OCR02306 - Super Dodge Ball "Friendly Fire"

djpretzel

I liked it, though not as much as some of the other rock remixes here (Im looking at you Pipes by Seventh Epic) but none the less still a solid performance.

now if WillRock or anyone else would do a solid heavy metal mix of

the castle theme from chrono trigger (they'd be the first ones) I can die happy.

keep up the good work

OMG, just WOW! I'm just listening to this on laptop speakers and the synth/guitar rockin' is blowing me away. I'm very excited to listen to this some more.

What I love about this more than the production is the perfect balance between the guitars and the synthesizers. Defintely one of my fave mixes on the site! I'm not familiar with the source but this is definitely enjoyable for those that aren't.

Hearing it as the last track featured in the trailer, I'm glad to see that this effort from both Will and Stevo made the mix flood!

Writing-wise, Will definitely DOES rock here; say what you like about drum sample issues, but the way of writing with those definitely helped bring the track to life and showed emphasis that late 80s synth rock approach to it. The theme even was picked apart and worked well in regards to the progression, and Stevo's solo (which I'm guessing is around 1:30 in?) also added that much of a sugar-rush for the notation heavy.

Even the synth work was really highlighted over; I honestly believe that that kind of empahsis is Will's main strength, and while more understated than in some of his previous works the way they used definitely provided a good lift towards the track's direction.

Mind, on first listens to this one, I kind of had a little issue with the guitar recording and them sounding a little too low-mid dependant, but as the track managed to get on it was soon balanced out by the sharp synth work and I got to say it lifted the track quite well.

Another issue I had here though was more due to length; there were so many ideas being presented throughought the track, and yet when it was feeling ready to come towards one last rush through the C/D sections of the theme at least, it then chose to end the same way it began. So it kind of felt like a weak way to finalise it if you ask me, unfortunately. :(

Alas, synth rock definitely isn't an easy thing to produce, and with a source as crazily detailed as the Vs theme, it was made even more difficult in regards to pacing. I'm going to have to say though that while I ultimately wasn't quite as crazy over this one as some of the other tracks on the album, what they did was really moulded it into a firm and melodic experience from start to finish.

Will, I suggest you keep living up to your name and keep working with this genre should the opportunity arise again; the details are there, but with it leaving the listener hanging for more, you've really got to up that ball game (no pun intended). I know you can do it :)

Writing-wise, Will definitely DOES rock here; say what you like about drum sample issues, but the way of writing with those definitely helped bring the track to life and showed emphasis that late 80s synth rock approach to it. Stevo's solo (which I'm guessing is around 1:30 in?) also added that much of a sugar-rush for the notation heavy.

Will, I suggest you keep living up to your name and keep working with this genre should the opportunity arise again; the details are there, but with it leaving the listener hanging for more, you've really got to up that ball game (no pun intended). I know you can do it :)

Hahaha all the guitars here were mine, minus that guitar solo at the end, which was stevo. Thats the solo I was refering to in the write up. He actually contributed the Drum Samples, some drum writing, and Mastering.

As for "living up to my name" I certainly intend to do it. Unfortunately, my guitar has a very nasty habit of buzzing whenever I try and record my guitars due to electrical equipment interfering with the guitar signal, which makes doing this style extremely difficult for me. I didn't have the issue when I was at uni, but i'm currently living at home and I haven't found a good place to record my guitar there... :( So for now, doing rock music is hard. Once i've sorted out these issues tho, I'll be doing alot more rock style remixes... I am called WillRock for a reason ;)

• 1 month later...

Stevo and Willrock shredding and working together on one song makes for another great track on Around The World! Amazing soloing and guitar work, and the drums sound good from the intro all the way to the end, even if it did sound kinda weird to end the ReMix on. I'm a fan of the 80's synth rock genre and I really have no complaints on this one. Nice work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02306 - Super Dodge Ball "Friendly Fire"