OCR02295 - Sonic the Hedgehog (GEN & SMS) "Hogtied"

djpretzel

I'm very happy to see this revision get posted! A great track, as it was on the album. The arrangement is excellent, as before. The mixing is clearer than before, and I feel this makes the synth/organ/metal fusion work together much much better. In the old version the guitars sound a bit like they were recorded in a barrel. Here they have a slightly lo-fi "texture" I enjoy. And like I said, the guitars and organ/synth mesh together better. Overall the good stuff is more available to the ear, so to speak.

On the negative side, there is a somewhat uncomfortable "pumping" effect between bass drum and bass, which bothered me greatly on the first listen - it was physically uncomfortable to listen to on headphones. I guess it's there to let the bass drum punch through? On further listens, I'm getting used to it, but I still don't enjoy it. To go on with the negative, around 1:45-2:05 the timing of the rhythm guitars is noticeably off to me, but that's more of a nitpick, and overall the level of playing sounds good to me.

Great track - and also quite unique. I'm happy to hear this revised edition!

--Eino

All I can say is yes. The difference made is stunning. It went from being a pretty good track to a really awesome piece. Very tasty.

I'm a fan of the punchy drums, btw. They take away from the lead guitar a little bit, and while that should (probably) be a bad thing, I actually really like it.

Synthy Organ Metal FTW! The source of Robotnik's theme was always a bit dynamic and such, but the guitars and drums really bring it out here and I love how well it was elaborated. Took me a second listen through to catch Scrap Brain, but once I did, I loved every bit of the ReMix. 3:23 and on up to the ending was my favorite part. Awesome works guys.

• 3 weeks later...
While I appreciate the effort gone in to create a second Mix of this song (and I know how difficult it can be to mix a rock song altogether), it sounds way too over-compressed; whenever the kick drum gets played, it turns everything else down for a split second.

:whatevaa:

Yeah, when I first heard it through headphones the day after Brandon did the mixdown, my first thought was "is the compression going to form as a new flaw for the track?", but after several listens I managed to get used to it. Given that the judges didn't bring this up in the re-vote, I'm not really sure if it's a big deal as such.

I do however acknowledge that this irk is probably going to split people. But at the end of the day we both had fun working on it over the past year or so, and we will be sure to keep learning from the experiences we run into :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thoroughly enjoy this mix. Nice collaboration!

Epic boss mixage right here. By the way, last time I checked you could find a midi version of this on VGMusic under Newly Submitted Files, and it’s by Rexy, so that’s pretty cool. It doesn’t take long for the source to start, and Brandon rocks the guitars in this. Main source at 0:54 in epic guitar. The percussion in this keeps a fast beat that makes me move to it. 1:41 brings Rexy in to the main picture with some jazzy guitar. 1:58 has Brandon take his own version of the mix, and it’s pretty sweet. It’s also a segway into Rexy’s awesome take with more guitar over it. 2:49 brings in the start to one of the more epic parts of the song, building and building until it explodes at 3:22 with more guitar source usage. 4:12 brings the start to the finale with rising notes that culminate in brief source usage that fades to silence.

The opening organ is immediately frighteningly good.

The drums kick in and everything takes a turn for the worse as I recall my childhood.

I remember how many times I died in this game. Oh god there were many.

The lead guitars are insanely good. The production is slightly off, which I think is great!

It gives that feeling of nostalgia for these battles. You had to think on your feet.

1:43 brings my favourite part. The lead is so catchy.

2:50 is the star of the show however. If I ever go back to those boss battles again, that's what I'll hear.

Either way. It's a great mix... I just wish it didn't bring back memories of me sucking. :(

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02295 - Sonic the Hedgehog (GEN & SMS) "Hogtied"