Reason or FL?

mickomoo

they have a totally different design philosophy, reason is a closed system where the props try to provide every tool you'll need while FL is expandable with VSTs and can be used as a plugin itself - but you'll need to expand as many of the bundled generators and effects are...questionable. people make great music with both of them, it just comes down to which one works better for you

Neither. Ableton Live. :<:

I'm currently using mixcraft, but I'm starting to outgrow that.

In what way are you outgrowing it? What can't it do? What doesn't it have enough from?

Virtually every DAW worth its salt has a demo version. You've got a few songs that you've made with Mixcraft. Download a demo. Re-make one of your songs with the demo version. See how far you get.

See if the software works/thinks like you or not at all (this means that a certain workflow is/isn't to your liking, not plain old RTFM questions that get thrown at you).

Spend a week with it, write down your observations/experiences, pick the next demo. Don't try to do all demos at the same time - think of it as driving a car. You can only do that with one at a time, too.

Do keep in mind that even with software that comes with a dozen plugins people rarely stick to the built-in plugins; they're considered starting/utility/"good enough for government work" material in a lot of cases. It's just that when you're focused only on writing the best reverb possible and it's your flagship product you're probably going to do a better job of it than some DSP textbook algorithm that got thrown in so you have another checkmark on the feature list.

It's all about what works best for you of course and you can make equally amazing music with either but

I've used Reason (hate it), FL Studio, took Ableton for a little spin, Sonar and Orion. I still really prefer FL Studio by far. True enough that I've spent way more time learning it, but even still I found it's workflow and pretty much everything else more suitable for my needs right from the get go.

FL just has less bullshit to deal with than most of the other daws in my opinion. I just found it much easier to learn.

Plus, FL gives you free updates for life if you buy it! Producer edition is only 200$.

I've only really used Reason, FL, and an old, PC-compatible version of Logic. I'm not a fan of Reason's interface even a little bit. I can't stand their hardware emulation rack setup. Some people love it, but I find it to be overly an overly complicated visual gimmick. That being said, Thor. THOR!!! So good. There's no rule against running reason as a slave in FL :D

The old version of Logic I used is also used by some successful producers as their DAW of choice. Meh, it was ok. The native synths are fantastic, but again, the interface bugged me, and my workflow was stalled.

FL shines for me because the interface is solid, simple, and efficient. Its native synths aren't stellar, however.

I've always vastly preferred Fl over Reason. The interface is quite nice and makes for a very smooth workflow. It's also much more attractive than Reason... and lets you freaking maximize the window! That said, Reason has far better synths. So rewiring reason into FL or Sonar or anything is nice (though I don't think rewire works on 64-bit). So FL Studio with other synths and samplers plugged in is a very nice workflow. I personally have moved on because I wanted something closer to writing a traditional score, but it's a solid program. Ask zircon :-P

If you want to use VST's, then not Reason.

Nope, and according to the Propellerhead representative at IMSTA FESTA yesterday that I saw, they never will.

And I'm glad that they never will. :)

What you like will depend on your work flow. I was mainly an FL user quite a few years ago and I had plenty of plugins that I loved quite a bit. Since then, I've worked with Ableton Live, Pro Tools, Reaper, Nuendo, Tracktion, N-track and a few others. I eventually settled on Reason since it now has everything that I need and it fits perfectly with how I think in respect to production.

Reason ends up being used about 95% of the time in my project studio but I occasionally pull out Reaper for a few plugins that I like. Reason is certainly one of those DAWs, though, that you really need at least two monitors for. I do find it sometimes cumbersome when using it with just my laptop but I think I'm getting over it.

If this is worth anything:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?p=810305#post810305

I've developed a productivity template for FL Studio. This has all the channel routing and grouping done right out of the box for an all-purpose MIDI musician. Has 11 percussion channels, 10 synth channels, 8 sampler channels. Every mixer track has an EQ on it, with a specialized track that has a TLs limiter (free, go download it now) that has all percussion routed to it and the master which has a limiter, and Voxengo SPAN.

If you went with FL Studio with a knowledge of how it worked and used this template, you would make music about 2 seconds after you hit "FL.exe" or the equivalent action that launches the program.

This is not really meant to say "go fl studio", i'm just sort of getting some exposure for it for feedback (aka I'm marketing it :D). Since we're on the topic of FL workflow vs. reason workflow, it's semi relevant.

As far as I know, Reason can't record (Propellerhead has the whole Record thing for that), so if that's something that has importance to you, then FL Studio might be the better pick.

That said, I've used both Reason and FL Studio, and like C7 said, Reason got the synths but the 'workflow' can be a bit bothersome if your screen isn't big enough, whereas FL works better with having multiple ways to getting everything accomplished but some if not most of the presents can't really be developed past their defaults. Rewiring the two (or using Reason through FL Studio) would be the ultimate fix to this.

But if what C7 says is true about it not working on 64-bit, then yet another downside to this nice rig prophetik built me ;_;

As far as I know, Reason can't record (Propellerhead has the whole Record thing for that), so if that's something that has importance to you, then FL Studio might be the better pick.

That said, I've used both Reason and FL Studio, and like C7 said, Reason got the synths but the 'workflow' can be a bit bothersome if your screen isn't big enough, whereas FL works better with having multiple ways to getting everything accomplished but some if not most of the presents can't really be developed past their defaults. Rewiring the two (or using Reason through FL Studio) would be the ultimate fix to this.

But if what C7 says is true about it not working on 64-bit, then yet another downside to this nice rig prophetik built me ;_;

The new version of Reason is coming out this week. It has built-in recording/audio tracks and it is 64-bit:

http://www.propellerheads.se/reason6/index.cfm

Reason is an awesome program if you love creating creative set-ups. Here are some links to unique tricks that are really easy to make in Reason:

http://www.propellerheads.se/substance/discovering-reason/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_main

Reason and FL are completely different. Check out both demos and give each a fair shake. One will feel more comfortable than the other.

http://www.propellerheads.se/substance/discovering-reason/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_main

Reason and FL are completely different. Check out both demos and give each a fair shake. One will feel more comfortable than the other.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

I used Reason to make Oily Robot Lovin' for zircon's contest last year, and since I've gotten my new rig I've mostly used FL Studio, but knowing that Reason is now 64-bit I'll definitely be grabbing it when I have the cash. I can't do much rewiring now anyhow since I have Reason 4 on my Mac :razz:

I've used Fruity Loops a few years and it's just not for me (I also don't like the name Fruity Loops.. doesn't sound professional to me but that's just a picture)

Kinda offtopic, but worth mentioning that it hasn't been "Fruity Loops" for a few years now. It is now, and has been, known as just FL Studio.

Yes, the FL still stands for Fruity Loops, but if you don't like that name, call it what it really is now. :P

THIS.

I use FL Studio myself, but that's because I'm so invested in it. I've been using it for 10 years, and it does everything I need. But if I were to start over again (or if I were a new guy just getting into this stuff), it would be with Reaper. It doesn't suck, it's got a proper 64-bit version, and it's free! Well, technically free. You need a license if you're gonna sell stuff made with it but I think that's still pretty cheap, like $50 or something.

Reason on the other hand... It's not even a DAW. It's a tracker that thinks very highly of itself, with a broken GUI and a piano roll thrown in as an afterthought. No recording, no external plugins, terrible automation... Poor Propellerhead. So steadfast. So stalwart. It's a shame really. They know no better.

Your question should be "Reaper or FL?" That's a real discussion.

"If after 30 days you decide that REAPER is not for you, simply delete it.

If you decide that REAPER is for you, you must purchase a license. "

source:

http://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php

I tried Reaper and it was not stable at all for me. (laptop) I might give it a shot on my desktop

You must purchase a license if you want to sell your music. There is no inclination otherwise since they don't explicitly make it so you can't use it any more after your 30 day trial is up.