VGDJ: The Official OCR Podcast

Rayza

Uh, WTF on the Russian ReMix Roulette, Chris? It's a good feature that actually spotlights the older material, quickly and easily points out a set of games covered on the site, and mentions the names of a lot of past and present members of the scene. Personally, I skip right past the full playing of the mix, as I've heard them all already, but I can see the appeal for the n00bs.

In short, don't bother listening to TCK. Listen to me. [/judge]

But even if not every clip is long enough to impress someone, it's certainly better than playing them all the way through, which forces people to listen to the whole thing even if they don't dig it. I know that a bunch of people already skip over the actual music portion of the RRR for that reason.
Personally, I skip right past the full playing of the mix, as I've heard them all already, but I can see the appeal for the n00bs.

Haha, w00t, that wasn't even planned. Anyway, see my point there? ^_~

And yeah, I think Larry just about summed up all the great things about the RRR: spans a variety of games, remixers, and gives people a little taste of OCR history. If we didn't read out the names of each individual mix in the running, nobody would hear those things. And besides, it would be kinda bland without the game.

Uh, WTF on the Russian ReMix Roulette, Chris? It's a good feature that actually spotlights the older material, quickly and easily points out a set of games covered on the site, and mentions the names of a lot of past and present members of the scene. Personally, I skip right past the full playing of the mix, as I've heard them all already, but I can see the appeal for the n00bs.

I like the Retro Remix feature, and it's been something I'm surprised you never did on VGF (Oh burn!), but I don't see any point in spending two minutes reading through names and rolling a die. Why mention details of things you're not going to play? That time could be better spent going into more detail of the remix and remixer selected if so desired.

Besides, my momma told me never to trust someone who smells :P

EDIT: Will respond to posts I've missed (ie. PT's post above LT).

I like the Retro Remix feature, and it's been something I'm surprised you never did on VGF (Oh burn!), but I don't see any point in spending two minutes reading through names and rolling a die. Why mention details of things you're not going to play? That time could be better spent going into more detail of the remix and remixer selected if so desired.

Besides, my momma told me never to trust someone who smells :P

Hahaha! Well, I never play the older stuff because I can always fill up 2+ hours of time with current stuff. My show is more of a "current music & events in the community" thing, so nah, I never feel compelled to play older stuff. Ever.

Anyway, elaborating on why RRR is a good idea: John & Jill read off the various random stuff, for example...

Perfect Dark 'Deploy' by Strike
Final Fantasy 7 'Fluss der Liebe' by Israfel
Last Ninja '8-Bit Kamikaze' by Gecko Yamori
Bust a Groove 'Bust This Groove '81' by AkumajoBelmont
Secret of Monkey Island 'Metal Monkey' by Ryan8bit
Shenmue 'Ryos Renshuu' by mutagene

Potential fans out there may go "Oh cool, they have Perfect Dark...hey that Final Fantasy 7 could be good...nice, they have Bust a Groove TOO!..." and so forth. They may hear one track directly on the podcast, but 2 or 3 others from the list might also make them seek out OCR itself to satisfy their newfound curiosity. So, yes, Russian ReMix Roulette is one of the better selling points of the site via VGDJ. In conclusion, Chris, you smell.

Awww, John & Jill sounds so cute.

I'm not so much concerned with the format (since TCK has many ideas, most of them totally debunked by Larry), as I am with new ideas people would like to see in the show. Outside-the-box kind of stuff.

Like call in and make Wingless remix a track in under 3 minutes in real time during the show, then host that song on the site.

Or Pixie sings a line of something random, and we hold a contest for who can make the best _________ remix incorporating that vocal sample. Winner gets a cash paypal prize (from my poketz).

You know, wacky FUN stuff.

Not "I don't like homosexual music" shit :roll:

Yet another long post ahoy!

Anyway, elaborating on why RRR is a good idea: John & Jill read off the various random stuff, for example...

Perfect Dark 'Deploy' by Strike
Final Fantasy 7 'Fluss der Liebe' by Israfel
Last Ninja '8-Bit Kamikaze' by Gecko Yamori
Bust a Groove 'Bust This Groove '81' by AkumajoBelmont
Secret of Monkey Island 'Metal Monkey' by Ryan8bit
Shenmue 'Ryos Renshuu' by mutagene

Potential fans out there may go "Oh cool, they have Perfect Dark...hey that Final Fantasy 7 could be good...nice, they have Bust a Groove TOO!..." and so forth. They may hear one track directly on the podcast, but 2 or 3 others from the list might also make them seek out OCR itself to satisfy their newfound curiosity. So, yes, Russian ReMix Roulette is one of the better selling points of the site via VGDJ. In conclusion, Chris, you smell.

I personally don't feel that that's the case (but you already knew that, right?). In cool bulletpoint format:

* The only thing that's likely to be relevant to newcomers are game names. They probably don't know who "Jeremy Soule" is, let alone "DJ Crono".

* Reading out names of remixes won't likely give an impression as to what the track sounds like. And as much as it's a shame that newcomers are likely to discriminate on genre, it's something you have to work with.

* A minor point, buy when two of the six game names inevitably include either the word "Fantasy" or "Trigger", it doesn't help.

* If the idea is to attract people by giving game titles that have remixed tracks, a lot of that is done simply by reviewing recent remixes. Otherwise, where does it end? Could you, say, have a 12 mix RRR, and have more options?

It'd be interesting to hear of people who's explored any of the games/remixes/remixers of any of the losing 5, just through listening to the selection process.

Either way, the ReMix Reviews will definitely keep the same format. You're right, it does also have to do with time factor. But even if not every clip is long enough to impress someone, it's certainly better than playing them all the way through, which forces people to listen to the whole thing even if they don't dig it. I know that a bunch of people already skip over the actual music portion of the RRR for that reason. Sometimes it's better to play the tease. :wink:
I can understand your point about playing the whole track of something people may not like. Then again, unless the format has changed (or will change), you're likely to be going into a lot of detail over the mix in the first place, which can take as much time as the remix itself. It doesn't help that last I heard the talk came before the sample.

I guess it's a case of trying to strike a balance between showing a small sample not showing enough of the remix and showing off a whole remix that people won't even want.

Maybe it would help to look at it this way: the ReMix Reviews are actually just a subset of the community news. This is the music that has been released this week; we're just keeping people up to date, ja?

I really appreciate all the thought you've put into this stuff, TCK, so I hope you don't feel like we're just shooting down your ideas. It's great to hear a fresh perspective, because it helps us evaluate the effectiveness of our current format. Change requires time, but right now is the perfect opportunity for a little turnaround. Any new sections you guys might want to see on the show?

Like you said, now's a good time as any to evolve, and that's one of the main reasons why I chose now to take a critical look at VGDJ. Even if nothing I suggest affects the show in any form, it's nice to know that stuff is being considered :)

EDIT:

Haha, well said, Wingless. I'm all for some wacky new features.

But hmm, how to make the intro less "gay"........ :idea: I KNOWWWW! Let's just change our name to The J.J. Show™! Haha!

:tomatoface:

While I'd say "The J.J. Show" has a certain ring to it, perhaps it's not really appropriate :P

Awww, John & Jill sounds so cute.

I'm not so much concerned with the format (since TCK has many ideas, most of them totally debunked by Larry), as I am with new ideas people would like to see in the show. Outside-the-box kind of stuff.

Like call in and make Wingless remix a track in under 3 minutes in real time during the show, then host that song on the site.

Or Pixie sings a line of something random, and we hold a contest for who can make the best _________ remix incorporating that vocal sample. Winner gets a cash paypal prize (from my poketz).

You know, wacky FUN stuff.

BTW, whatever happened to that "Tune That Sample" thread and contest like a year ago? You know, the one where the 1st round sample was a terrible "Looks like it hit the tree!" and you had to build a song around it? I forget who started it, but I'd be all for resurrecting the contest.

I don't see any point in spending two minutes reading through names and rolling a die. Why mention details of things you're not going to play? That time could be better spent going into more detail of the remix and remixer selected if so desired.

Just to hear Rayza and Aurora arguing over the "die/dice" thing made it worth the time in past episodes. Is it really 2 minutes anyway? Is it really that painful?

I guess aside from the exposure to old ReMixes, it also an extension of the "randomness" I mentioned earlier; a chance for our hosts to bounce off each other for awhile while talking abour ReMixes the love (or don't love). One thing I don't want is a show where things run like clockwork and everything is edited and planned. It's no fun that way. I want to hear some banter and laughing spurts and "Holy FUCK!"s ( :lol: )

(Never thought I'd here those words, Pixie...)

Maybe a few seconds of pimping various RRR ReMixes on the fly & as you see fit would make it worth the while. Like "Yeah, I miss DJ Crono. His stuff was always hardcore," or "I'm voting for the Final Fantasy. This mix really stands out from the rest." Something like that.

Wut?

What's all this about changing VGDJ? You wanna take out the RRR?! HELL NO! That thing's fun! Besides, I'm not gonna listen to all of OCR's ReMixes, so RRR really helps a lot. Also, it would take the word "die" out of VGDJ :(

And I don't see what the problem with the intro is... at 30+ episodes, it has become iconic! "Hold on to your pants..." :lol:

About playing the entire remixes, who someone mentioned, I talked about that some pages back. When I started listening to VGDJ I made some comments and suggestions on how I thought it could be improved, but Rayza explained his reasons and, God knows why, they made sense! It's basically the same reasons Pixie is using now such as "incentivating people to check OCR out" and "the show would get too big".

Now to more serious matters...

Nice re-entry VGDJ! I really liked the show (and it's usual doseage of zany-ness) and I'm glad it's back on it's feet. The Wingless did a pretty good job as host, and c'mon, you guys all know having an (ex?)judge on the show means class. Hell yeah!

The intro, the hosts, the Remix Reviews, the reports, RRR, the call-ins and the stinger they've all returned!

Welcome back. We've missed you. :)

-Consciência Etérea (AKA Linkman25)

(P.S. Votage ensues!!)

Wut?

What's all this about changing VGDJ? You wanna take out the RRR?! HELL NO! That thing's fun! Besides, I'm not gonna listen to all of OCR's ReMixes, so RRR really helps a lot. Also, it would take the word "die" out of VGDJ :(

At no point have I suggested to remove the Retro Remix feature.
And I don't see what the problem with the intro is... at 30+ episodes, it has become iconic! "Hold on to your pants..." :lol:
OCR hasn't kept the same frontpage all its lifespan. Why should VGDJ keep the same intro?

Put it this way, if you got rid of everything after "this is VGDJ", I'd be much happier.

About playing the entire remixes, who someone mentioned, I talked about that some pages back. When I started listening to VGDJ I made some comments and suggestions on how I thought it could be improved, but Rayza explained his reasons and, God knows why, they made sense! It's basically the same reasons Pixie is using now such as "incentivating people to check OCR out" and "the show would get too big".

My point is that it DOESN'T give an incentive to check out OCR, because 30-60 seconds is not enough to give an incentive. 90-120 seconds would be so much better.

Wut?

At no point have I suggested to remove the Retro Remix feature.
OCR hasn't kept the same frontpage all its lifespan. Why should VGDJ keep the same intro?

Put it this way, if you got rid of everything after "this is VGDJ", I'd be much happier.

My point is that it DOESN'T give an incentive to check out OCR, because 30-60 seconds is not enough to give an incentive. 90-120 seconds would be so much better.

Well, I'll give you the first two, but I gotta question the last. 30-60 can be enough! It really only depends on what section of the ReMix is played. If it's the ending, it's not enough. If it's the intro, it's not enough. If it's the middle section when the music is in full swing, it's more then enough. It all really depends on what section of the music the hosts choose to play.

That's not a bad idea. I don't think anyone is even really motivated to make a whole new intro though - I remember Aurora and Rayza asking listeners to do a new intro and the response was pretty underwhelming. I think there was like one remix of the intro submitted.

I dunno - it gives me a pretty good idea. They'd give their little review and play a little snippet, and I could decide whether I'd want to download it or not. I see the podcast as a complement to the site - kind of a portable news section. I don't think the samples need to be longer, but maybe Pixie and Wingless can play around with a new format and see what the response is. Frankly, I don't think it would really be any different, man.

As for the Remix Roulette, the selection process as I see it gives it a bit more of a human element. You could do it beforehand, but I don't mind listening to it. It's pretty entertaining, I think.

I'm going to have to follow along with and compound Larry's thoughts on this, TCK. Larry's points are all very valid, and I would like to add another factor to the equation. Besides the fact that the hosts just plain read out the names of the games and artists, there's also the hosts' input to consider. Oftentimes, such as was the case in the last episode, the hosts will show excitement for a particular track in the queue while they're reading it. I know I found myself to be checking out those remixes which I hadn't heard very much that Rayza or Aurora or Pixie had expressed explicit interest in. So even if those tracks don't get rolled, they still get some serious positive publicity from the hosts, helping to draw listeners to those tracks.

Don't worry, TCK, I'm not a fan of the intro, either, but no one has yet rose to the challenge of concocting a new one, despite contests and pleas and such. Perhaps Pixe and Wingless can give it another shot in the future. However, for the time being, there's always the fast forward button. ;)

My main complaint is that the volume's not very normalized. You'd listen to a voice that was nice and normal, and then a sample would blast your ears off. :( The mixing is a little bit off, as well (some of the vocal clips are cut off a bit by sound effects).

I'm sure those technical aspects are easy to fix. Go Cyan Ide - good consistent work from that guy every week! I'm sure that there's a bit of transition going on still. The introduction before the ReMix reviews felt long, but that's really a transition thing, and not anything specific to what The Wingless and pixietricks are doing. I don't think I'm able to resist The Wingless's manly charm.

It's good to hear the show again. I usually use it as a spotlight for the latest mixes on OCR; also, I like the RRR; I like hearing the hosts' opinions on the songs that are read out, in the form of "Which song do you want rolled?".

And this is such a strange request... but I think pixietricks should swear less on air. :P :P She's taking after Rayza, now!

Since Pixie has such a dirty vocab, maybe she should try Unmod out more often.

They are already talking about you there anyway...*whistles* :wink:

So anyway, are there any changes being made on the format, just for testing this episode? Or are sticking to the classics?