Advice for a Beginner/Noob

Cash

Hi, I just signed up on OCR, although I've been checking the site daily for about 3 years. I've had FL Studio for about a year now, but I've only recently started to focus more of my free time on creating a remix. I was wondering if anyone knows of some good tutorials for FL Studio. I know my way around the program, but there's still a ton I don't know and need to learn if I ever hope to get a remix on this site. Also, any advice for a beginner at FL Studio and remixing is much appreciated. Thanks.

That's good advice, I'll spend time learning to critically listen. I'll definitely submit a mix to the workshop for feedback as soon as I have one. As for FL Studio, I've seen a bunch of tutorials but most of them have been really technical and not all that useful. Has anyone come across tutorials that focus more on practical examples?

Where would you say you stand at the moment in FL Studio, and what, specifically, are you looking to learn about?

Well, I can make simple melodies and descent drum beats. The main thing I want to learn is how to polish up my melodies and beats to make them sound professional.

Well, I can make simple melodies and descent drum beats. The main thing I want to learn is how to polish up my melodies and beats to make them sound professional.

If you want them to sound professional, it's not really FL-specific. (This is coming from a guy who is crazy obsessive about helping people with FL Studio.)

What you want to learn is things like mixing and mastering, which is the same for all DAW's in many areas except for how to implement them. If you consider yourself an expert on mixing and mastering and just want to learn how FL's mixer works, the manual (press F1 in FL Studio) should help you. If you're not, read this guide: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3784&highlight=zircon.

Do stuff in FL Studio WHILE you're reading it, so you can better understand what zircon is talking about. He also uses FL Studio, so it's not entirely from a foreign perspective. Once you get the gist of what he's saying, it's time to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Find more guides, watch tutorials, and take all of your songs and post them in the workshop section here. There are a lot of people who won't really help you ("omg cool song dude i love it") but there are also lots of intelligent people who will give very in depth and specific feedback regarding how to help with your production values. They won't sound like they like your song very much if you're new to the whole thing, but remember that you can either ignore them and not benefit at all or you can listen to them and your music gets better. And sometimes their advice is subjective, so you don't have to listen to it and you won't be missing out on anything.

Also, if you want to learn basic and complex FL Studio workflow things, you can watch things like Warbeat tutorials and FL Studio Guru videos for great tips.

I can't really add much to young neblix's advice other than a) stick with it; you're at the beginning of a brutally tough learning curve and B) seek out project files from other remixers who are willing to give them to you, if at the very least to see how they sequence their MIDI data and automation. Despite the fact I rarely had the artist's plugins, and as such, the file I got was little more than the arrangment and MIDI data, this analytical process was and still is critical for me. It just requires PMing someone who wrote one of your favorite remixes and asking if they'd be a sweetie and send the project file or MIDI data for it your way. Don't be surprised if someone says no, but you'll get a yes for sure.

Then, it's time to study, study, study.

You can create projects for fun and no-one will hear it. Practice some technique. Try a project with the objectives of : working the synth till you find the kind of sound you want, new project to test your sequencing, new project on layering etc. You can create over 5 or 10 project before one will be satisfying for yourself. Tho, others will find it noobish at start.But that's a part of the learning. The more project you've done, the better you gonna be and the better you gonna understand. Hope to see your first wip soon. Hope it helped too :). (By the way if you need help with Fl I know my way around. Just pm me. I'll work a project for you to understand.)

man is right. making stuff is imperative.

it's good to read up on production and theory and compositional approaches and all that, but if you just make a lot of stuff and enjoy it you should be good.

i didn't really use effects for about half a year after picking up FL. all i cared about for a while was the piano roll and the synths. if you keep using the program you inevitably delve deeper at some point.

i suppose some people prefer to really know their tools before doing much with it. i think it's more effective to teach yourself from the start how to retain a balance of challenge to yourself. like, make stuff with your limited knowledge of the program. if you just make a lot of stuff, some kind of productive routine will set in after a while. you'll sequence more efficiently.

sooner or later you get bored with your usual ways of making a tune, or you hit a barrier. there's this sound you want to achieve but your known tools and tricks aren't up to the task.

well, that is the perfect time to open this weird complex vst or read up on formant synthesis or analyse bulgarian wedding music.

you know, flow concept and all that.

You can create projects for fun and no-one will hear it. Practice some technique. Try a project with the objectives of : working the synth till you find the kind of sound you want, new project to test your sequencing, new project on layering etc...Hope to see your first wip soon. Hope it helped too :). (By the way if you need help with Fl I know my way around. Just pm me. I'll work a project for you to understand.)

That's a good idea, I'll make a bunch projects to try out my abilities. I was intimidated by all the great music here, but I just need to take a step back, and just make projects even if they're not so good. Thanks, I will definitely PM you if I get stuck.

I can't really add much to young neblix's advice other than a) stick with it; you're at the beginning of a brutally tough learning curve and B) seek out project files from other remixers who are willing to give them to you, if at the very least to see how they sequence their MIDI data and automation.

I've always enjoyed a challenge, I'm glad for the learning curve. If there's one thing I know about OCR, it's that the community is great when it comes to supporting and helping each other out. I'll take that advice and ask around for files.

If you're not, read this guide: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3784&highlight=zircon.

Do stuff in FL Studio WHILE you're reading it, so you can better understand what zircon is talking about...take all of your songs and post them in the workshop section here. There are a lot of people who won't really help you ("omg cool song dude i love it") but there are also lots of intelligent people who will give very in depth and specific feedback regarding how to help with your production values.

Thanks for that link, a lot of really helpful info. Yeah, I'll put my songs in the workshop. I've read some great critiques, so I'm not worried.

it's good to read up on production and theory and compositional approaches and all that, but if you just make a lot of stuff and enjoy it you should be good.

That's one of the main reasons why I'm getting into remixing, for the fun. And to remix the awesome songs that are still untouched.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, it was exactly what I was looking for. Sorry if I didn't respond to everyone, but I want to start mixing! :smile:

I've developed a productivity template for people just like you.

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36970

Basically this will eliminate a 10% of your workflow that's a bit tedious and let's you get right to making music with a bit of structure. If you don't have TLs and SPAN (as described on the thread I linked), get them. Amazing plug ins for absolutely ZERO DOLLARS.

Kontakt 4, however, is not. Just ignore that part of the template if you don't have any specific sampler you want to plug in there instead. All of the "hit" "slicex" and "synth" channels are empty for a reason. So you can plug what you want into them. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey, I'm fairly new at FL as well however I have found tutorials on YouTube from

"dngmusic" on mixing and mastering, and from "Agniveshbaghel" on side chaining and stuff like that. And yeah have fun and practice.

Best of luck and I look forward to hearing one of your tracks soon.

-JT

Hey, I'm fairly new at FL as well however I have found tutorials on YouTube from

"dngmusic" on mixing and mastering, and from "Agniveshbaghel" on side chaining and stuff like that. And yeah have fun and practice.

Best of luck and I look forward to hearing one of your tracks soon.

-JT

Thanks, I'll check those out at some point.

• 1 month later...