Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011

DarkeSword

I'm honestly so glad I ended up with this theme because that MM2 Wily theme and Bubble Man are the only two themes from any Megaman game that I know how to play. Lucked out here, haha :-D

Likewise. It's my turn this week - and I've covered this source before. Needless to say, mine will be mostly focused on Cold Man, but Wily 2 provides me a killer way to mix it up. I was kinda disappointed when I first saw that it was Wily 2... now I'm kinda excited.

But anyways, ARRRGH, off to work with me.

Or we could just pick three, each gets a point, and our team gets one point if our mixer for the round votes. That way we don't have to try to decide which is our ultimate favorite first place mix, and there's room to give equal points in different categories (eg best mixing, best arrangement, best name/sound/friend; punch, groove, expression; or whatever; if ppl wanna vote based on that).

Just throwing it out there. :D

Or we could just pick three, each gets a point, and our team gets one point if our mixer for the round votes. That way we don't have to try to decide which is our ultimate favorite first place mix, and there's room to give equal points in different categories (eg best mixing, best arrangement, best name/sound/friend; punch, groove, expression; or whatever; if ppl wanna vote based on that).

Just throwing it out there. :D

I do like this idea.

Actually, I think in PRC you vote for three mixes, not one, (scaled by 1st - 3 points, 2nd - 2 points, 3rd - 1 point). This helps diversify what tracks get the spotlight and prevents a situation where one track gets all the votes while other good tracks go into obscurity. And yeah, no voting for yourself, but you get a 1st place vote if you do vote.

I'm in favor of this voting method. Since we have 12 teams, voting for your Top 3 or even Top 5 would make sense. Voting for only one could lead to a few teams with a bunch of points with the rest all very close together. If we wanted even more variability we could rank order all the tracks, but that may make the voting process kind of tedious.

Personally, I think voting for more tracks is better. Otherwise, too many of the unanimously lesser tracks end up on equal footing and you might end up with a bunch of ties in the lower half of the ranks.

Also, Geoffio is Cold Steel's second mixer.

I prefer this method, so that people like me can get a vote or two.

But we all know the rules here. Darke will decide whatever his whimsy makes him decide, and we can't do a bloody thing about it :P

I'm really excited for Gemini man and splash woman against wily 10-1. Those both seem like really good combinations. And then zerothemaster has also gotten me really hyped for search man!

Looking ahead to next week, Bubble man and flash man plus wily 2-1 quite honestly gives me the shivers. I mean, people mix those the most because they are some of the best. And adding them together is... certainly unique. Mindblowingly epic, too. One or both of you should submit their mix. I can just imagine djp saying "We've got a lot of flash man mixes. We've got a lot of WIly stage 2-1 mixes. But we didn't have any combining the two together until today!"

Tomahawk man and wily 2-1 should be really interesting too. Tomahawk's got a style I really like, that should go well with wily 2-1. Shadow man and wily 2-1 is a pretty epic setup too.

Excitement all around!

Well, Strader beat me by miles. :/

CURSE MY LACK OF DECENT MUSIC MAKING SKILLS

*hears halc track*

I should just give up. ;_;

*hears NutS track*

What have I gotten myself into...

*hears Main track*

One of my favorite remixers

from my favorite fansite

crushing me like a small insect...

Oh well, at least I wasn't the only person to use Wily laughing samples XD

*hears Lidawg track*

>.> I am the wimpiest person here

*hears AMT track*

Dayng. I'm screwed.

Kudos for taking Pirate Man, I love him.

*hears Covenant track*

I am so not worthy to be among these godlike people.

*hears my track*

*hears briggs track*

*puts gun to head*

*hears SupX track*

:/ I have no clue what I'm doing.

Hah I probably didn't beat you man, I don't think there is a bracket anyway.. i wasn't up against you... not in this competition anyway... :twisted::shock:

Anyway I'm right there with you in the losing stack I bet, trying to go up against halc and chth at their own game :-P Internet is as slow as dialup, 24 minutes left on the download for the zip. So annoying.. :-x

Hah I probably didn't beat you man, I don't think there is a bracket anyway.. i wasn't up against you... not in this competition anyway... :twisted::shock:

Anyway I'm right there with you in the losing stack I bet, trying to go up against halc and chth at their own game :-P Internet is as slow as dialup, 24 minutes left on the download for the zip. So annoying.. :-x

I was under the impression that we all are up against each other...

Eh, screw it, I had fun ^.^

Congrats to everyone on some awesome entries! Track impressions:

She's A Squirter (Really, Brandon?) - NOT what I was expecting from you; I'm digging it! Loaded this up expecting face melting black metal and got some groovy electronica. I'm loving the bent synths and glitchy soundscape- I've never heard you do anything like this and quite honestly it's way better than I would have expected you to do in the genre. Sounds like it'd be used in a real Megaman game, like a reimagined update.

Don't Make Me Cut You - Chipstep? Dubtune? Whatever this is, it's awesome. Lovely soundscape of glitches, noise, and lush synths. Did Willrock do that synth solo? Sounds like him, but whoever did, it's really cool- sounds like a guitar solo played on whatever sound chip the Genesis had. Parts of the song remind me a little bit of The Wily Malfunction, and that's a good thing.

Totally Rad Winter - This is the 80's distilled into pure groove. That bassline is hypnotic and the texture is perfect. This may be my favorite entry! I seriously can't stop moving to this.

Double Doctors - The intro with funky drums, salsa piano, and sampled voice clips bring Jet Set Radio to mind, which is a very good thing. Reminds me of Electric Toothbrush a little bit. The hard hitting electronica is fun to listen to and you really get some momentum going with that quick switch to four-on-the-floor at the very end.

The Knight who says ROCK! - Rock indeed! You and I were thinking similarly and I really like your take on it- The bit at 1:59 particularly brings some nice atmosphere to the song. Your guitar playing is awesome- my only gripe is that the rhythm guitars could have been a little beefier. Other than that it's solid and I really like the integration between the two sources.

Burn The Castle - Oh hey, it's mine! Don't have much to say about it. Neblix rocks for making the awesome big beat transition into the solo, and I really wish the initial guitar tone you hear is better- the octave effect works fine for the rest of the song, but it creates an ugly first impression. Ah well, I'm still extremely happy with how it came out.

The Last of the Clan - This is just too cool; awesome work, Jason! It's a totally original take on both themes. I was surprised it was so short until I looked at the timestamp and realized it wasn't short- it just went by fast because I was enjoying it so much. Deciding between this one and Totally Rad Winter is going to be really tough for me.

Two Minds Without A Single Thought - You have some good ideas in here; the part around 3:30 is probably the strongest part of the song, when the pads are complementing everything and sounding decent. You get serious props for giving this a shot AND attempting the most ambitious song of the lot. Unfortunately, the song has timing issues and could definitely be stronger. Hang out in the WIP forums- everyone is super friendly and helpful, and you'll improve in no time. Keep it up!

Dubious Brother - Man, I wasn't expecting this much sampling in these entries; more funky electronic goodness! Some of the synths are a little vanilla, but the whole song is very well arranged and has a definite groove to it. Very danceable.

Under Construction - For a second I thought this might actually be a piano solo, haha. Some Genesis-y synths and various instruments make an eclectic but interesting soundscape. I really like the rhythm changeups you have in this- they add a lot of flair and add an unpredictable nature to the song (in a good way). The arp'd synth from the original put into piano here is particularly cool.

Excellent work everyone- voting is going to be hard D:

Two Minds Without A Single Thought - You have some good ideas in here; the part around 3:30 is probably the strongest part of the song, when the pads are complementing everything and sounding decent. You get serious props for giving this a shot AND attempting the most ambitious song of the lot. Unfortunately, the song has timing issues and could definitely be stronger. Hang out in the WIP forums- everyone is super friendly and helpful, and you'll improve in no time. Keep it up!

I wish I agreed, but my one experience with the WIP forums was less then decent. :/ I couldn't really tell if everyone hated me or if I was just overreacting :/