after all.

Itagaki was a blessing and a curse on DOA. Personally I think Itagaki calling DOA4 the pinnacle of fighting games was a joke as the guy clearly lost his motivation at the beginning of this generation of consoles. The only thing DOA had over every other Japanese arcade fighter was the femme-factor.

Hitomi in a swimsuit and punching someone? Here's my 60 bucks now go away.

Still waiting for that Virtua Fighter 6 announcement.

Itagaki was a blessing and a curse on DOA. Personally I think Itagaki calling DOA4 the pinnacle of fighting games was a joke as the guy clearly lost his motivation at the beginning of this generation of consoles. The only thing DOA had over every other Japanese arcade fighter was the femme-factor.

Hitomi in a swimsuit and punching someone? Here's my 60 bucks now go away.

Still waiting for that Virtua Fighter 6 announcement.

I'd say Itagaki was just a curse lol. The new game looks impressive so far even though it's real early. I like how in the demo Ryu throws a ball of light. Reminds me of some other game....