Magic: the gathering bi-weekly online league

OceansAndrew

So i've been throwing this idea around in my head for awhile, but what are your thoughts on creating an online league for playing magic over cockatrice (free MTG program that is pretty nice)?

There are a bunch of players on theshizz and on OCR, and having a specific meetup time once every 2 weeks for tournaments, or drafts, or whatever would be kinda cool. Since cockatrice is free and has the entire card database, card availability isn't an issue, so people can play what they want, and using CCG, we could do draft or sealed.

Any interest? It'd probably be a weeknight like tues or thurs every other week.

What is that free MTG site you speak of? Man, it's been ages (I mean, back in high school ages - the last edition to be included in my deck was Planescape) since I played that game seriously. Oh what the hell, for old times sake, count me in for a couple of rounds :P

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found the whole 'Cockatrice' comment on the first post. It might just take away the main problem I had with the original game - card cost. Let's see if I can dust off my old skills, here...

Between OCR and the shizz, we have about 21 people interested, which is totally awesome, and a great starting point!

Since the skill levels of people vary wildly, and since a lot of people are coming into this without playing for a long time, I think the best way to start would be to make a small-pool constructed format, and then gradually work backwards.

Typical rules apply for constructed; a limit of 4 of any card except basic lands, and a 60 card deck, with 15 card sideboard.

Block format (Currently 1 legal set, Innistrad):

"]Block

Standard format (Currently 5 legal sets, Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged, New phyrexia, Magic 2012, Innistrad):

"]standard

Eventually we'll give Modern and Legacy formats some time, but let's start with these two constructed formats for now.

SETUP information:

1. You'll need to go to www.cockatrice.de and download the program (all platforms available! Yay Mac users!) and register your name. Once registered, put your name in the thread, so other users can friend you in cockatrice.

2. Once downloaded, you'll need to run the oracle program to get the cards updated, and then you can start building your deck.

3. For the time being, we'll go with the honor system for deck construction; make sure your deck is legal. If you aren't sure, ask others!

4. If you haven't used cockatrice before, you might want to get a feel for it; it's pretty simple to use, with minimal button pressing, but it's good to get an idea of how it generally works. You can play some games VS yourself with it, or meet up with another league member.

5. We will have an IRC channel set up on Esper.net called #VGMMTG. I'll be idling there for sure, and I bet a few others will eventually.

The first OFFICIAL night we'll try this will be Thursday the 13th, at 8pm EST. We will be playing *Block* format, so do your best to make a deck using the cards from Innistrad that can crush your foes! you can choose to keep your creation secret, or collaborate with others to get something extra-strong. :-)

If you have questions about anything or need tech help, show up a little early, and people can help you get set up. Also, I'm sure a few of us will be playing beforehand, so that's a good chance to get your feet wet with the program, and work out any kinks in your deck.

I don't mind this first session being the one where people learn Cockatrice. The interface is good, but not always obvious, and I think some things about it you only learn by playing (this was certainly true for me). I'll try to throw some decklists in this thread in case people just want to play and not build a deck.

Yeah that's fine. I just do a lot of tournaments locally block type for me is a draft tournament not precon. I prefer standard tournament formats for something like this.