*NO* Battletoads 'Gargantua Speedway'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/battle~1.zip - Track 20

Some truly ugly, grating synths introing things. They were pretty abrasive, but things finally got underway at :43. Nothing particularly melodic or interesting happening aside from that damn annoying effect that's supposed to be going past some save point or something in the race. Jeez, I'm starting to sound surly as hell now, but this is just getting to me, sorry. Arrangement's basically the same as the source so far.

Finally at 1:31 we got something new, but immediately it starts repeating too much instead of developing into anything. [shakes head]. I know the source tune is like that, but geez.

Then we sped up at 2:35, and there's still nothing melodic happening. At 3:26 we got some drums and that recurring note pattern. Still nothing major.

There weren't enough interpretive ideas here, and the original was way less annoying. Instead of relying on the groove of the original, please interpret the material further next time instead of basically covering it with this downgrade. I give you points for TRYING to interpret the original, but it's not many points.

NO

Jeez, I'm starting to sound surly as hell now, but this is just getting to me, sorry.

You're not alone.

This just sounds all like a mass of buzz. Arrangement isn't particularly expansive, and I'm afraid to say the original didn't have much musical properties in it. So I'm not really sure what it's supposed to do for the general public.

Too repetitive, simple and buzzy. I like how some of this was constructed and put together, but the result overall just needs a lot of work conceptually and compositionally. Some parts reminded me of WipeOut's soundtrack, those parts I did enjoy to a degree. I did like the last sections though when the buzzy synths weren't suffocating the entire mix.

NO

That bassline is killing things here. Yeah, the source bass is doing the repetitive distorted near-drone thing but that shouldn’t have been carried over to the mix. I must also stress that the random ascending buzzy synth that we first hear at 0:30 is not cool. It could have been worked into the mix in a creative way but the way it’s used here is similar to the original which is far from a good thing. In general the synths were too buzzy to extend throughout the entire mix as they did. Some of the cooler parts of the mix were where smoother instruments join the party (1:31, 3:27,…)

The beats didn’t carry much momentum. Try not to overwhelm the drum track with so much snare work. I think the best percussion in the mix comes at 3:27 when the elements are more sparse and it is much easier to feel the rhythm.

Tempo changes were ok but overdone.

It would have been an amazing thing to hear a great arrangement of this source so I’ll say good effort. For now, keep working at it.

NO