NiGHTS Project with some music

Crossing

So myself (CROSSiNG) and some others were thinking of doing a NiGHTS into dreams project. It's a story retelling and will be made up of Various types of media, with different people working on different parts. Music, artwork, poems, videos, anything you can think of. We want to get a variety, not just one kind of art.

Original thread can be found here

Were going to have a proper signup thread soon.

That's pretty much what was done with NiGHTS: Lucid Dreaming released back in July for the game's 15th anniversary. There's some awesome music, beautiful artwork... I mean, you can expand upon that idea if you want (NiGHTS can never get enough love) but there's already something similar.

No, I don't think you understand. It's a RETELLING of the original game's storyline, and it's going to be done with all kinds of art. Lucid Dreaming was a remix of the Nights into dreams album. While it had art, it did not retell the storyline.

LOL Dave, I'm on the floor...laughing...in greatest fear.

Crossing, I think the reason everyone is responding like this is both how you presented the project as well as how you're responding to peoples explanations of things.

When I came to NiD.com with Lucid Dreaming, I had the entire project scope mapped out and knew exactly what I was looking for in regards to managing the album. While your project has a core idea, it isn't nearly fleshed out enough to begin recruiting of the type you're likely looking to do. I mean this with most sincerity because I want to see projects succeed, and of course I am biased towards all things NiGHTS, but I think this one is already taking a misstep with the way it is being presented. Before proceeding further, I would recommend whoever the "we" is in your last post to come together and get things more planned and mapped before asking for more people to commit to anything.

Since you haven't really said anything besides "it will be a retelling of the story" and "it will use all different kinds of artistic mediums", naturally posting something like this on OCR will conclude that at some point along the line, this will warrant some ReMix treatment. I'm all for it, there can never be enough love for the game's music. However, Lucid Dreaming just dropped not even 3 months ago, and that took 2 years to put together. Unless there is something radically different in terms of a musical requirement, people might not be ready to say "ok, lets go do this again" from an OCR perspective. As far as I am aware, there has yet to be a repeat album from a game on OCR, and with something as niche as NiGHTS, I doubt it would be so soon as opposed to something like FF7. There might simply not be enough musicians interested that weren't already in Lucid Dreaming, and those folks likely want a recess from that music for a bit before considering tackling it again.

Also, saying something like "this is the kind of response we expected from OCR" is very condescending and excluding, even if you say "no offense". Meteo has a very valid point when he says that, at cursory glance, this is way too close to what LD just did and that it is likely way too soon to ramp it up on OCR's end again. Mirby was politely pointing out about the LD album in case you hadn't been aware, so you didn't need to immediately respond by saying "no, you don't understand." I would imagine that it is very frustrating to be trying to be helpful like they are and then getting snapped back at in sorts.

Whatever you all come up with, I will be looking forward to it. Having just finished investing myself in something along these lines recently, I will have to pass this time around. Best of luck!

Also, Orangedragan, I read your minireview and it was beyond flattering. Thank you for enjoying the album so much and being such a fan, it really means a lot. If you do something for this vocally I will very much be looking forward to hearing it! :-D

Also, Orangedragan, I read your minireview and it was beyond flattering. Thank you for enjoying the album so much and being such a fan, it really means a lot. If you do something for this vocally I will very much be looking forward to hearing it! :-D

Thanks, 99, I seriously loved the entire album, though I'd never heard of the game previously. Best one on the site, and I always look forward to your work. This isn't really the thread for it, but do you know where I might be able to buy or rent some reliable quality recording equipment for cheap? No one seems to be able to gimme a straight answer. :D

Oh Brushfire... I had nearly forgotten that picture... XD

And yeah, it's as Stevo said. I was merely pointing out that album. I wasn't expecting such a snappy response, hence why I haven't said anything further until now.

Again, I wish you luck in your endeavor, but as others have stated already, it's too soon since Lucid Dreaming and from your vague description, too similar as well.

Brush that picture both makes me laugh and at the same time scares the hell out of me..

Crossing - As to not sound like a broken record for what's already been said I'll just say that I agree with what Lvl 99 said. You didn't describe the whole project very well and after Lucid Dreaming came out (yet another great album from OCR now xD) I don't think many people will want to join into this since this project seems to be something very similar to what's already been done. I'd wait awhile and maybe come back and you might some better feedback. Wishing you the best of Luck!!

---SkyRiderX

I'm aware of this current project you guys are trying to start up here (considering the original topic began in our forums back at the NiGHTS site).

I'm all for new NiGHTS stuff. The only problem is NiGHTS fan projects have a tendency to die out during production. There's been so many things started up by fans that are never finished so although i encourage you guys to give this thing your best shot i'm also skeptical about it ever being completed. So, when you have something to show in regards to your project maybe that feeling will be void.

Having a more detailed outline of exactly what you're doing might actually perk some musicians interests around OCR, but a huge number of musicians did just come fresh off Lucid Dreaming and will probably like to be trying their hand at something else.

tl;dr -

- I'm all for NiGHTS related projects, the more love the game the better, in my opinion

- Come back to OCR and ask again when you have a better outline of what you're doing. Maybe some of the musicians will feel more inclined to join up when they know exactly what it is you're doing.

When recruiting for a remix album, it's usually a good idea to already have some remixes done and/or some big enough names on board so it looks more like something that's actually gonna get done than something that some dude appearing out of nowhere thought up without any resources to back it up.

We don't know you or your skill level, so we don't know if this is coming from a near-pro music person or a random 10-yearold, and we don't know if you've got pro-ish remixers on board or it's just you and your idea, so we've got no clue as to whether this is gonna go anywhere. Can you make music? If ppl think you can hold your own on a remix album with ocr folks, your project will look more feasible.

That said, this thread is just fishing for interest. Give him a break, guys.

Good luck. :)

• 1 month later...
If there is a need for someone to give out candy dressed as a gay clown from space. Just check out this picture of me.

I think it speaks for itself.

df8a240515beea9a1cc46fcc2d8deccf4g.jpg

My name is Mud - not to be confused with Bill or Jack or Pete or Dennis...

Are you sure that's not David?

It might be Stevo, but I think he has a beard...