R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Flexstyle

I remember playing Oregon Trail on Apple computers at my elementary school as a kid. I remember getting an iPod for my birthday and thinking "wow, this is some fancy tech. how did this guy think of something like the click wheel?"

RIP Steve Jobs. May your innovations inspire others.

I remember playing Oregon Trail on Apple computers at my elementary school as a kid. I remember getting an iPod for my birthday and thinking "wow, this is some fancy tech. how did this guy think of something like the click wheel?"

RIP Steve Jobs. May your innovations inspire others.

Ha! I remember Oregon Trail! I think there was "Yukon Trail" too.

I too remember Oregon Trail in elementary school. Might be the first shooter I ever played.

I got an iPod and it was all buggy and didn't work well with my PC so I traded it for a 30gb Zune. It still works to this day, like 5 or 6 years later. My sister and her husband have gone through a few iPods. I do think Microsoft is very superior to Apple in both regards to construction, quality, and availability, but Apple's impact on the computing wurld is pretty undeniable. Could have been better. Like Microsoft.

Super sad. Nearly every innovation he created was emulated by other companies for decades.

ಠ_ಠ I don't get this, Jobs is a marketing genius, an incredibly savvy business man and the work he and Jonathan Ive put into the modern Apple tech line up is impressive, but very little of it is actually innovative. The vast majority of what Apple sells can be traced back to someone else, hell the first Apple personal computer is damn near a carbon copy of the computer xerox had made but essentially given up on. Who would want a computer in their home anyways?

Jobs is responsible for bring these innovations to the forefront of western culture and with him gone it may take longer from new innovations to gain popularity. That, in my estimation, is the biggest loss resulting from Jobs death. However, he wasn't responsible for many of the innovations in the first place so that exciting new tech will still be there, just less shiny and probably cheaper.

Prob would not be buying music or have the same childhood if not or him :cry:

As weird as it is to think about it, the entire path of my life (and countless others) was set in motion by Steve Jobs.

My grandparents on my mom's side met at Apple in the early days. My grandfather's employee number was 256 and my grandmother's (a year later) was 644. They loved working at Apple so much that their wedding reception was at Apple, in a Apple building, with all Apple employees.

I was born before my mom turned 20 so we were living at my grandparent's house for a while. In that time, I became fascinated with my grandfather's computers. I remember one time in particular where one minute I had downloaded a game and a few minutes later there was a virus on the computer. I was hooked, for better or worse xD

When I was in third grade, my grandfather gave me his old IBM machine. That was the first computer I ever owned, and this would be the computer on which I would (still in third grade, mind you) learn HTML and write my very first website at the ripe age of EIGHT.

Nowadays, I cringe at the idea of actual web programming and avoid HTML whenever possible, but I am studying computer science and going into video game development.

This is a route that probably would not have been as fun to go down had I not had my amazing grandfather with his computers, who in turn would not have been there in the first place if he didn't work at Apple, which in turn would not have been possible if it wasn't for Steve Jobs.

Thanks Steve. You have not only shaped my entire life, but you have given two of the most important people in my life the best job of their lives that they still miss to this very day. R.I.P.

I too remember Oregon Trail in elementary school. Might be the first shooter I ever played.

I got an iPod and it was all buggy and didn't work well with my PC so I traded it for a 30gb Zune. It still works to this day, like 5 or 6 years later. My sister and her husband have gone through a few iPods. I do think Microsoft is very superior to Apple in both regards to construction, quality, and availability, but Apple's impact on the computing wurld is pretty undeniable. Could have been better. Like Microsoft.

Microsoft is okay if you like unstable operating systems.

Windows is a C++ clone of Macintosh's OS. Try reading the Apple v. Microsoft opinion sometime. It was Microsoft openly admitted in court that they stole Mac's design features, but their defense was that they had the license to do so.

Microsoft scammed Apple with an agreement that Apple's idiot legal team didn't read in 1985.

Also, I don't know what your sister and her husband did to their iPods to make them break so easily, but I still have mine from early 2007, and it works great.

Anyhow, we have Steve Jobs to thank for the GUI being available on PCs - Windows included - so I hope Apple has a great backup plan because last time he left, the company approached bankruptcy.

EDIT:

ಠ_ಠ I don't get this, Jobs is a marketing genius, an incredibly savvy business man and the work he and Jonathan Ive put into the modern Apple tech line up is impressive, but very little of it is actually innovative. The vast majority of what Apple sells can be traced back to someone else, hell the first Apple personal computer is damn near a carbon copy of the computer xerox had made but essentially given up on. Who would want a computer in their home anyways?

Incorrect.

Xerox's GUI had solved some of the problems that Apple was having in developing the Lisa, but it was anything but a carbon copy. At most, Xerox's system inspired Apple's development team to keep pushing ahead with the project by showing them that their problems could be solved.

Also, Xerox didn't exactly "give up" on it. The top brass at Xerox weren't interested in anything being developed that didn't have anything to do with photocopiers.