Tyrian - Level Theme PCReMix [RESUB]

Magellanic

So, its been a while since I've posted anything here but here we go anywho:

Source:

Final Version

I entered this into the PRC competition. I did it in two days, hence it being a little short. I'm happy with the feel and the style. It would just like to extend it and give it some polish.

In general I've basically been trying to make my music more human and like a performance. I've addressed this somewhat by playing the leads and some of the accompaniments.

This is a WIP so things I will be changing:

- The guitar lead will be re-recorded as there is a little slip-up

- The Hi-hat needs refining in both sequencing and mixing.

- Bass drum sequencing needs tweaking.

- Crash cymbals need a bit more mixing attention

- Ending needs percussion/drums adding

Any feedback is welcome. Even if its just to say that it sounds like its heading in the right direction.

Enjoy (hopefully)

Edited by Magellanic

Tyrian! That's great!

I was actually planning on doing an orchestral arrangement of this same theme. It's great to hear a Tyrian remix here. The game definitely doesn't get enough attention.

I really liked the electronic parts, and the inclusion of the game's sound effects was a nice touch!

The drums do seem like they need some more work, but I'm not an expert on that, so I can't give you any advice.

However, I can suggest that you substitute the violin instrument with something else. Judging by the sound of it, it doesn't have the proper attack for such a fast-paced melody. It's good for long notes that accompany the main melody, though.

I hope that helps! I wish you'd make the mix a little longer, though. I think it still has a lot of potential.

However, I can suggest that you substitute the violin instrument with something else. Judging by the sound of it, it doesn't have the proper attack for such a fast-paced melody. It's good for long notes that accompany the main melody, though.

I agree with you there. I was really wanting to have something like a violin. I may have an experiment with some synth strings.

I hope that helps! I wish you'd make the mix a little longer, though. I think it still has a lot of potential.

Definitely going to be extending it. At the moment I'm toying with the idea of extending the slow section at the start but I'll see how it goes. Thanks a lot for the feedback :)

Excellent! I'm going to say I enjoyed it wayyyy more than the original. You have pointed out most of the issues already (guitar work, violin etc.) so let's move ahead.

- Definitely replace violin with something else (synth as you said)

- I think snare could use some reverb (or use a thinner snare with reverb)

- Here's something I always do with my stuff. If hi hats are on auto-pilot, "hide" them behind everything. The give a very midi-sh feeling to "any" track. But my suggestion is to make a short pattern (maybe 2 measure long) and copy/pasta all the way :D

- Last important bit is to introduce some 3 synth (or string) chords in the background to complete the accompaniment.

- I think you need to re-think your synth choices (but wait for the panel's response to your FFX mix because I can be totally wrong and they might like it)

Looking forward to hear next update. Keep it up :D

Edited by DjMystix

Cheers for the feedback bud :D It is as always appreciated. I'll definitely be working on what you said.

- I think you need to re-think your synth choices (but wait for the panel's response to your FFX mix because I can be totally wrong and they might like it)

I'm still experimenting and finding/making the synth sounds I like. There are a handful I've now tweaked or made to my liking but do you think I need to be less diverse in the sounds I use? Or are there just some which you think don't fit? Regardless of what the panel say, I'm always open to hearing crits as it helps give me direction on how I may be able to improve them :)

• 10 months later...

Having been suffering writer's block for a while so I thought I'd give one of my old unfinished remixes some attention. Thought it might get the creative juices flowing again. I know I didn't post this in the PCReMix thread but, meh, its still from Tyrian :P

Remix: Link removed

Basically, this is a remix of my own remix. Almost ended up having this as a solo piano mix but I wanted to try out a few things. Getting the right guitar tone seems to be an endless struggle >.< .The guitars are using TSE X50 amp. I gave up with what I was using before.

The drums are just looping and I still need to tweak some EQ and such but was wanting some feedback. As always, help and feedback are always appreciated!

Edited by Magellanic

I don't really have much I can say on this, but one thing that really stands out to me is the final hit. It seems to create an overload. Try to fix that. :D

When the left edge of the time slider reaches the right edge of the word "as" (lol, I had no good idea on how to say that), the piano sequencing or playing could be refined. I figure you want a buildup type sound. Try creating a greater difference in the velocities of each note. For example, in the fast arpeggios when the left edge of the time slider is halfway between "as" and "Favorite", everything "sounds" like it's nearly the same velocity, so that's something you should look at.

Other than that, I think other people are giving the right critique. :D

MOD REVIEW

Man, when this thing gets going it really gets going - love that guitar work in there, when it gets to it. Of course, it takes a considerable amount to get there, considering the length of the track overall. The arrangement, in this sense, is borderline passable. Source is there, though - maybe a little bit too much so, in fact, but you do have some real fun with it later in the track, so I think the interpretation end will pass.

Personally, I feel it's too short. It has a lot of energy, and really feels like it's going to push through to a new section that changes things up considerably, but then it just... ends. I have a feeling the extended intro is giving a sense of unbalance to the track, but rather than change the arrangement on the intro try giving it some more love at the end, perhaps giving it another section before letting it close off. Give it some thought.

Considering how much of the track consists of the piano/synth combo, it's important that you nail it... and I don't think you do, quite yet. The piano sounds plodding in a lot of the texture, in the beginning (it gets better with the runs), and the synths that you use sound weak. It just sounds too thin and relies too much on having a heavy attack for effect. Lighten up on the attack on that synth, make it thicker (Layering? EQ?) and envelope a swell when it would be most effective. Every time these instruments come to the foreground these issues arise, so it's important that you address them.

Production quality... well, I'm listening on hand-me-down earbuds from a school, right now, so I can't say much for sure. Sounds like it'll pass to me, in that regard, but it'd be nice if another mod confirmed this for me.

Nice work, and awesome source. Not nearly enough Tyrian love on here, so I'm glad to see you fighting the good fight. Be sure to get those instruments fixed, for sure, and take a look at the end of the track before submitting, though.

Generally agree with what Gario said - definite EQ issues on some instruments, but overall good rearrangement of the source. While I think that the intro feels somewhat disconnected from the rest of the mix, it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Overall production/mixing is adequate. It is not squeaky clean and could use some more TLC.

Thanks so much for the feedback guys, I didn't post earlier coz.....well I didn't have an update. I've been working on it trying to address the issues you posted. I suppose the biggest thing update is the new section at the end. Took a while, but managed to get a solo whacked in there. I'm still not quite sure of the mixing. Been experimenting loads but don't seem to be able to improve it beyond this latest update.

Remix: stats.png

Thank you again for the feedback as it really helped motivate me to stick at this and try to improve it :) Much love!

Edited by Magellanic
Updated Remix Link

Random thoughts:

- I like the piano sound

- Hmm, could use a little more humanization in the beginning: I'd vary the velocities so that some of the notes are accented and other are played more lightly, especially when there's a bit faster run. When the bass drums comes in, the mechanical feel on the piano is fine for me (though humanizing that too a bit might be a cool touch)

- The intro seemed to flow into the meat of the arrangement better than the previous version

- Very nice to hear this familiar theme :)

- Rock!

- Some flubs, playing of the lead sounds messy in.. can't seem to get a timestamp from the tindeck player? Just before the halfway mark.

- The volumes of rock and strings/piano seem uneven just after the halway mark, the strings seem to overpower everything. Maybe use compression on them?

- The new extension in the end works quite well, modifies the original but still follows it

- The piece didn't seem too short like the last version did

- Cymbal crescendo at the end clips a lot

The playing is pretty good and enjoyable both in performance and sound. I think it could affford to be a bit tighter at some points (can't give timestamps). You're doing a good job here, so it deserves to be top-notch and flub free. Tyrian FTW!

--Eino

I finally feel happy with this. Spent a long time getting the EQ and balacing sorted. I've cleaned up the "flub". The more soar my fingers are, the more flub there is lol. But thanks for the feedback Eino, I've addressed the points you mentioned as best I can.

Remix: http://soundcloud.com/lidawg/purple-v5-draft

Changes:

Re-recorded rhythm guitars and leads

EQ

Velocities

Balancing

Snare drum

That's all finished now but would still love some feedback. I'm sure I will have missed something :)

• 1 month later...

I have some small issues with this that unfortunately will have to wait:

The snare is a bit too soft. I've taken a look at some professional guitar tracks and what you should do is make sure the snare is at about -1dB, but your whole track should be at about -0.7dB maximum altogether. Then, hard limit it to -1dB and normalize it to -0.2dB... three times (seriously, it seems like Sixto does that too; his tracks are borderline overload but they're compressed so well that it sounds just fine). xD Give that a shot and see how it sounds, and if you like it, and it wasn't approved, then it might help on the resub. :D

Solid track, but the intro hurts it IMO. It's still pretty mechanical-sounding and the chords are off sometimes (e.g. 0:18, same mistake at 1:54). And I can see that you're trying to mix things up by bringing out the strings at 0:29 but that ends up exposing them too much and making them sound fake.

My suggestion would be, instead of focusing on piano and strings in the intro, use those guitar skills of yours and do some acoustic guitar! I think that would add a lot to the intimate feeling you're going for.

My suggestion would be, instead of focusing on piano and strings in the intro, use those guitar skills of yours and do some acoustic guitar! I think that would add a lot to the intimate feeling you're going for.

Seconding this; the intro's the only part of this great remix I'm not absolutely loving - although it's still pretty good - and I'd be interested to hear it replaced with some acoustic guitar. Maybe you could try working in a soft piano backing for it?

Thanks a lot guys for the input :) I'm always apprehensive about using acoustic guitar because mine is just so crap. However........I was hoping to get your input on this:

http://soundcloud.com/draft-arrangements/data-flux-acoustic-1

The only thing that has changed is the intro. I've recorded some acousitc as you suggested. Feedback and thoughts appreciated.

Edit: Two guitar parts as requested. The harmony was a bit awkward to come up with but I think it works.......kinda lol

Edited by Magellanic
Update link