VGDJ: The Official OCR Podcast

Rayza

Hey, just to clarify exactly what we're asking here for the trivia contest - we want BOTH of our pronunciations for the listed ReMixers. In other words, the way I say "McVaffe" is different from how pixietricks says "McVaffe". We want to hear both! Trust me, if you've been listening, the differences are obvious :)

Voted :). As long as Pixie or someone can tell me (Or PM me) how to say "Stupid Emo Kids" in japanese :puppyeyes:?

Baka na "i-mo" no kodomo

Thanks, Pixie :wink: .

And on an unrelated note, how are you going to know which e-mail and voicemail are the same person? should I include the e-mail address that I will use to send you my physical address in my voicemail?

Zircon, on the ReMix tutorial episode-thing, I'd be particularly interested in learning the basics of remixing. My neighbor is going to *kindly purchase me a copy of FL Studio 6, which I understand is an entry-level program for this sort of thing.

I’d like to know how much musical knowledge (in terms of composition, arrangement, production, etc.) is required to get into the ReMixing scene. Does it take a formal education in music theory, or is it something you can pick up if you’re willing to work at it hard enough?

Also, what does it take to make a ReMix OCR-worthy? I think, as a judgefgt, you’d be able to help out on that sort of thing.

---

You guys are doing a great job on the show. It continues to sound very professional while remaining entertaining and engaging to the community. Keeps me going during the workday.

Nice work!

Zircon, on the ReMix tutorial episode-thing, I'd be particularly interested in learning the basics of remixing. My neighbor is going to hook me up with FL Studio 6,

*cough-sputter-cough* You mean your neighbor is going to kindly buy you a copy? Of course that's what you mean.

which I understand is an entry-level program for this sort of thing.

Yes and no. Easy to learn, difficult to master, and in many ways limited without external input.

I’d like to know how much musical knowledge (in terms of composition, arrangement, production, etc.) is required to get into the ReMixing scene. Does it take a formal education in music theory, or is it something you can pick up if you’re willing to work at it hard enough?

Basically you'll notice SOME musical theory involvement. There's knobs marked arpeggio which would require you to know what an arpeggio is. There are chord features which feature chord names. The piano roll displays a piano... but really, ultimately, it's as required for you as it is for anybody... which is as much as you choose to believe. Many rock and roll guitarists had wonderful, talented, and fulfilling careers without ever officially learning a single note. They trained by ear and by practice. Similarly, the more you learn about the nature/science of sound the better. What can it hurt right?

Bottom line; you can get by fine putting random note blocks in random places until they sound good; but you may never know WHY they sound good.

Zircon, on the ReMix tutorial episode-thing, I'd be particularly interested in learning the basics of remixing. My neighbor is going to hook me up with FL Studio 6, which I understand is an entry-level program for this sort of thing.

Seconded.

My 2 cents on the musical background thing: It certainly helps, but isn't a requirement. Hell, many of the guitar greats can't even read music! Some people have a knack for that kind of thing (Van Halen, from what I've heard), others learn the rules and then know how to bend them (Soundgarden).

It also depends highly on the style of remixing IMO. Making a solo piano remix and a trance remix seem to me like very different endeavours...

But back to the remix tutorial idea. Rather than teaching any one program, maybe you should talk about the principles of remixing: how to handle original content, how to use and improve insturment samples, sound editing concepts like compression and reverb, etc.

Maybe I'm a little bitter cause I can't have FruityLoops on my Mac; shut up...

Thanks for the advice on the musical-knowledge thing, since I've always been somewhat compositionally challenged. I remember a couple of years ago there was a pretty long thread on "how to mix" and such. Most of the responses affirmed that it's not for everyone, and encouraged learning music theory. Naturally, I wanted to start taking some music theory courses through high school, but they were only offered at the AP level, which I think would be a bit much being completely new to the subject. Now that I have some more free time, I can pay attention to these sorts of things, and develop some new skills. I think it'll be much more rewarding than sitting in my dorm or room and playing games all day.

Yes and no. Easy to learn, difficult to master, and in many ways limited without external input.

While my neighbor goes about creaming himself because he thinks Fruity Loops is the most amazing thing ever, I thankfully have been taught by the OCR community that it is considered to be a fairly limited program (depending on what you're trying to do, or course). Perhaps Zircon could touch up on some of the more common programs used in remixing.

All in all, I think it's a great idea Zircon, and it comes at a time I'm ready to listen, since I'll soon have much more free time to study this sort of thing.

I gotta disagree about FL. I do EVERYTHING with FL, all of my mixes are created in there from start to finish. It's not really limited at all.

I've only heard bad things about it. But since it's what I'm going to be using, this will probably end up working to my advantage.

Lookin' forward to it.

Really glad to see you guys are into this idea. We were talking about it earlier, and I think zirc is planning on starting off with the basics for this first round. He'll probably talk about conceptual stuff and point people to some programs to experiment with, but it won't be too technical at first. If the response is good, I'm sure he'll wanna get into more detail in later installments. ^_^

As always, thanks for all your positive involvement. It really makes this show worthwhile and fun. :)!!