Dark Souls

Guest Chibi_Ma

• 2 weeks later...

Been putting in time when i can. My overall impression so far is very positive. If anyone is on the fence or is curious about the game, here's my initial take after a solid.. 6 hours invested?

- The overall difficulty is juuust right. It is a bit harder than the original, but you know what your getting into this time around, so.. it kinda works out. As far as I can tell, death has slightly less impact this time around because your health bar doesn't get cut in 1/2. It's also easier to gain and spend points to level up - you can do it at many spots in the game.

- There are very few games that do skillful melee combat well, and they just nail the formula so well that it's the hallmark of the franchise for me. Every swing has a weight behind it, the combat is so deep and engaging that it reminds me of a good fighting game most of the time. dodging, blocking, parrying, light vs heavy attcks - they all have important uses.

- The game explains very little, and keeps a sort've 'directionless' viewpoint towards the player. It is fairly linear at least this far, but I wish they would explain a bit more about the game before your thrown into it. The tutorial is as bad if not worse than the original. I feel like someone who skips the first game would really be at a big disadvantage here.

- Fuck the Red Dragon. Seriously.

I got a chance to play this game for a day with a friend of mine and let me tell you, I've seen HELL.

I've been jones'n for an action rpg lately but this game is ridiculous. If you are the kind of person that enjoys pulling out their nails one by one. You might make it through the first couple of areas. Gameplay is all about baby steps towards the end and will it take FOREVER to get through. Forget the novelties of swinging an axe into your foe, collecting armor, or even developing your character. The real gameplay here is repetition. Each time you play through a small area, defined by the locations of the bonfires, you may be able to take a few steps further than you did the last time, and if you do, your only options are to turn back and spend the souls you have, which respawns everything exactly where it was before, or die.

I love From Software, I love Action Rpg's, I love looting the fallen, collecting weapons, and developing my characters, but I absolutely ABORE THIS GAME! I hate every moment of it, it's torture to play, and if you make it a bit further than you did the last time there is just more repetitive hell waiting for you.

Which doesn't explain why I feel like I might run out tonight and buy it.

and if you make it a bit further than you did the last time there is just more repetitive hell waiting for you.

Only if you play this game like any other action rpg (which means not spending LOTS of time to actually think about why you died and how you could have not died) ;)

If you systematically do this, the game becomes "easy" kind of quickly :)

Bought it, didn't get to play very long since my parents were here for their vacation. Also I couldn't get online then since there was a software update and I really wanted to try the game.

I find the unusual hack 'n slash controls to be more frustrating than the game itself. I almost always found myself dying because at some point I'd try to use the X and O instead of R1/2 and L1. Once I finally get used to the controls, I'll proly stop having problems with unwanted chaining actions too.

Starting with the naked hobo was probably not the best idea either.

I'm still enough of a masochist to start over once I'm not so sick anymore.

Only if you play this game like any other action rpg (which means not spending LOTS of time to actually think about why you died and how you could have not died) ;)

If you systematically do this, the game becomes "easy" kind of quickly :)

There is kind of a tactical side to this game, unlike other action rpg's, and if you pull it off right and make it to a boss with all of your estus potions un-imbibed, than there is some limited satifaction to be had. Until you run back to the bon fire and do it all over again. 4 more times, and die a few times because your plan didn't work quite as well as it did the one time.

My point is that until I played this game I thought games were fun because they were enjoyable. Now i realize it is possible to have fun while being tortured, but your not going to realize it at first.

If they had a decent multiplayer option for this game too i would be playing it right now.

It's awesome. But, I can't quite put my finger on something about it I don't like...it's very hard for sure but Demon's Souls really was truly special. I'm about 35 hours in and still trying to do the boss battle at Anor Lando, that painting level using the doll is a great place to farm souls. It's huge too I often find myself sitting at the bonfire for a while just thinking about somewhere I can go back to or an enemy I can kill now, it'll be a while before I dare try the Tomb of Giants. But still...how do I put it? If you missed out on Demon's Souls you still missed out on something Dark Souls just doesn't fulfill somehow.

If they had a decent multiplayer option for this game too i would be playing it right now.

It is decent you can host with a white stone and have up to two other people play the area you are in as long as you are human (I think) and that goes on until you either beat the boss together or leave the area. I do get a bit pissed off when someone invades your game when you reverse your hollowing and they obviously have been playing far more than you have (far too long far too quickly too!) and they just taunt you then rape you.

I got a chance to play this game for a day with a friend of mine and let me tell you, I've seen HELL.

I've been jones'n for an action rpg lately but this game is ridiculous. If you are the kind of person that enjoys pulling out their nails one by one. You might make it through the first couple of areas. Gameplay is all about baby steps towards the end and will it take FOREVER to get through. Forget the novelties of swinging an axe into your foe, collecting armor, or even developing your character. The real gameplay here is repetition. Each time you play through a small area, defined by the locations of the bonfires, you may be able to take a few steps further than you did the last time, and if you do, your only options are to turn back and spend the souls you have, which respawns everything exactly where it was before, or die.

I love From Software, I love Action Rpg's, I love looting the fallen, collecting weapons, and developing my characters, but I absolutely ABORE THIS GAME! I hate every moment of it, it's torture to play, and if you make it a bit further than you did the last time there is just more repetitive hell waiting for you.

Which doesn't explain why I feel like I might run out tonight and buy it.

This post is perfect

My one friend on xbox live has been multiplayer alot lately he's staying in some sort of forest area for pvp with a covenant and he seems to get invaded alot.

Has anybody beaten this my one friend says he's on his third playthrough and the game scales like crazy on repeat playthroughs.

I've always loved dungeon crawlers and action rpgs, I'm also a huge fighting game fan.

This game seems awesome with all the combat and dungeon crawling aspects of it.

Almost sort of has a Sporeish idea with the online singleplayer approach it has to multiplayer.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Much needed necro-post for this.

I have about 80 hours invested into the PC release so far. It's a super barebones port and shouldn't be played with kb+m but there's a fix to up the resolution to 1080p, and it runs smoothly at all points (including Blighttown). DLC areas are spectacular, have some of the most fun bossfights in the game and add some cool new items.

That said, holy shit this game. If this is what happens when a japanese company tries to make a western-style RPG I'd be totally okay with JRPGs ceasing to exist in favor of games like this. It manages to take the nonlinear/sequence breaky level design of Metroidvania games and combines it with a robust stat system, some of the best realtime combat I've seen, and enough weapons, armor sets, and spells to provide plenty of fun customization. The death mechanic/difficulty, the multiplayer component and the deliberately light plot/lore are all gravy but very awesomely handled nonetheless. I just wish it was easier to connect to other people but that's more the fault of GFWL.