Achievements for Old Games

Ferret

If you were tasked with creating achievements for updates to or rereleases of old games for console or PC, which games would you choose, and what sorts of hallmarks would you see as being worth logging? Of course there would be the gameplay related ones, such as picking up a particular weapon for the first time, but also more esoteric ones (hopefully that don't revolve around repetitive actions that take hours to complete).

Of course, this goes hand in hand with achievement generators which were popular in the past, but instead of creating fake 'real life' achievements or adding your own ideas to games made after the achievement craze began, you would be focusing on your classic favorites.

Ideas should be example of realistic goals, however (nothing like "Beat all Wily forms in Mega Man without taking damage", not all of us are that good) and able to be obtained within a reasonable amount of playthroughs.

Any takers?

I'm game. I'll start with a few NES favourites.

Bionic Commando: Meet with the enemy en route and defeat them. Destroy six reactors. Collect all radios.

Blaster Master: Fully power-up your gun. Defeat an area boss.

Bomberman: Defeat all enemies on a floor. Find an exit door before defeating all enemies. Collect a remote detonator.

Bubble Bobble: Complete ten rooms without losing a life. Collect all six EXTEND bubbles.

Castlevania: One achievement for each boss you defeat.

Contra: Earn an extra life. Complete any stage without picking up any power-ups.

Double Dragon: Learn a new attack. Learn all attacks. Knock Abobo off of a conveyor belt.

Dragon Warrior: Gain a level. Learn a spell. Defeat a dragon.

Final Fantasy: Gain the ship. Defeat a Fiend. Battle WarMech.

Kirby's Adventure: Defeat any boss without taking damage. Combine two enemy powers. Use the Microphone.

The Legend of Zelda: Find a Heart Container outside of dungeons. Buy a Blue Ring. Defeat a Gohma with a single arrow.

Mega Man: Defeat any Robot Master. Find the Magnet Beam Generator. Defeat all six Robot Masters.

Mega Man 2: Defeat any Robot Master with a single attack.

Metroid: Defeat Kraid. Defeat Ridley. Find six Energy Tanks.

Ninja Gaiden: Defeat the first boss without taking damage.

Ninja Gaiden II: Collect two Shadow Ninja power-ups.

Super Dodge Ball: Win a match. Win a Beanball game. Be the first to lose a Beanball game.

Super Mario Bros.: Collect one of each power-up (Mushroom, Flower, Starman, 1-Up). Complete a World.

Super Mario Bros. 2: Play as each character at least once. Complete the game using only one character.

Super Mario Bros. 3: Win a mini-game. Match 3 end-of-stage tiles.

Zelda II: Complete a Palace. Find the Hammer. Learn all eight spells.

That should be a good start. Maybe later I'll think up some for other systems.

I'm game. I'll start with a few NES favourites.

Bubble Bobble: Complete ten rooms without losing a life. Collect all six EXTEND bubbles.

Dragon Warrior: Gain a level. Learn a spell.

Final Fantasy: Gain the ship. Defeat a Fiend.

Kirby's Adventure: Defeat any boss without taking damage. Combine two enemy powers. Use the Microphone.

The Legend of Zelda: Find a Heart Container outside of dungeons. Buy a Blue Ring. Defeat a Gohma with a single arrow.

Mega Man: Defeat any Robot Master. Find the Magnet Beam Generator. Defeat all six Robot Masters.

Super Mario Bros.: Collect one of each power-up (Mushroom, Flower, Starman, 1-Up). Complete a World.

Super Mario Bros. 2: Play as each character at least once. Complete the game using only one character.

Super Mario Bros. 3: Win a mini-game. Match 3 end-of-stage tiles.

Zelda II: Complete a Palace. Find the Hammer. Learn all eight spells.

I've done all of these.

Gradius: [Fully Equipped]: Reach maximum power (all options, laser, missiles, shield) without use of a cheat code.

Crystalis: [Take that, Guard!] Paralyze an NPC.

Adventure Island 2/3: [Collector]: Hold two of every item in your inventory.

Adventures of Lolo: [sneaky Snake]: Get Snakey to reappear in a different place after blasting him.

Blades of Steel: [i Hate Sports Games]: Win at Gradius.

Clash at Demonhead: [Doomsday] Fail to disarm the bomb.

Fantasy Zone: [No Legs]: Finish a level without landing.

Gargoyle's Quest 2: [Where Angles Fear to Tread] Fly across a large gap with the Wings of an Angel.

Flying Warriors 1 (and 2, Japan only): [Only Human]: Finish a Dark Dimension battle without transforming.

Little Ninja Brothers: [Athlete]: Finish every minigame during the course of the RPG.

Milon's Secret Castle: [beeliever]: Find and collect a Hudson Bee.

Nightshade: [Relic Hunter] Collect the Urn and the Amulet.

Power Blade: [Metal Man] Finish a level with the Power Suit.

Power Blade 2: [Patriot] Finish a level with the Patriot Suit.

Startropics: [Ace Pitcher] Defeat a boss by throwing baseballs.

Startropics 2: [Just a Baseball Player] Finish a level without Psychic Shock Wave.

World Cup Soccer: [bigfoot] Perform a special move without using a bicycle kick or headbutt.

Zelda: [i Know My Way Around]: Get through the Lost Woods.

Ninja Gaiden (NES): BEAT THE GAME

That's just the bronze trophy. The gold one is:

[Masochist]

(Beat the game without dying)

Other ideas I had about this include:

Super Mario Bros: [Mini-Mario] (beat the game without obtaining a powerup)

Chrono Trigger: [Master of Time] (view all endings)

Mega Man X: [Maverick Hunter] (beat all 8 mavericks in Sigma's Fortress without taking any damage)

Mega Man X: [Haduken] (perform a Haduken)

GoldenEye 007: [use the Facilities] (return to the bathroom vent after dropping down)

GoldenEye 007: [shaken, Not Stirred] (unlock all cheats without using passcodes)

Pokemon Red/Blue: [The Very Best...] (catch all 150 Pokemon)

Pokemon Red/Blue: [...Like No One Ever Was] (catch Mew)

Zelda: Majora's Mask: [Last Second] (play the Song of Time at 5:59 am on the third night)

Continued, and inspired by BardicKnowledge, with named achievements. Now for the Super NES.

ActRaiser: [believe In Me] Max out the population of any town. [Godly Power] Use every magic spell and power of nature.

Chrono Trigger: [All Together Now] Use every Double Tech and Triple Tech.

Contra III: [Twice As Nice] Collect two of the same special weapon.

Donkey Kong Country: [All By Myself] Finish a level with only DK or Diddy.

Final Fantasy III: [Osmosis] Any character learns every magic spell.

Illusion of Gaia: [Ooo, Sparkly!] Collect all fifty Red Jewels.

Killer Instinct: [C-C-C-C-Combo!] Perform one of each level of combo, including Ultra and Ultimate. [Lord of the Dance] View each fighter's Humiliation.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past: [Master Using It...] Get the Master Sword. [Aww, a bunny!] Venture into the Dark World.

Mega Man X: [Hmm. Upgrades.] Install an upgrade. [shinkuu-Hadoken!] Install the Hadoken upgrade.

Secret of Mana: [As the Dragon Flies] Rescue Flammie. [ultimate Weapon] Have Watts forge any level 8 weapon. [The Power...] Maximize the power of any Elemental.

Super Mario Kart: [Top This!] Win the Gold Cup in any series.

Super Mario RPG: [Visitors] Find Link and Samus.

Super Mario World: [behind the Mask] Complete the Special World. [i've Been Everywhere] Find all 96 level exits.

Super Metroid: [big!] Defeat Kraid. [Hot Bath] Defeat Crocomire. [Full Power] Collect all Energy Tanks.

I may go back and label the achievements I thought up for the NES games. Coming up later, N64 and Game Boy... perhaps.

Continued, and inspired by BardicKnowledge, with named achievements. Now for the Super NES.

ActRaiser: [believe In Me] Max out the population of any town. [Godly Power] Use every magic spell and power of nature.

Chrono Trigger: [All Together Now] Use every Double Tech and Triple Tech.

Donkey Kong Country: [All By Myself] Finish a level with only DK or Diddy.

Final Fantasy III: [Osmosis] Any character learns every magic spell.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past: [Master Using It...] Get the Master Sword. [Aww, a bunny!] Venture into the Dark World.

Mega Man X: [Hmm. Upgrades.] Install an upgrade. [shinkuu-Hadoken!] Install the Hadoken upgrade.

Secret of Mana: [As the Dragon Flies] Rescue Flammie.

Super Mario Kart: [Top This!] Win the Gold Cup in any series.

Super Mario RPG: [Visitors] Find Link and Samus.

Super Mario World: [behind the Mask] Complete the Special World. [i've Been Everywhere] Find all 96 level exits.

Super Metroid: [big!] Defeat Kraid. [Hot Bath] Defeat Crocomire.

Done these. I'd also add:

[speed Demon] Beat a ghost driver.

[unique] Unlock the Special Cup.

[Prismatic Pathway] Get the Gold the Special Cup.

[50cc Champion] Get all golds in 100cc.

[100cc Champion] Get all golds in 100cc.

[150cc Champion] Get all golds in 100cc.

[Grand Champion] Get golds in every cup, in every class.

To Super Mario Kart.