PlayStation: Long Live Play

Thin Crust

The new playstation ad campaign

started up recently and so far they have only done an ad for Resistance 3. However, something else was released today that I think people should start asking questions about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBuK3EcY6vk&feature=feedu

It seems like something big is coming.....but I haven't the slightest clue what it is. See if you can find some playstation icons in this trailer. I did see the Metal Gear Mk II at about 0:26. And there is also the Sweet Tooth ice cream truck at 0:23. And last, I did see materia at 0:36.

In any case, we'll find out more on Oct 5th.

EDIT: The 5th is here and here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWkKKSckNk&feature=player_embedded

• 2 weeks later...
I was thinking about that whole two month period when you couldn't play on PSN because it was hacked, but yours is also good.

Microsoft just made a deal between Comcast and Verizon on their TV services to do streaming on the XBox. So yeah, anybody saying that their primary focus is on games, need only watch this years E3 to prove my point.

I don't have a problem with them adding these features, really I don't. But it's become obvious the current game business model is not doing them any favors now.

Your next gen is going to be a console that will require every game to be registered, and you won't be able to buy used (not without paying a fee). So essentially, it'll just be a dumbed down inferior PC, just labeled as an "entertainment experience".

pretty lol, toad. if by dumbed down, you mean a 350$-400$ unit that can play current-gen games with stunning graphics (albeit not quite as nicely as a 1200$ computer can do it, but way better at 1080p than even a decent system for new games) as well as legally stream TV, browse the web, and use social media features, all while requiring you to support game developers instead of undercutting them by buying used and supporting GameStupid?

SOUNDS TERRIBLE.

Consoles are terrible. Portables are the real true gaming front...

And not by much. Vita is all about Facebooking during your game, and then pausing it to look up stuff on your browser.

For all the shit people give about the 3DS, at least it's still primarily a gaming system. It doesn't make updating your friends on your current favorite pizza place as high a priority as actually playing the game you bought for it.

pretty lol, toad. if by dumbed down, you mean a 350$-400$ unit that can play current-gen games with stunning graphics (albeit not quite as nicely as a 1200$ computer can do it, but way better at 1080p than even a decent system for new games) as well as legally stream TV, browse the web, and use social media features, all while requiring you to support game developers instead of undercutting them by buying used and supporting GameStupid?

SOUNDS TERRIBLE.

I've given up on consoles mainly because they're just a much more controlled PC by their respective makers. Does that mean I'm not willing to give game makers their share? Where did I say that? I guess if you think I'm implying that.... fine.

I love whenever somebody makes a mere mention of disliking companies punishing gamers for buying a cheaper copy of their game, they immediately think you're against companies getting their fair share. Guess what? I'm not, but I'm against them constantly trying to play the victim card. David Cage proclaimed he could have gotten more sales with Heavy Rain if gamers didn't buy them used. What he won't say (and what most gamers will), is that he would have sold more if he made a BETTER GAME that wasn't just a $60 Dragon's Lair that is barely half as good. And that's my issue with that talk.

If you make a game that can get mass appeal (which often applies to good marketing), instead of pandering to a small group and proclaim how you're "pushing the medium", and sell a ton of copies of your game, you have little reason for complaint. Used games aren't going anywhere, the same as piracy. They're an unfortunate side of the entertainment industry, and the sooner those industries accept it, and try to better themselves so as to get more sales, than they wouldn't be in the mess they're in.

If I'm not mistaken, you can get a fairly decent PC built nowadays to play these games today with the same amount of money you'd pay in the long term with a console. Granted, not everybody is willing or able to do that, and I wouldn't hold that against anyone.

And as far as streaming television legally, there's plenty of devices/websites that do it just as good as consoles, if not better (I didn't say I was against consoles doing it). Social features like Facebook are better used on PCs and phones. I've yet to see any good convenience for Facebook on XBox, other than for Microsoft to have another bullet point to their Gold Membership.

If you like consoles, fine. I've reached my entertainment with them.

I have to agree with Toad a bit. I get that some people like being able to do ono-gaming things on consoles, but me, I'd rather have something that plays games.

Not to mention there's the appeal of a lower price tag because it doesn't have to support Netflix or Facebook or eBay or whatever else they want you to use.

And now we're getting really off-topic. Might want to split this up into a new thread or something.

I've given up on consoles mainly because they're just a much more controlled PC by their respective makers. Does that mean I'm not willing to give game makers their share? Where did I say that? I guess if you think I'm implying that.... fine.

I love whenever somebody makes a mere mention of disliking companies punishing gamers for buying a cheaper copy of their game, they immediately think you're against companies getting their fair share. Guess what? I'm not, but I'm against them constantly trying to play the victim card. David Cage proclaimed he could have gotten more sales with Heavy Rain if gamers didn't buy them used. What he won't say (and what most gamers will), is that he would have sold more if he made a BETTER GAME that wasn't just a $60 Dragon's Lair that is barely half as good. And that's my issue with that talk.

If you make a game that can get mass appeal (which often applies to good marketing), instead of pandering to a small group and proclaim how you're "pushing the medium", and sell a ton of copies of your game, you have little reason for complaint. Used games aren't going anywhere, the same as piracy. They're an unfortunate side of the entertainment industry, and the sooner those industries accept it, and try to better themselves so as to get more sales, than they wouldn't be in the mess they're in.

If I'm not mistaken, you can get a fairly decent PC built nowadays to play these games today with the same amount of money you'd pay in the long term with a console. Granted, not everybody is willing or able to do that, and I wouldn't hold that against anyone.

And as far as streaming television legally, there's plenty of devices/websites that do it just as good as consoles, if not better (I didn't say I was against consoles doing it). Social features like Facebook are better used on PCs and phones. I've yet to see any good convenience for Facebook on XBox, other than for Microsoft to have another bullet point to their Gold Membership.

If you like consoles, fine. I've reached my entertainment with them.

sure, used games are going somewhere. they don't exist on the PC, and they could get similar response from the console market by doing what they're already doing - restricting access to online content through codes. do it more, i say. as for the heavy rain thing, of course they'd have gotten more money from a better game. doesn't matter if it's shadow of the colossus or GTA whatever or the latest madden game, that's always the case. but saying that they lost more money to that than to used - considering that a game usually sells twice as many copies used as it does new - is a lie. i buy used occasionally, sure. but i buy the game when it's reached that used price if i continue to play it. i'm still supporting that developer with my money. if you don't think HR is worth 60$, great! wait till it's 40$, or 20$, and pay it then. don't pay 45$ at a game store and lie to yourself that you're not affecting the game developer, because you are. you're using their servers, and playing their game, and paying less because you didn't feel like opening a new package and spending 15$ more.

as for gaming systems, show me a computer that you could buy in 2006 when the 360 came out that still plays cutting-edge games on the high-to-ultra settings in 1080p. doesn't exist under $3k, and likely costs five times as much to run thanks to high power draw and inefficient graphics processors. as for "long term with a console"...what do you mean? are you talking about buying the games for a console vs. pirating them for pc? if you're talking about consoles taking a dive over time, don't make me pull out three-year failure rates for big-box PCs. i know that both the xbox and PS3 have had hardware issues, but once they were resolved - in both cases, by the natural process of shrinking the die, same as that issue is solved on a PC - failure rates for consoles over three years are a quarter of what PCs are in one year. you could easily buy two consoles between 2006 and today and pay less than what you would for a gaming system that's relevant today as well as back then. let's leave the computer pricing guides to me, since it's what i do =) as a guy who is trying to sell PCs, it's more cost efficient for gamers to use consoles. that's why pandering to the console market (here's looking at you, Dragon Age 2!) is so important for game makers...because there's a larger batch of people looking to buy from them, and because the lack of variable system hardware makes it way easier to design and write code for.

i can agree that there are paid websites that stream content digitally. since you don't usually have to pay for online access with a pc while you do with a 360, that's a fair cop, i guess. surprisingly enough, social features like last.fm and facebook get used in my house simply because i don't have my computer hooked up to the big flatscreen, so when i show pictures to friends i do it through my xbox. same with most of the other integrated stuff besides twitter. i realize that's not as much of a selling point, but yeah.

edit: erm, uh, moving on, i guess...just saw the other posts.

edit: erm, uh, moving on, i guess...just saw the other posts.

That's okay, not trying to start one of those PC iz bettah dan consolez crap. I've just found more benefit with my PC is all (and now it's hooked up to my television 8)).

With regard to PC building, like I said, I don't know much into that factor, so I'll take your word on that (which like I said, it may have more convenience for some than others).