How long did it take you with mixing?

It's taken me two and a half years to get to where I am now. I'm sorta lazy so it could have been a bit quicker than that but whatevs. Just keep working at it and getting feedback and help from others and you'll get somewhere. I still need years of improvement and there's still other genres I'd like to experiment with as I'm primarily a metal producer/songwriter but I'm significantly better than I used to be, considering I've gone from this to this.

It's taken me two and a half years to get to where I am now. I'm sorta lazy so it could have been a bit quicker than that but whatevs. Just keep working at it and getting feedback and help from others and you'll get somewhere. I still need years of improvement and there's still other genres I'd like to experiment with as I'm primarily a metal producer/songwriter but I'm significantly better than I used to be, considering I've gone from this to this.

Ah ha! I heard that head smasher track. I love it. Pretty awesome outlook on it Luke.

I came here knowing the tools but not how to really use them right. Spent a year on the feedback board and #ocrwip, got posted a little over a year after I joined.

Now I oughta learn how to make my drums better in sound, writing, and mixing; I've also gotta learn how to have more direction to my arrangements, not to mention learning to do well in a few more styles or genres.

My first big jump in mixing ability, where I reached a professional level (eg. my music could be licensed and used in productions w/ no further work), was after about 2 years of music making. It was a combination of collaboration with tefnek (observing his techniques), better listening equipment (headphones) and critical listening to other tracks for comparison. I've improved since then but it has been more gradual.

I've been making music for 5 years, but only really learned production and mixing (and composition) in the past 2 years. Sure I'm not SUPER PROFESSIONAL MASTERING ENGINEER but I know my way around an EQ.

I suck at mixing and mastering.

At first, music was just a hobby I did while drinking, so I didn't concern myself too much with it, but recently, I decided I really want to try to take my music to the next level (while sober). So, that means, I really need to learn how to master my tracks.

I've been listening closely to different types of music and artist, and trying to figure out how to produce those types of results and so far, I still suck. It seems like, my music is always too quiet. But, when I try to bring up the levels a little, I get muddyness. Then, I compress here and there, neaten things up a bit, then its too quiet again. :banghead:

Since my dad lives so far away from me, I'm just not sure where to turn to get advice, examples, a little hand-holding, and critiques.

I started professional mixing around about five years old.

I also learned how to lie then too.

I was actually reading a study that recently showed humans are all born liars. We have to learn to tell the truth, but lies are natural.

Some real awesome posts (imo anyway) in the thread so far.

I suck at mixing and mastering.

I'm way worse I garauntee you that. I'm trying to learn how to EQ correctly so that I can get moar clarity. Most days it just feels like I don't get better though :???:

The most boring part of making music to me is mixing and mastering. I'd rather have someone else do it. But it is nice to have the song sounding better in the end :9

If you're doing plain instruments, sure.

But one of the most fun things about making electronica with your own stuff (instead of preset synths or sampled drum kits) is experimenting with effects and going "whoa I can't believe I just made that sound".

If you're just talking about balancing and EQ, that stuff becomes elementary if you have good headphones and you have someone else guiding you.

I sucked at it. Then Rozovian taught it to me in a half hour AIM conversation. Now it's simple to me. :mrgreen: I'm not the best at it, but I've been told I'm not bad.

The last issue of Music Tech i picked up back in August (no small feat being in the states) has a neat little mixing tutorial video. Kind of nice seeing something done right in front of you rather than trying to relate something you read about in an article to your mix. My only gripe is that it's too short and he only does the drum tracks, but seeing how he starts a mix cleaned up some of my questions and I might now be able to get off on the right foot when I begin.

Does anyone know where i can find more of these mixing tutorials from Groove3? I'm not in the UK and can't get a subscription to Music Tech.

Neblix: Yeah I'm not much of a sound creator, thought about buying harmor and z3ta earlier but I prefer tweaking presets in my alchemy libraries :P

I don't mind balancing and eq it's just that I don't find it very fun (some songs can be troublesome for me though, getting it to that "happy with" place). I mostly like composing.

http://soundcloud.com/williamthurin/magic-makes-it-all-complete this song took forever to mix and master and I'm still not completely content how it sounds.

By no means am I a good artist, but I have gone from this (an original track) to this (remix of Plack Beach) so I think I've improved. I look forward to the day when I finally figure out mastering and everything.

But both of those took about 2 hours.

Yeah, another Plack Beach remix!!!

http://soundcloud.com/chimpazilla/dark-beach-40