VGDJ: The Official OCR Podcast

Rayza

May I comission a pixietricksMix in honor of the occasion? She does deserve it, you know. :)

Of course, I was originally going to try my hands and keep myself busy with this while waiting for a new episode, but oh well...

And also, :nicework: guys.

First time I've listened to VGDJ in a while. Time for a review on the format:

* Please please please get a less gay intro.

* I could hardly hear Wangless. Surprising as I'd have expected it to be the other way around. You know what to do.

* Good to hear Auroramix and Rayzamix once again.

* Random irrelevant quotes to split sections are gone since last I heard :) Not that I think uniform splitters are necessary, but it's an improvement nonetheless.

* Music reviews finally at 20:00. That medley really was pointless, although I understand the problem of condensing 10+ remixes, that 5 minutes was completely wasted on reading out names. Somewhat a moot point, as it's likely this situation won't happen again, but I can't help but think that that could have been done better.

* I can't help but feel that community news should come after remix reviews, not before.

* Weekly Review and Cyan_Ide for the win.

* The die returns, and while it has its charm, I don't think its really necessary to make the process seethrough. Just do the random crud before the show, and know what it is you're going to play before recording.

* Hahaha, you called Compyfox a jackass!

All in all business as usual. Better than what I remembered (apart from the obvious lack of remix reviews). Might I suggest tweaking the format around a little bit? Naturally you don't have to take my suggestions, but (obviously) I think they'd be worth considering.

- Provide said intro, and we'll take it into consideration. I'm perfectly happy with the intro as is, but special bumpers are always welcome.

- The remix medley was a joke. Deal. :P

- You bring up some valid points with the show order; I do think we put too many things before the "reviews" this week. Usually the news is a little more scattered. But yeah, we can play around with those things.

- I, personally, like the Russian ReMix Roulette the way it is. It's a fun little game that we enjoy doing, and helps the listeners see the random selection process. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? If everybody hates the way we draw it out by rolling the die etc, speak up!

- Provide said intro, and we'll take it into consideration. I'm perfectly happy with the intro as is, but special bumpers are always welcome.

I think the intro is cute, though the samples do get old. There are definitely worse podcast intros out there...

This last show I was secretly hoping for a huge dramatic re-entry with either DJP or Aurora actually saying, "Let there be rrrrrrremmmixxx!!!"

- You bring up some valid points with the show order; I do think we put too many things before the "reviews" this week. Usually the news is a little more scattered. But yeah, we can play around with those things.

I think the most-recent show order is fine. Intro, general news, ReViews, Cyanide & Rama, Roulette, then randomness at the end followed by stinger. Having Cyanide before the ReViews in previous episodes helped space things out, but do whatever you see fit.

This show the intro was more drawn out b/c of the new hosts and what-not.

- I, personally, like the Russian ReMix Roulette the way it is. It's a fun little game that we enjoy doing, and helps the listeners see the random selection process. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? If everybody hates the way we draw it out by rolling the die etc, speak up!

I agree with you and (the late great :wink: ) Rayza on this. Speaking out 6 ReMix names doesn't take all that much time and hey, it's a podcast, you can always fast forward! Besides, maybe an OCR newcomier hearing an artist or song title will spark interest and he or she will pick it up.

I only downloaded it to check this specific part, and you know what Jill? FUCK OFF! I thought you're professional on this (like "due to personal reasons that're not important to discuss here"), but you aren't.

Please do me a favour and look for somebody else to make fun of to push your ego even more. I had my reasons to stop the torrents and as it is my tracker (sorry to say this), I can do whatever the hell I want. Thanks.

It was on voluntery base anyway...

BTW:

I also listened to the interview of Claado (Chrono Symphonic) as I'm a part of the project myself, of course. It sounded so... scripted. It can't be helped, but Rayza and Larry do more fluent interviews IMO. At least it was neutral, but nothing that wasn't already asked in earlier shows already.

OMG! COMPYFOX CAUSED DRAMA+1!

drama.gif

I only downloaded it to check this specific part, and you know what Jill? FUCK OFF! I thought you're professional on this (like "due to personal reasons that're not important to discuss here"), but you aren't.

Please do me a favour and look for somebody else to make fun of to push your ego even more. I had my reasons to stop the torrents and as it is my tracker (sorry to say this), I can do whatever the hell I want. Thanks.

BTW:

I also listened to the interview of Claado (Chrono Symphonic) as I'm a part of the project myself, of course. It sounded so... scripted. It can't be helped, but Rayza and Larry do more fluent interviews IMO. At least it was neutral, but nothing that wasn't already asked in earlier shows already.

drama.gif

Compy if you post two more times your post count will equal my birthday

BTW:

drama.gif

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwshit 8O

I think the intro is cute, though the samples do get old. There are definitely worse podcast intros out there...

This last show I was secretly hoping for a huge dramatic re-entry with either DJP or Aurora actually saying, "Let there be rrrrrrremmmixxx!!!"

Oh, if I could make music (that didn't suck), then I would feel obliged to provide you guys with a new intro.

Certainly there are worse podcast intros, but I'd hope that VGDJ would step up from the plate now that it's evolving, so to say. I believe I even mentioned the annoying as hell intro way back when the show started.

Yeah, I hate that intro, and pretty much everything about it :(

I think the most-recent show order is fine. Intro, general news, ReViews, Cyanide & Rama, Roulette, then randomness at the end followed by stinger. Having Cyanide before the ReViews in previous episodes helped space things out, but do whatever you see fit.

This show the intro was more drawn out b/c of the new hosts and what-not.

The order for me is pretty much the same, but I'd move general news somewhere around the Report sections. A lot of that stuff just isn't important in comparison to reviews. Perhaps give a brief summary of what's going to be news, eg. "in community news this week, we'll have details of the New York meetup, etc." before starting with the reviews.

I agree with you and (the late great :wink: ) Rayza on this. Speaking out 6 ReMix names doesn't take all that much time and hey, it's a podcast, you can always fast forward! Besides, maybe an OCR newcomier hearing an artist or song title will spark interest and he or she will pick it up.

Like I said, it's got charm, but I don't think it's necessary. Bear in mind that time isn't limited persay, but it's good to eliminate as much wasted time as possible for a portable podcast format. You could use that extra time to, say, include a complete play of this weeks remixes, rather than just a sample (although that may have changed since last I heard).

Anyway, a lot of the criticism from me is due to the whole two month recap factor. The rest of it pretty much has been a problem for me since the beginning that hasn't been rectified. I'll check out next week's more regular show, to see what happens differently.

You could use that extra time to, say, include a complete play of this weeks remixes, rather than just a sample (although that may have changed since last I heard).

The reason we only play short clips of the recent remixes is to entice our listeners to actually visit OCR and download the music themselves. VGDJ isn't a playlist show; our goal is to involve people in the community here. If we played the new mixes all the way through, nobody would feel the need to explore the site, ya know?

Unless more people express concerns about the RRR, I think that's gonna stay as is. We'll play around with the show order for a bit and see what seems to work the best. I was actually surprised to hear that a couple of you find the intro kinda lame. I've always liked it, partially for nostalgia's sake, but hey... That's something we could probably change. Any suggestions, for seriously?

You could use that extra time to, say, include a complete play of this weeks remixes, rather than just a sample (although that may have changed since last I heard).

The reason we only play short clips of the recent remixes is to entice our listeners to actually visit OCR and download the music themselves. VGDJ isn't a playlist show; our goal is to involve people in the community here. If we played the new mixes all the way through, nobody would feel the need to explore the site, ya know?

Unless more people express concerns about the RRR, I think that's gonna stay as is. We'll play around with the show order for a bit and see what seems to work the best. I was actually surprised to hear that a couple of you find the intro kinda lame. I've always liked it, partially for nostalgia's sake, but hey... That's something we could probably change. Any suggestions, for seriously?

Nostalgia's a dangerous thing :P

I can understand your point about playing only a sample of a track gives an incentive to explore OCR, but it depends on your perspective. I'm not sure that the 30-60 second sample is enough to entice someone to download a track. It's a very vague guide to how "good" a remix is, and I feel that people could be missing out on tracks they'd otherwise have liked (and downloaded) if they heard more/all of it.

Though of course there is the whole problem of keeping time down. Either way, my main point was that the RRR transparency thing is a bit wasteful.

I can understand your point about playing only a sample of a track gives an incentive to explore OCR, but it depends on your perspective. I'm not sure that the 30-60 second sample is enough to entice someone to download a track. It's a very vague guide to how "good" a remix is, and I feel that people could be missing out on tracks they'd otherwise have liked (and downloaded) if they heard more/all of it.

Though of course there is the whole problem of keeping time down. Either way, my main point was that the RRR transparency thing is a bit wasteful.

Hmmm, sorry you feel that way, but as I said... Unless more people express annoyance with the way we do the RRR, I think that's gonna stay the same. It's fun, and most people seem to enjoy it as is.

Either way, the ReMix Reviews will definitely keep the same format. You're right, it does also have to do with time factor. But even if not every clip is long enough to impress someone, it's certainly better than playing them all the way through, which forces people to listen to the whole thing even if they don't dig it. I know that a bunch of people already skip over the actual music portion of the RRR for that reason. Sometimes it's better to play the tease. :wink:

Maybe it would help to look at it this way: the ReMix Reviews are actually just a subset of the community news. This is the music that has been released this week; we're just keeping people up to date, ja?

I really appreciate all the thought you've put into this stuff, TCK, so I hope you don't feel like we're just shooting down your ideas. It's great to hear a fresh perspective, because it helps us evaluate the effectiveness of our current format. Change requires time, but right now is the perfect opportunity for a little turnaround. Any new sections you guys might want to see on the show?