Reason or FL?

mickomoo

I'm pretty sure most DAW's can quantize just fine, I wouldn't go with Reason recording just for that.

Agreed. BTW if you like Reason's Quantizing workflow in the "piano roll" then Cubase would be an excellent fit. It basically has the exact same workflow in quantizing in the piano roll.

It sounds like with your computer it might be best to use Reason as a scratch pad to mock up ideas. Once you have your composition down, then you can export your midi and use Kontakt and other high libraries for the final product.

BTW if your computer can't handle what you are throwing at it right now you would be much better off buying a new or upgrading your current computer. Spending hundreds of dollars on expensive libraries and synths will only make your problem worse.

Agreed. BTW if you like Reason's Quantizing workflow in the "piano roll" then Cubase would be an excellent fit. It basically has the exact same workflow in quantizing in the piano roll.

I would just go right ahead and get FL because of its fantastic piano roll, but such a feature will be underused by someone who records their MIDI rather than writes it, so it's unnecessary at this point. But FL's "Quantizer" is superb, especially because of the plethora of groove templates to choose from. (You don't have to quantize to just straight beats, you can quantize to a swing groove or something else). I'm not sure if Reason or Cubase has this kind of feature, I'm just saying it's one of the reasons FL's piano roll is fantastic with lots of control and at the same time fewest buttons pressed as possible.

It sounds like with your computer it might be best to use Reason as a scratch pad to mock up ideas. Once you have your composition down, then you can export your midi and use Kontakt and other high libraries for the final product.

BTW if your computer can't handle what you are throwing at it right now you would be much better off buying a new or upgrading your current computer. Spending hundreds of dollars on expensive libraries and synths will only make your problem worse.

Yeah this is basically what I was going to do. I hear though you can control the amount of CPU you give to FL though so I might check it out.