OCR01366 - *YES* Mega Man 6 'Flurry of Frozen Fury'

djpretzel

I love Blizzard Man's theme.

You followed the same chord progression but you rushed the melody. It sounds really odd and disjointed like that.

Every single instrument besides the pads in this song has a really punchy quality; it sounds like they're being played way too loud and then scaled back so that they won't ruin the production; sax in particular is a really hard sound.

I feel like I'm getting assaulted by notes here.

I dunno, I'm not feeling this one; the syncopation doesn't really lock together, and the interpretation of the A section of the melody feels rushed without fitting with the chords.

Other judges will probably disagree but I say NO

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman6.zip - Track 2 ("Blizzardman Stage")

This one was pretty chill, and the audience for VGF56 were definitely impressed with this one when it hit the air. Megman VI had a really good soundtrack. Not quite up there with MM2 or MM3, but it was a welcome change of pace from the lackluster themes of MM4 & MM5.

Cool opening inspired by the source material, and some piano handled the rearranged melody nicely at :19. Already pretty stylish at the outset, I just knew this was gonna be solid. Some very dense strings joined in harmony with the piano at :34 and the soundfield was nice and dense.

Nice acoustic guitar section at 1:10 to change the mood of the piece; it worked well to create some dynamic contrast without even changing the tempo, followed by the chorus at 1:27 on strings.

I liked the sax work arrived at 2:03 in a nice original section, before sexin' the ladies down at 2:41 with the Blizzardman melody once again. Later some airy female vox handled the chorus. The instrument variation presented here was a huge plus for the track.

DarkeSword pointed out that he felt as if many of the notes were too punchy, though I disagreed with that as an issue. To me, the performance style was impactful, though for others it may strain realism too much.

At times, it felt like the track had a bit too much reverb, but overall everything was pulled off with skills. The arrangement was very engaging, and I'm glad Don decided to send it. Vurez has been someone I've been aware of for awhile at VGMix, as his multiple Megaman VI mixes initially caught my attention. He had a close call with his Ys VI remix, but I really hope that's resubbed as well. I hope Don keeps us in mind for future submissions, including his other MM6 material, and his Ninja Gaiden mix "Basilisk Run". Nice work, bro.

YES

This is an interesting change from your Ys mix.. and I'm glad to see that you've restored some of the production 'sparkle' I felt was lacking on that other one. In fact, the production quality of this track in general is very good. All effects are used tastefully, and the EQing really makes all the parts flow without getting too muddy. I honestly don't have a gripe with the instruments like the violin, sax, and piano, or their sequencing. Sure, they might not pass for human, but is that the point? This mix is a big fusion of genres already, so having some parts showing their synthetic nature really doesn't bother me. The sax, vox, and marcato strings were particularly well used, in fact. My only complaint in regard to the mix's execution is that the drums sometimes felt too rigid and march-like, somewhat out of context with the very chill nature of the rest of the song. I guess I would have liked to see a more flowing groove of some sort.

The arrangement was strong overall, representing the original well while still having original sections and variation. No problems there, though the ending kinda caught me by surprise.

Overall, I think this is a great mix, and I have few complaints. Good job!

YES

I agree with Darkesword in that some of it is just a bit too punchy and abrasive. But I don't think it's too bad at all.

CHILL BIAS

This is super chill, well thought out and emotionally stirring. It's nice to hear an arranger that isn't afraid to completely alter the presentation of a melody, while at the same time retaining the spirit of the original. Other than the "punchy" comment, the technical side of this is very well executed. I'm not one to try and fix something that isn't broke.

GJ

YES

-D