Mega Man: The Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011

DarkeSword

Yeah, you lost me :[

I need to learn some more theory some time...

To clear up the theory, when you raise the 7th and keep the 6th lowered in minor (pretty much defining 'Harmonic Minor'), the interval between the 6th and 7th is an augmented 2nd. It's called 'Melodic' because you normally hear it when playing the scale sequentially rather than when it's in a chord (it sounds like a minor third, when in a chord). That gives harmonic minor it's 'exotic' sound, but sometimes sounds a bit grating, too.

I personally liked it in "Mr. X Was Dr. Wily THE WHOLE TIME", though - it gave it an interesting feel.

To clear up the theory, when you raise the 7th and keep the 6th lowered in minor (pretty much defining 'Harmonic Minor'), the interval between the 6th and 7th is an augmented 2nd. It's called 'Melodic' because you normally hear it when playing the scale sequentially rather than when it's in a chord (it sounds like a minor third, when in a chord). That gives harmonic minor it's 'exotic' sound, but sometimes sounds a bit grating, too.

I personally liked it in "Mr. X Was Dr. Wily THE WHOLE TIME", though - it gave it an interesting feel.

Melodic and harmonic minor aren't the same, though...

But you did clear up the augmented 2nd thing, thanks!

Melodic and harmonic minor aren't the same, though...

But you did clear up the augmented 2nd thing, thanks!

Last post on theory...

Melodic minor is not harmonic minor, no. Sorry, I wasn't clear - I meant harmonic as in a vertical interval (as those you find in chords) and melodic as in a horizontal interval (as one you'd find between two notes in a melodic line). I can see where it was confusing, though :P

All,

Here is a very unprofessional review ranked in order of my preference. Please take it with a grain of salt. Thanks for making all these wonderful songs!

1) Far From Home

You know it's a good song when it ends and you weren't even staring at the slider bar lol. Seriously though the tropical arctic vibe along with the snazzy vocals is very mellowing and causes the head to bob along with the beat ;) AWESOME stuff

2) Attracted To Power

Gario never disappoints. Nuff said. The blending of the themes is handled well and the change ups keep the song fresh throughout :) Maybe changing up the instruments more could make it a bit better but its only a guess from a guy who hasn't ever really mixed anything. I couldn't really find anything bad to say about this piece.

3) Light Your Way

I'm not a big fan of the acoustic parts but thats just my preference. The selling point of this piece is how the artist makes sure you never get bored with the song. Constant change ups and reinterpretations of the themes will ensure the audience never grows tired or can predict what will come next. Great work!

4) Shadows Of Wily

It pained me not to put this in the top three because it was so awesome :( I've never liked shadow man's music but Amphibious not only managed to blend both themes expertly, he made shadow man's music sound soooooo good :) Mad props to you amphibious. Wish it were a bit longer though. Thus song will remain in my playlist for a very long time :)

5) No Ticket!

Another great song that didn't quite make my top. I love the special effects that you incorporated throughout the song. They made the song feel very authentic and like you were at a train crossing while the train whizzed by. I can't say anything bad about this piece. I wonder if it could be improved if you went off in ad-lib land and came back tying it to one of the themes. Good Stuff :)

6) Wily's Inferno

41 seconds seemed like a bit of a long time before the real song started. That said once the song got started it was very good. I thoroughly enjoyed the WillRock solo sections :) To me it seems the themes were performed more separately from one another and not blended so much. A great piece nonetheless.

7) The Root of All Things.

The Wily theme is a bit more dominant in this song and the Plant Man theme is more subdued but it plays well. The softer melody is somewhat soothing. Personally I think straying a bit further from the sources could really make this a far more interesting piece. A solid piece nonetheless.

8 ) Mr. X was Wily the WHOLE TIME

The instrument choices didn't seem to mesh with one another so well but this fact sort of gave the whole song a very unique vibe :) I kinda like the feel of it. I could see this being used in a castlevania game in a section where your Belmont character is trudging through a maze with lots of fodder monsters. Nice work!

9) Glacial Age

Your a brave man to create a primarily piano piece Mr. L. This is a very different piece that is simple yet soothing. This is a great one to listen to while playing Skyrim and exploring the arctic tundra.

10) Glitch in the System

I love the drum beats at the beginning. Didn't care for the organ so much. The voices samples were interesting especially with the echo added. I think the song could be improved with the layering of more instruments. Also a more broad interpretation of the pieces could give you the space needed to blend the themes more successfully. The themes felt a bit forced together during the last 50 seconds. This is still a good piece.

11) Smooth Heat

Didn't seem very adventurous with the interpretation of both songs but a very solid piece nonetheless. It sounds too similar to some of the other remixes already posted on OCR though… Add more flare, ad-lib, and throw caution to the wind and I think you could make this piece really stand out :)

12) whatever.jpg

This is a very soft piece. Not my cup of tea but I suppose it would be great to try and go to sleep to this piece. It sorta reminds me of Jayson Litrio's wedding piece. Good work :)

Alright guys, here's the scoop. My life just got crazy busy, I was promoted to Judge and got hired for a new job the next day. On top of that I'm still a full-time student and I'm preparing to move into my own apartment over the next few months. With finals coming up, I can already tell that I'm not going to be able to give it my all in this competition; I already dropped the ball this last week due to serious time issues and I think it's just going to get worse.

So, the deal is, I'm allowed to drop out of the competition but whoever takes my place has to keep Bubble Man as their Robot Master and they must be able to stick it out through the duration of the competition. If you're interested, contact Ectogemia and chat him up and see what's up :-)

It really pains me to do this, I'm not the kind of guy who generally likes to quit these things, but after seeing how solid Ben and Nathan's entries were I felt like they deserve a teammate who can actively participate and has the time to dedicate to making a killer mix. Best of luck to everyone, I'll still be keeping up with the compo and voting and all that, but I feel like any further entries of mine will continue to be disappointing just because I don't have the time to commit to making something great.

Good luck dudes <3

so, the deal is, i'm allowed to drop out of the competition but whoever takes my place has to keep bubble man as their robot master and they must be able to stick it out through the duration of the competition. If you're interested, contact ectogemia and chat him up and see what's up :-)

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Can't blame you for having to drop out. Still sad to see you go.

unfortunate circumstances!

:[ :[

I'm only mad because you didn't close that message out with

"Forever HARD,

Emunator"

But I know it was implied, so it's ok!!

Honestly, I'm really not that well-connected in the OCR community yet being that I've only really been active for a few months, so if any of you know of any remixers who would like to join the competition, send 'em my way! Thanks & WISH EMUNATOR GOOD LUCK, OK?:D

First off, I'd just like to say that this has been a brilliant round. I've done some reviews (my god did it take longer that I anticipated) and hopefully they'll be appreciated. I haven't been overly critical as I feel in the spirit of this competition its for fun and with the pressure of time it really can take you out of your comfort zone. Hopefully these reviews are encouraging for the mixers this round. Great job everyone.

The Root of all Things: I liked the natural take on this. Nice mix between synths and pianos etc. The arrangement is really well paced and develops nicely. Overall the mix is really light and bright. This is really enjoyable and I don't think there is any one aspect that contributes to that. The music is really cohesive and just works which is perhaps what I like. I really love the ending, some great soloing :D

Wily's Inferno: OH DEAR LORD ITS THE END...........is how it felt with the epic opening. Bloody love it. The build is brilliant and when it kicks in after the intro its oh so satisfying. I hate how good those synth solos are.......please teach me your secret Will :( Really enjoyable, fun but solid (but then, who didnt expect that?!) Love the ending.

Attracted to Power: Great feel and wicked sound design. Really nice fusion of themes. Some really good disguising of the wily theme going on at the start. Liking the chiptune love here, something else I really wish I could nail. I'm in two minds as to whether it feels like there should be a change of pace at some point besides the ending but I really dig the energy.

Mr X was Wily the WHOLE TIME: And there I was thinking that when I had tomahawk man as my second pick, I'd get him but nooo you stole him.....I don't really care haha. A good take on the sources. Nice to see a bit of rock making it into this round. I'm still finding my way with production but I reckon the guitar could be better spread to create a foundation for the mix. Its a bit off-putting with it being all panned to one side. As far as the arrangement goes, I think it could be a bit better paced with more relief and build (yeah, I know my mix was just all guns blazing but meh)

Smooth Heat: Woo, Obtuse. It has a nice feel, very relaxed and indeed smooth. A real change of pace to the previous mixes in this round. I really feel that despite that, though, that with a bit more attention given to the drums a bit more life could be given to the mix. Good job bud.

Glacial Age: The name straight away gave an idea of what to expect. Glacial but lovely. A really nice atmosphere and interesting arrangement. Nice variation on a wily theme that I'm lead to believe has had a lot of attention.

Light Your Way: I really like this mix. The intro is fantastic and when it kicks in it is really satisfying. The lead seemed a tad burried at the start but seriously, I love this mix. Really well paced and brilliant production. The drums are really thwackin' in the face....I can dig that. A lot of variety and a lot packed in make this mix a gem.

Far From Home: God damnit, can you make a mix that I don't like? Its getting annoying haha. I really love this, the 80's vibe is......well my weakness it seems. This is really well written and how the Wily theme is used, I think, is really well done. Some cheeky moments where you think the Wily theme will kick in but doesn't. This is now on my regular playlist.

Shadows of Wily: Woo, some rock. Great performance here and nice interweaving of the two themes. The guitars sound wicked. I really feel that if the drums had a bit more production-wise a bit more energy could be squeezed out of the mix to give it more punch but I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to whatever you do next.

Whatever.jpg: Its a shame you didn't have more time to give to this and it sucks you've had to drop out but I really liked it. I like to be soothed sometimes with some delicate tickling of ivories. This should have been put in the middle of the track list for this round, it makes a great interlude. I'm sure you feel you could of done much more but I really liked this just because of the performance.

No ticket!: This is really in your face but works. A nice take on the themes here with a lot of energy. I'm liking the creative use of the samples. The pace is perhaps a little too much for me, but when I'm in a brighter mood I reckon I'll love it

Glitch in the System: The opening really reminded me of the chocobo theme haha but this is brilliant. Not heard anything like this from you but its great bud. A nice focus on the Crash theme here. I really wanted more though, the end sounded like it was gonna be moving on to something even more brilliant but still, good stuff.