Magic: the gathering bi-weekly online league

OceansAndrew

After taking a look through the cardset for the current set, I can say it's fairly vanilla with nothing super exciting...it should be easy for older players to grasp new cards and set concepts.

How do these double sided cards work in a deck though?? You know what you're going to draw before you get it...this I don't understand why they would. Obviously opaque sleeves prevents this, but was it part of the design concept to know when it's coming?

After taking a look through the cardset for the current set, I can say it's fairly vanilla with nothing super exciting...it should be easy for older players to grasp new cards and set concepts.

How do these double sided cards work in a deck though?? You know what you're going to draw before you get it...this I don't understand why they would. Obviously opaque sleeves prevents this, but was it part of the design concept to know when it's coming?

You can't play them without sleeves, and if you don't have sleeves you have to use a proxy. :P Yeah I think it's very gimmicky, and really defeats the point of even making a double-sided card, but whadayagonnado.

can we focus on standard and legacy and forget modern and extended and vintage even exist?

using just innistrad for the first round i suppose is fine, since most of the time is probably gonna be spent figuring out cockatiel and learning these silly new mechanics (two sided cards? what on earth).

also i foresee a problem with 8pm thursday evenings, since that's compo time.

I'd love to play something like retro standard occasionally. It'd be cool to say ok everyone can use the Tempest block, Urza's block and the core set that was valid then for this week :) Everyone could vote on which retro blocks to use ahead of time :) Just something to spice it up

For the foreseeable future we'll be focusing on block and standard, as well as draft. Modern/Legacy can be for those who are interested. The goal of this is to have a semi-simple (at least as simple as magic can get) playing field for people to have fun in. I'm sure plenty of people will be interested in the deep end, andthey can meet up ad play too, via the power of networking :-)

For the foreseeable future we'll be focusing on block and standard, as well as draft. Modern/Legacy can be for those who are interested. The goal of this is to have a semi-simple (at least as simple as magic can get) playing field for people to have fun in. I'm sure plenty of people will be interested in the deep end, andthey can meet up ad play too, via the power of networking :-)

Modern would be nice. I play a lot of casual. I run a very fun Genesis Dragon Deck in modern format for multiplayer.

Cool, I finally got this going, so I should be down with it. I'll try and make the deck that I use to use.

Edit: Oh hey, not being too into the tournament Magic stuff, so I'll have to look up these game types, or can someone just give me a quick overview of them?

Also, is there going to be something like ventrillo or Skype to talk to each other? It might be easier to figure out what I'm doing right or wrong if we got something like a chat going on.

Double post, but it's pretty good info, played a few games with Donut last night, and I was reminded that I should post some good deck lists for block to use as a starting point.

Note that these are not even close to tuned, and that i'm sure there are better card choices for some, but they are meant for a foundation.

Mono Red Aggro

4 Reckless Waif

4 Bloodcrazed Neonate

4 Village Ironsmith

4 Kurin Outlaw

4 Instigator Gang

4 Curse of the Stalked Prey

2 Traitorous Blood

4 Devil’s Play

4 Geistflame

4 Brimstone Volley

22 Mountain