Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011

DarkeSword

Aye, it was open to everyone so of course people of many different skill levels are involved. I'm still learning a lot myself but I gave it my all, as did others I'm sure.

Same here. I'm simply going to keep trying and learning with each mix and do the best that I can.

One's eventually going to be the 'charm' :).

*sigh* Just not the one I sent in today. :(

I preferred PH's track for the Mega Ballers and Amphibious's for the Gentlemaster's Club a lot more than their teammates' tracks last week.

Yeah, I agree it does differ by team. For example, I enjoyed Brandon's track from The Bad Guy Robots more than his teammates' track this round :razz: lol

But no, seriously, I'm just here to have fun and enjoy all the cool new Mega Man remixes that we wouldn't have right now otherwise if this compo wasn't going on. Which is why I've been pretty lenient on my criticism; its not like we're the judges panel here. It's amazing what we've all been able to throw together in just a week's time, so we should all just be having fun and taking this as an opportunity to get better. I know, myself at least, I've learned a ton just by messing around, working under the time crunch, and getting feedback from my awesome teammates and everyone else here!

The Root of All Things - Nice arrangement and soundscape. I think the only thing that bothered me about it is that it seemed to lack some polish. It wasn't anything fatal, though, and still a very enjoyable mix.

Wily's Inferno - I was a little unsure during the start (I'm not a bit fan of orchestrations), but it definitely seemed the appropriate soundscape for the song's title. Really liked the song after about 0:45, though, and the nice soundscape persisted throughout the mix (made me think of Wily's fortress in an active volcano).

Attracted to Power - Easily one of the most polished songs this round. I really enjoyed the arrangement and style of this mix. I think the only critique I could give this one is that it seemed to lack a strong sense of direction (that is, I didn't feel the song really went very far from the beginning to the end of the song). Obviously, that wasn't enough to dissuade me from giving it my #1 vote, though.

Mr. X was Wily the WHOLE TIME - Geez, thanks for spoiling Mega Man 6 for me (or, you know, you would have if I hadn't already played it 17 years ago and several times since then). Anyhow, I think I would have enjoyed this mix a lot more if it weren't in a minor key. Although the arrangement was executed well enough, I just couldn't enjoy the song that well because of it; it distracted me throughout.

Smooth Heat - I really liked the style and arrangement of this song. What didn't sit well with me was the production. It seemed like the samples were really muted, making the song itself sound muffled. I'd really like to hear what this song would sound like after a few run throughs in the WIP forums. It's going in a great direction.

Glacial Age - Man, are you ever self-effacing. You should send this one through the WIP forums, too to fill the song out a little bit, but you've got some great ideas in it. I'd really be interested to hear this one as a more finished product.

Light Your Way - This one would've been my #4. Classic Neblix with a little intro and outro guitar strumming thrown in. I really can't give much in the way of critiques to this one, but I think you missed out on the top 3 because I just wasn't personally as taken with the arrangement of the song as the other three (not that there was really anything wrong with it; just personal tastes)

Far From Home - Great arrangement, production, etc. What killed it for me is the lyrics. Not that they weren't superbly done. I just hate lyrics in video game remixes. If it weren't for that, this one would have been in the top 3. No real critiques with this one.

Shadows of Wily - Much different than your Oceans EP (which I listen to very regularly on repeat, by the way), but still very well executed. I'll probably be listening to this one quite a bit. The problem with it? The length -- it was too short. If it were over three minutes, it would have gotten bumped up a spot or two. Still an excellent mix.

whatever.jpg - Don't be so damn hard on yourself, Emunator. This is great(I happen to like piano solos, so I guess I'm a bit biased). I don't know if you need to go back and master it or what not, but you should definitely give this one some more love. Also, a real name.

No Ticket! - Speaking of names, love this one! Also loved this mix and I wish we didn't have to narrow it down to three. I can't think of any major critiques for this one; just keep up this level of excellence for the next round you're mixing in!!

Glitch in the System - Things were going so well in this groovy mix until 1:30 when the weird ass robot voice starting saying all kinds of crap. Also, the song was relatively short, but the thing I noticed (and disliked) the most were the voices. The song up to that point was great.

I'm just gonna say right off the bat, this vote's gonna be hard. Usually I've got a clear direction my vote is leaning, but this will be hard... No matter where I place my vote, I feel like I'll be ignoring the credit some deserve. I personally think this was a pretty epic round!

Glacial Age - Man, are you ever self-effacing. You should send this one through the WIP forums, too to fill the song out a little bit, but you've got some great ideas in it. I'd really be interested to hear this one as a more finished product.

My apologies; it's a personality quirk; hard to change after all these years. :smile:

Let's see...

Xarnax, too, pointed out how empty the mix was, but at the time, I was totally blank, even after sleeping on it. I shall attempt to fix that with my next round's mix.

As for coming back to this mix? You can count on it. As I learn more, I fully intend to finish this up.

Thanks for the kind words!

Now... to get on voting for some mixes myself...

I'm not really one for reviews, but I must comment on a few things.

First off Far From Home sounds like something more from Depeche Mode or New Order than Megaman. Not that that is bad per se, but a little strange when looking for a Megaman remix.

Why are the Megaman 8 songs disappointing me? Seriously, I wanted more from Searchman and Frostman. Maybe it is just my own expectations...

Mr. X was Wily the WHOLE TIME - Anyhow, I think I would have enjoyed this mix a lot more if it weren't in a minor key.

Both sources are already minor, but it sounds like he switched from natural minor to harmonic. Although I'm just going off what I hear, and I'd need to do additional analysis to confirm. But minor keys are a LOT more common than people realize, it only really sticks out when it's harmonic minor or some other mode.

Sorry, I literally cannot help myself when it comes to this sort of thing. <3 music theory :)

I'm not really one for reviews, but I must comment on a few things.

First off Far From Home sounds like something more from Depeche Mode or New Order than Megaman. Not that that is bad per se, but a little strange when looking for a Megaman remix.

Why are the Megaman 8 songs disappointing me? Seriously, I wanted more from Searchman and Frostman. Maybe it is just my own expectations...

I just suck.

Deal with it.

Both sources are already minor, but it sounds like he switched from natural minor to harmonic. Although I'm just going off what I hear, and I'd need to do additional analysis to confirm. But minor keys are a LOT more common than people realize, it only really sticks out when it's harmonic minor or some other mode.

Sorry, I literally cannot help myself when it comes to this sort of thing. <3 music theory :)

Yeah, I have almost no music training. I'm just a listener. But what you said = what bugged me.

Haha, didn't mean to come off as pretentious or anything, I'm just a big ol' music geek

You didn't come off that way. I really just don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to music and I'm not afraid to admit it. If you need somebody to tell you about fair use or derivative works, I can do that (but it can't be legal advice unless I'm licensed to practice in your jurisdiction). Actual musical theory, though, is foreign to me.

James Earl Jones would make an awesome bass. I'd like to hear him try some barbershop.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that is an untouched genre here on OCR. Someone should do a barbershop or acapella Mega Man mix for the compo :)

This would be DA BEST. Seriously, the only major remix acapella I've heard has been in person on a whim non recorded stuff or I think the Video Game Music Choir counts.

Mega man acapella would be so great

Hey, Akumajo, could we get the lyrics for Far From Home posted? They were really good (and distinct, so luckily supplying the lyrics isn't necessary, but would be awesome if you could!)

These eyes of mine take off the shine surrounding everything.

There's nothing out there but bitter, frozen snow.

We mend and then we fall again, like so many times before.

I know my place, I'm quite home in the cold.

I never said that it was gonna be easy

I never thought this angry colour would suit me so well

I can tell that you're done.

The snow falls upon the icy freeze

and this autumn paradise begins to shed it's leaves for the last time,

as I tell you that I'm done.

(Look how I've made you come undone.)

(Oh Oh Oh...)

I know you've taken me a million miles from home

(Oh Oh Oh...)

But I really think that I'm stronger here on my own

(Oh Oh Oh...)

I swear I never meant to end it this way, oh no

Oooooooooohh!

-----------------------

Thanks for the kind words! The lyrics are also in the ID3 tag :D

EDIT: Also, what a strong round... I've listened to it all twice over already. Great job this week guys and gals!!! Fantastic stuff from everyone.