*NO* Super Mario Bros. 3 'Pyramids of the Koopahari Desert (String Edit)'

djpretzel

Hey.

Here is my very first submission to your site.

Title: Pyramids of the Koopahari Desert.

Note: Though there should be no problems, you may have to copy the link to your address bar.

Contact Info:

ReMixer name: Random Hero

email address: cc971751@hotmail.com

ReMix Info:

Name of game ReMixed: Super Mario Bros. 3

Name of individual song ReMixed: World 2 (Desert Land) Map music.

Song Info: This is the second and final version of this song. I did submit an earlier version on vgmix.com but this one is of much higher quality in my opinion. The re-work served as a way to develop ideas for a totally new remix. Hope you like it.

Thanx

Random Hero aka Ryan

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/smb3.zip - Track 2 ("World 2 Map")

Pretty cool opening, though I didn't like the opening synth appearing at :11. Just a subjective thing, so it's not a hit against the track as far as the vote is concerned. The arrangement itself was alright. The strings at :30 were a decent touch but were way too synthetic sounding, the decays in particular. Some of the compositional ideas with the strings, for example :46-:54, were a little too spastic, but that's fairly subjective. Besides, you had the right idea in general and most the ideas there clicked.

New section at 1:17 and I'm hurting a bit on these inhuman strings, because they're seemingly meant to be used in a realistic sounding context. The tambourine was a bit too loud compared to the lead here. Pull it back a bit, perhaps. The drum pattern was a little plodding at 1:35. Good key change at 2:10. Heard what felt like an awkward note at 2:32, and the drop in key at 2:36 was abrupt and sloppy. 2:56 sounded like an unpurposeful skip; if it was intentional, it didn't work well.

The foundation of the arrangement was too repetitive (yeah, I know how the original sounds), but overall I felt the composition was definitely over the bar. Just need some refinement on the sounds. I know stuff like Final Fight CD "Adrenaline Rush" got passed a while back having the similar issues as this, but the bar's moved higher than that so I need more refinement here. I could definitely see this getting YESs as is. Good job so far.

NO (refine/resubmit)

Good creative spin on an incredibly repetitive source. The basic melody is accounted for with plenty of original material mixed in to keep things fresh.

As a matter of preference, I think the key change back to F at 2:37 is odd and not really necessary. Loved the switch up at 2:10 though. Along with transitions like 1:34, 1:54, 2:28 I think a good amount of dynamic contrast was created. Unfortunately a lot of it is masked by some of the more repetitive elements in the mix, i.e. the drums and the strings playing the theme. I’m glad that this mix is kept short and sweet but with the lack of variation in the basic drum pattern, plodding is the only word to describe the feel.

Sample quality wasn’t hot but it worked to a degree. The percussion and the synth strings have that SoundBlaster default vibe to it that’s not really distracting but it could be improved upon. The piano is really shrill and could also be substituted. The bass…whoa there’s no bass! As a result I think much of the mix feels a little hollow and not as powerful as it should. Even something subtle would help.

Audio glitch at 2:57 needs a-fixin’

First, work on the drum pattern variations or possibly other ideas to kill the plodding feel. Then, put a little time into improving the quality of your sounds and you should be good.

NO (Please Resubmit)

I tend to lean a bit in favor in passing this one. I agree that the sounds are nothing special, and while they could be better, they really didn't harm the listening experience at all for me. What can I say, I just flat out enjoyed this. The arrangement is quite impressive, full of energy, and a joy to listen to from start to finish. Excellent use of dynamic contrast throughout and the way you managed to develop and expand such a simple little theme is rather commendable.

The only thing that truly bugs me about this (and it *really* bugs me) is the audio glitch at the end. But I won't reject the whole mix for that.

YES

I'm impressed that the remixer here was able to turn such a minimal amount of source into something actually interesting. Without question, I think the arrangement is great; it's got a strong structure, and doesn't veer far away from the original (or its general feel). However, the production/execution is somewhat problematic. The sounds border on general MIDI in quality, for one thing, and I know that there are better free samples out there - I also know these sounds could be better used. For one thing, it's not a good idea to sequence fast string runs with samples like these, because it really sounds bad when you do. Consider getting a new sample for the faster runs, changing the sequence to something less 'machine gun', or simply getting a new instrument to play the run. The synth timbres are pretty dull and bland; they have little to no processing and no automation to make them sound any better. Spend a bit more time on the synth parts to make them interesting, and/or check kvr-vst.com and patcharena.com to get some new sounds in that area.

The guitar that comes in later is also pretty weak. You should put some extra distortion and EQ on it to give it 'bite', layer it with a synth guitar, get another guitar sound, or some combination of the three. As is, it sounds flat and blatantly artificial. Finally, I think a lot more could have been done with percussion. Considering the mood and tone of the mix, you could focus a bit more on ethnic percussion or at least up the volume on the parts you have now. Also, the 'main' drum pattern is not much more than a placeholder, playing a simple rhythm on what sounds to be a GM-quality acoustic kit. Pick up some new drum samples at hammersound.net or look for "nskit" by Natural Studios to breathe some life into your acoustic drumkit parts. Judiciously adding compression can make the pattern stronger too.

In short, good arrangement ideas, but falls short in the production area. Work on that and resubmit.

NO