[Pokémon/Dubstep] Of Men and Monsters (updated)

Synthony

Finally figured out many of the tricks to producing nice, filthy dubstep, so I decided to move forward with a concept for a dubstep medley of various dark themes from the Pokémon RPGs. :D Here's what I've got so far. I got kinda lazy at the end, so I'll probably go back and do a few more manips, but for the most part, I'm pretty satisfied with it. :3

EDIT: Final FINAL final mix! I thought it was perfect last time around, but it turns out I'd forgotten to stereo-enhance the wobble basses. ^^; Fixed that!

Sources:

Pokémon R/G/B/Y - Team Rocket Hideout, Silph Co.

Pokémon G/S/C - Team Rocket Hideout, Unown Radio Tune

Pokémon R/S/E -

UPDATED LINK!!!!!!!!!

Download from SoundCloud

First person to name the Pokémon whose voice is featured in the song gets a cookie. :3

Thats some dirty dubstep right there :)!!

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the part at 1:42-2:10ish; I get the stutter bass idea, but I feel like there can be a little more melody to hear. However, I think the end was really pretty strong: I can't wait to hear what it sounds like when you flesh it out!

Along the whole song I feel like there can be a deeper bass that I'm not hearing. It most dubstep that I listen to, the lower register is always really powerful, and I think you have room to bring that sound out to make it really dark and gritty.

Also, Ghastly.

Thats some dirty dubstep right there :)!!

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the part at 1:42-2:10ish; I get the stutter bass idea, but I feel like there can be a little more melody to hear. However, I think the end was really pretty strong: I can't wait to hear what it sounds like when you flesh it out!

Along the whole song I feel like there can be a deeper bass that I'm not hearing. It most dubstep that I listen to, the lower register is always really powerful, and I think you have room to bring that sound out to make it really dark and gritty.

Also, Ghastly.

*hands a cookie* Touché.

I'll have to mess with the EQing a bit. There's a nice sub bass there, but my woofer might be up and I'm hearing it louder than it should be, I dunno. I did note that the mid-highs are kinda earbleeding in headphones, but the bass felt about right to me, even comparing to Skrillex and Gambit MP3s. I think maybe it just comes across as less powerful because of the fast melody I put the bass through a lot of the time instead of slow, powerful notes. I know for sure though that I need to bring the kick and snare out more though; they just don't seem to have the right punch as they are now.

The slow bit you mentioned is a cover of the weird tune that plays on the radio in the Ruins of Alph. There is no other melody, and while I did throw in some tweaks, I wanted the Unown tune to be easily recognizable. Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx7PkZkO-Qk

As for the ending, I said before that I was gonna tweak it, but after listening to it repeatedly over the last 8 hours on my phone, I feel like it's not gonna get any better than it is right now. I'm really proud of it. >w<

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some tweaking and/or sleeping to do. x_x

I'm not fan of pokemon . But I'm a devoted fan to dubstep for sure.

Two things bothered me here: Kick and snare sample could be changed completetly. Snare need more punch in low and high.

Too much compression from the kick directly on the song itself.

Otherwise, this is asesome and 2:38 to the end was AWESOME! This had put the listener to the max energy and want them to listen again.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, I didn't need to sleep tonight. :tomatoface:

I like the changes made, and can now that I have the melody for that portion I didn't like, it makes sense. Good job!

At last you understand. >w>

Glad you like it. ^^ I'm thinking I'll probably send it to the judges' panel within the next couple days, but I wanna see if I can squeeze any more feedback out of the forums first. :D

basically every instrument BESIDES the wobbly stuff needs an upgrade, in my opinion

maybe not the drums, but you need another thicker layer of drum sounds on top. the drum set does not carry the song well enough

instead of using better samples for the non-wobble instruments, you could get creative with lots of effects to make the sounds less generic and dry

that's just my two cents. the wobble is spot on, aside from MAYBE needing to be equalized a bit thicker (not totally sure on that), but the other instruments do not carry it

Bad title. You should call it "Scary Monsters and 8-Bit Sprites" :tomatoface: :tomatoface: :tomatoface:

I like the music box intro, especially that winding sound. Good atmosphere. The mix gets muddy at the busier parts, and the drums don't seem to push through as much as they should. I will echo chthonic about the drums. This is one thing a lot of people don't realize about aggressive dubstep when they listen to it- part of the aggressive effect is that the drums jump out at you.

isn't very chaotic and has a lot of empty space, but it's hard and loud because of the percussion. I'm not saying you should go in that direction, but making a point that dirty dubstep is more than just abrasive synths.

Aside from that, the loud sections feel "caved in" listening through headphones. The break down parts are fine, but when it moves into the dirty parts, the whole soundscape feels crammed together. I feel like you could use more of the stereo space here. Expand the wobble sound with a stereo phaser or chorus effect, for instance.

CCR, now that you mention, I do feel silly for not messing with stereo hardly at all. Before I figured out such tricks as the wobble bass and other effects automations, stereo foolery was a must in my music. ^^; Lately I haven't really bothered working in stereo, I just make the music sound good to me on my big speakers.

As far as the drums and bass levels go, it's been quite the challenge just to get it to sound as good as it does now. I constantly have issues with the bass compressing the rest of the track... If I want the bass up, the drums get muddy. If I want the drums to punch through, the bass has to come down. I can't find a happier medium than what I've got, unless there's some magical trick I'm unaware of that will stop the bass from compressing everything. >.<

The bass has been the biggest pain in the ass to mix here. If I turn it up, the drums lose their punch. If I turn the drums up then, the rest of the track gets compressed by the kicks and it just sounds awful. I'm really trying here but I just can't quite get a strong, loud, AND clean mix. @~@

It was well produced I won't fault it there. But to be completely honest with you...

I didn't feel anything from this.

Its WAY too clean.

I was bored the whole way through and this song never spoke to my heart. My soul felt nothing and It usually feels something when I get good dubstep going.

I know this isn't a real review. And objectively this is pretty good but, its really not doing it for me.

It bores me...

The ending however, was somewhat cool.

It was well produced I won't fault it there. But to be completely honest with you...

I didn't feel anything from this.

Its WAY too clean.

I was bored the whole way through and this song never spoke to my heart. My soul felt nothing and It usually feels something when I get good dubstep going.

I know this isn't a real review. And objectively this is pretty good but, its really not doing it for me.

It bores me...

The ending however, was somewhat cool.

I appreciate your feedback. It's not too often anyone separates critique from opinions, from what I've seen, so it's quite refreshing to hear someone say "It's pretty good, but I didn't like it". I can see where you're coming from, too, since I've come across plenty of dubstep tracks that didn't really do it for me. Everyone has different tastes, and I can respect that. Thank you for your honest feedback.

I appreciate your feedback. It's not too often anyone separates critique from opinions, from what I've seen, so it's quite refreshing to hear someone say "It's pretty good, but I didn't like it". I can see where you're coming from, too, since I've come across plenty of dubstep tracks that didn't really do it for me. Everyone has different tastes, and I can respect that. Thank you for your honest feedback.

Welcome. Its quite sad that a lot of folks don't separate objective and subjective quality more often.

• 1 month later...